Promoted Teams

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BostonDan, May 9, 2005.

1. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

We now know two of the teams that will be promoted, Sunderland and Wigan. Knowing little to nothing about the Championship League teams I am wondering how these promotions will impact Fulham's off-season strategy. Are these teams a threat to move up the EPL table or they likely to languish at the bottom, like the promoted teams this year? Will they be competing for the same players we would want? Will these promotions impact our off-seasons personnel decisions, and if so how?

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I would say the team that possibly could get promoted that would have the most money to spend in the transfer market is West Ham. However, they have to win the playoffs to get up here in the Premiership. That could happen, but it is not likely. II have heard if they do get promoted they will have 15 million to spend on players.

The way the Premiership is, I do not dear these teams and I do not think they cause a huge threat to anything we at Fulham would do. The yo-yo effect is alive in kicking each and every season with promoted teams. Chances are two if not all three of these teams will go down next season. Look at this year, we are going into the last week of the season and all three of last year's promoted teams are possibly gonna get relegated.

With the yo-yo effect the way it is, many clubs are afraid to spend too much money in the transfer market for fear of overspending, getting relegated and facing a lot of debt without the TV money and all the cash that comes with being in the Premiership.

This is a business the game of football and unless you are Roman Abramovich, you have a budget to stick to. These clubs will beef themselves up a bit, but not to the caliber of a mid table team.

Sunderland was in the Premiership two seasons ago and finished with a mere 20 poitns. They only secured one point after Christmas. In short, they were brutal! They have changed things around at the Stadium of Light under Mick McCarthy, but success in the Coca-Cola Championship does not equal any success in the Premiership.

How managers spend the money they are given will tell a lot about these newly promoted teams. For Fulham, we simply have to worry about ourselves and carry on with our business. We need not worry about these new clubs until we see them on the pitch next season.