Predictions for European Leagues

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by ChicagoTom, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Okay, with the French Ligue 1 kicking off this weekend I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where everyone predicts league winners in each of the major European leagues. The German Bundesliga, French Ligue 1, La Liga in Spain, Serie A in Italy, Scottish Premier League and the Dutch Eredivisie. Premiership predictions will be done the week before things kick off on August 19th.

I will start:

German Bundesliga - Hamburg. I feel they have the guns to overtake Bayern Munich although it will be tough.

French Ligue 1 - Lyon. They will win their sixth straight with little to no trouble.

La Liga - Barcelona. Real Madrid is improved and I think at some point will overtake Barcelona, but not this season.

Serie A - Inter Milan. It is either Inter or Roma as far as I can tell. Inter has more talent and will win the deal. Whether they win it without scandal remains to be seen.

Scottish Premier League - Celtic. I would like to see Hearts win it to break up that Old Firm dominance, but it will not happen this season. Rangers will push Celtic, but I think ultimately Celtic will win the league.

Dutch Eredivisie - PSV Eindhoven. I think Ajax has improved this season, but PSV will be the top dogs in Holland for the third straight season.

What does everyone else think?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, let's see. I don't see any long shots, so:

Germany -- FC Bayern
    France -- Lyon [but I really can't get excited about this league; I think they're pretty pitiful]
    Spain -- Barca Lounger; Real is in a transitional stage on and off the pitch.
    Italia -- Inter is the best team, but I think the next logical step for the Italian courts is to award AC Milan the title around mid-November. :x
    Scotland -- either Hamilton Academicals or Berwick Rangers -- nah, Celtic
    Holland -- PSV. I think Danny Nguyen will be making an impact this season along with DMB.
    FFC -- I'll take Surrey over Mddx! :banana:

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Bundesliga - Hannover96; I like Cherundolo and their colors.

Ligue 1 - Rennes; I like their kit maker and colors.

La Liga - Barcelona; They are pretty much stacked.

Serie A - Juventus; They will toss the lower division teams around so bad, they will be allowed to make the jump before the half of the season, and then inspired, go all the way to the top.

Eredivisie - PSV; I own a jersey and skull cap, and refuse to purchase more than one Dutch team's gear. Even though I am down on DMB, Nguyen may be a breath of fesh air. And gosh darnit, this is a good team I can support in the Champions League.

SPL - Celtic; My wife is Irish,and I would not be able to join my family for dinner if I picked the Protestant Rangers.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Predictions for European Leagues

I know about this all too well myself. I have friends in Belfast I talk to regularly and let's just say they are not the biggest supporters of Rangers. If I ever cheered for Rangers I might not live to see another day.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: Predictions for European Leagues

I understand that completely. People will think you are joking about that, but it is about that serious.

Slainte!

6. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

RE: Re: RE: Predictions for European Leagues

Bundesliga- Hamburg SV/Have the talent to beat Bayern and win the league.
    Ligue 1- Lyon/Still the most talented team in Ligue 1.
    Eredivisie- Ajax
    Serie A- Inter Milan/Inter has no competition other then Roma and thats not saying much.
    La Liga- Real Madrid/I think Capello is the guy to bring cups back to Real
    SPL- Celtic

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Bundesliga-Hamburg doesn't have the better talent than Bayern, but will get the job done. Like the forward line with Sanogo,Lauth,and Guerrero and like the CB pairing of Van Buyten and Demel. Last season they came close and actually beat Bayern at the Allianz Arena this season they will overtake them.

Ligue 1-Lyon has the most talent and has probably the best manager in France. It will be a closer race, but Lyon will come out on top.

Serie A-Inter in a landslide. Seriously this could be quite possibly the biggest points gap in the history of Serie A. Inter are gonna sign Vieira and probably sign Toni as well. With that CM of Vieira and Cambiasso it's one of the best in Europe and how many goals could be scored between a possible Adriano and Toni partnership? Roma are rubbish FORZA INTER!!!

Eredivisie-PSV will win for the 3rd straight time. I expect this to be Beasley's breakout season where he is seen as a star around Europe and will move to one of the big clubs. Farfan could do the same.

La Liga- Real Madrid will win the league. With the signings they made they should win it anyway. Capello is a great manager and now they have the defense and the attack to win the League and are probably favorites for the CL.

SPL-Rangers have the talent to win the league and now also have one of the more underrated managers in Europe in Paul Le Guen.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

FFC, I just saw yesterday than Van Buyten is now at Bayern Munich.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Well then change that to Bayern. Don't really keep up on transfers much outside of England.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

C'mon Nantes!! I would be shocked if Nantes won this match but anything is possible. I predicted Lyon to win but they are the last team I actually want to win Ligue 1. I like seeing new blood winning titles in European leagues.

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I like Lyon's energy and comraderie (like them all dying their hair red, white and blue last season for the winning match, which they completely dominated), but it would nice if there was a bit more competition in this Ligue.

C'mon Rennes!!! (And Nantes, for today!)