Premiership 2012-13 Season

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by jumpkutz, Sep 2, 2012.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Didn't see a generic thread started for this topic, so I thought I'd jump in (no pun).

How bad have scousers sucked so far? Are they already in danger of relegation? REALLY glad Deuce didn't end up there.

I realize it's a marathon, but so far, nobody's really stood out to me. How's it gonna shake out 'til Christmas time?

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Van Persie with a hat-trick against the Saints, despite having a penalty saved. Chelsea has stormed out of the gate.

Speaking of S'hampton, they have played both City and Man United tough, but didn't get a result.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Saw the second half of the Southhampton-ManUre match and really unlucky not to come away w/at least one point.

Before the season when looking at the schedule, the WBA home match seemed like a comfortable 3 points, but the Baggies have already done the Merseyside double (3-0 over Liverpool, 2-0 over Everton), and stole a point at the end away to Spurs.

4. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Bad thing about WBA (and Swansea - Michu was a steal) starting so well is - the number of teams potentially below us seems to be getting smaller.
    Those two clubs won't stay at the top of the table, but I do think they'll stay above us.

We need some clubs to really stink it up this year......
    Enter:
    S'Hampton. Fun to watch, can Gaston lead 'em to safety? Love me some Ricky Lambert. Still likely to finish in or just above the drop zone.
    Reading. If we can't finish higher than these guys, we deserve to go down.
    Norwich. Losing Lambert will hurt 'em, and I would've put odds on them to finish 15-20 even with him as mgr.
    Villa. Is Darren Bent still alive? Is a Belgain striker enough to keep them safe? More importantly, will the Goose continue in goal? Surely, they'll be better than last year - simply by getting rid of McLeish.
    Wigan. Sorry, but this is the year the dream dies.

Are there any other teams that we are confident we're better than? We have more talent than Stoke, but Pulis knows how to grind it. Probably would've included the Spammers here, but they just tonked us.
    I'm hoping we can stay above the fray, but I'm feeling less confident right now....

5. jumpkutz

Was REALLY out of pocket this weekend (mother in law has no cable, wifi, internet, etc.). Saw Deuce get in 12 mins. or so against Reading. Is he gonna get any time there, or is he destined to be Bale's understudy? How do you keep last year's third leading scorer in the league on the bench? I don't understand. Unless it was just too soon....

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think the person who will suffer most from Dempsey's arrival at Spurs will be Siggerudson. Deuce will be the ultimate replacement for VanderVaart, and I think you'll see Deuce and Dembele eventually running the show. Deuce still looked tired, but made some nice runs [which were ignored].

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think Mr. Dempsey is going to work his way on the team off the bench for awhile. Not sure it was a wise move on Mr. Dempsey's part, but time will tell.

8. jumpkutz

11 whole days, it would appear. Still early, though. Might yet not work out in the long run. But, knowing what we know, would you bet against him after today?

9. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

His move to Spurs (anyone in the top 6) will always rub me, but he is a good player. His goal yesterday was more a showcase of how horrid Utd defense is vs. his true form, and that won't be his last. Hopefully there won't be one on his return.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, I had my doubts about AVB using him, thought he would have to prove himself over a longer stretch of time to his new manager. Dempsey had the advantage of Tottenham being in Europa League, and Premier League teams tend to use their squad's depth in those games. Kinda surprised by the speed to the 1st team, but not too much. Sigurdsson is a fine player, and kinda surprised they would be so quick to put him on the bench after spending a bit more for him than Dempsey. Dempsey was a kinda a last second bargain pick-up to Spurs, kinda figured he would be treated as such.

11. jumpkutz

12. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

If they were really sold on Sigurdsson at this time, they wouldn't have been after the kid from Portugal (and ultimately Dempsey). Sigurdsson is only 23, so he's the future and that's likely the only reason his price tag was higher. From seeing the two of them play, Dempsey is far more dangerous attacking and has a better read of the game. But Sigurdsson is good in possession. After Danny's comments (and many others) about CD's work ethic, I'm not in the least surprised that he caught the coaching staff's eyes quickly. He did the same thing here. The only managers it took him a while to impress were Sanchez & Roy and that was a lot earlier in Dempsey's development.

As for the comment earlier about betting against him, Don & I have often joked that he's the last footballer we'd bet against. If anything, I'd bet on him and then tell him I bet against him.

It always makes me chuckle how people will write off his goals as bad defending, poaching, etc but then he keeps getting them while so many others can't and don't. We're not a top 6 club, so I have no issues rooting for Clint and Spurs to break the top 4, ideally at chelsea's expense. I just won't root for them against us...obviously.

13. jumpkutz

Watched Deuce and Spurs vs. scum this morning. Hate to say it, but the dog trackers look pretty damn good so far. Spurs might have done better with Bale and Mousa, but I doubt it, visitors earned every one of their goals and should've had more (Torres). Clint seemed out of place, out of sorts and ineffective before being subbed out in the 70-something-ish minute for Adebayor. Probably had to do with the fact that he logged some serious mileage for USMNT this week and he started in Bale's spot on the left with Sigurdsson, whom he hasn't played with much, as he's normally replaced him in the lineup. Would like to see Spurs knock out one of the big clubs in CL, but their defense looked shaky today...but chelski seems to be making everybody look shaky so far this season. Law of Averages, anyone?

14. jumpkutz

Who was expressing doubt about Norwich's chances against gunners today? Ooops.

15. SoCalJoe

16. SoCalJoe

Was up early on Sat. and watched last 25 minutes of the first half of the awful ManUre-Arsenal match (thought I was watching a Sunderland-Stoke game). McManaman looked like he was going to blow a head gasket when he saw Van Persie give his jersey to an Arse player walking in at half-time. Good column from David Hirschey that's hits on Arse's downfall (finally someone comes out about Wenger's ridiculous poofy Michelin Man jacket :lol: ).

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/nam ... 42?cc=5901

Interesting question at number 4

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

YES! That's how to describe it.

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

QPR lose again. How much longer does Sparky last?

19. TJDallas

TJDallas New Member

Mark Hughes is done after the weekend and if he is not than front office has a lot of faith in him that i don't understand. He has a lot of talent on that team and should have done more with them than he has.

20. SoCalJoe

West Brom beats Chelsea 2-1 and are sitting in 4th. Pretty amazing since we destroyed them at The Cottage. Steve Clarke has to be the manager of the year so far.

Reading and Southampton off the schnide, QPHa rocked at home by the latter, give Sparky a blindfold and a smoke.