Potential comings and goings

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by martin, Apr 25, 2005.

1. martin

martin New Member

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

That is great news about Liam signing an extension. I do not really care about Zat leaving. In fact, he has been crap the better part of the season. Only since Goma's return from injury has he played well.

I think if we go out and get a solid center half to replace him we will be fine there as long as Goma stays healthy.

I do not know much about Soares at all.

3. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

I agree. Too bad Zat wasn't born in the US. He probably would have been a good basketball player. I think he's always going to be inconsistent. Better someone with a little less talent and potential, but more steady. Another guy like Goma..

4. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

I think Zat got a bit nervous when he didn't have Goma in support. His height gives him a lot of range but it also slows him down a little bit against a smaller, more creative striker. With Goma he's got more freedom to use his size and if he misses on an aggressive move, Alain is there to help him out. But really, when he walks up to those little strikers the first time you have to think that they think twice against going up in the air against that guy.

5. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

OK, here is my rant for the day....

Zat Knight is a good defender but is too young to play centerback in the premiership. Only exceptional players can play this position at such a high level under the age of 25 or 26. Zat needs to go and ply his trade in Championship for a couple of years and then come back to us when he is able to read the game better and is no longer afraid to tackle in the penalty area.

So who do we get to replace him? My vote - and I am sure plenty will disagree - is darren Purse from WBA. He has premiership experience and is strong and uncompromising and would compliment the speed and guile of Goma. Together they could make a useful partnership - assuming Goma stay fit. We should also be chasing Sheffield United's Phil Jagielka who has earned his apprentiship in the lower leagues and in many people's opinion is now reaedy for the Premiership. Pearce shold only be kept as a back-up for emergencies.

As for the full-back positions, poor old Boca does not deserve to be judged on his play in this position. Its not his natural position and he needs a couple of seasons too in the Championship on loan with a promotion contender. Its not fait to play him at left back and watching him get caught out of position, or even trying to go forward, is embaressing and I am sure its humiliating for him too. He's probabnly a very capable centerback, so let's lend him to someone who will play him in that position and let him play week in week out against strikers like Horsefield etc.

This summer we will have many positions to fill. In mu humble opinion we are likely to lose: EDVS (to a Ducth team), Boa (to a bigger stage like Newscastle or Liverpool), Steed (he'll take his wife and kid back to France), Mc Bride (he'll come back to the US for a coupe of seasons of final glory) and possibly Collins John (who's ego will be too big for a semi-regular spot in the first team).

I'll be gutted to see most of these go, but poor Boa will fail miserably outside of Fulham - he is a big fish in a little pond here and the team plays around him. Others that SHOULD go are Leggy, Clark, McKinlay, Hammond, and of course Knight and Boca on loan to Championship teams.

I am sure some of you will ahve something to say about the above...but I think its time for a big summer clearout. Allez les blancs.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

As things said by CC on the site, and a hint on Clubcall {blind squirrel/nut?} causes me to rethink my earlier guess that MAF would send off Cookie.

He's finally come to realize he cant gut out against the wind or ignore he was playing 4-5-1 with a 4-4-2 team; SO perhaps he has re-thought the need for competent coaching and input on this level.

I also retract my earlier about McBride leaving for sure... I think there's more of a 50% chance he will stay. {will make small dig on Fulham fans taking 18 months to see what Preston and EVerton fans realized in one.}

If Cookie manages to stay on and does things right, I think he MAY convince Ed to stay on too. Then he has top deal with some other issues.

Getting Volz back on track, dealing with Zat.. or simply dealing him. If he did so, then he might pair Goma and Boca. Otherwise Boca should and probably would go to play in the Coke League. Then he has to finally get a LB...Liam has done great, certainly better than Carlos, but continual play there will end up the same for him. Remember Carlos was back there almost all of the 2nd half of 04 season and didnt do TOO bad.

Let Steed go... he's become disinterested... and get a replacement for Sean Davis.
    -then-
    If Boa Morte becomes convinced that FFC is going to an Attacking strategy he may well stay.

CJ will also stay if he sees he's going to be the man.. and maybe learn something big-time here.

Cole? I dunno... he's going to have to change both his mindset and his role. I f he does, he'll be valuable. If he doesnt he need to go to another lower ranked Prem club or the Coke league

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

See I think this is all a bunch of rubbish what Cookie is doing now. I think he is saying what he is supposed to say to the media now just to try and hold onto his job. He is a stubborn man and in some instances, that is good, but in others, I do not think it is.

I think the most important move the club will decide on this summer is the future of Chris Coleman as the manager.

I guess I will just come out and say that I think it is time that he goes. I think while he was a great players and has done some great things with this club, his time has run out on what he can do to better Fulham.

In addition, I do not think Cookie has a firm grasp on the transfer market like a more experienced manager like Redknapp and Strachan. Players want to play for managers like that. Cookie seems to want to find has beens in Wales and England and give them their final Premiership run outs before retirement or being dropped to a lower division.

It has bothered me for the better part of 4 months watching our lackluster performances because Coleman refuses to play a 4-4-2. To me, that is bad coaching. That tells me that he cannot evaluate the team as he should be able to do.

This club needs to take a different direction with things. A more experienced manager to bring in younger faces to the club with potential sell-on value will be good business for the club and Big Mo.

With Cookie, I just see the same thing next year as I see this year. And frankly, that is not good enough for us. With the players we currently have on our roster, we should not be in a position where we might get relegated.

A new manager will help build the foundation to bring in new faces for the team. I am not trying to be a downer or negative about Cookie at all. I care about this club a lot and I appreciate everything Coleman has done for us. However, to me, his time us up and it is time to bring in someone new. Our play in the last couple matches just goes to prove my point that we are capable of playing well if the manager would not be so stubborn and stern in his beliefs.

If a new manager comes in, perhaps other players like Boa, Steed, Papa and such will want to stay. Why would these players want to stay when we have played this way all season? To them, nothing is gonna change. Cookie is just saying things will change to the press. A new manager will keep players at the club and help bring in some good players at cut rate prices from places like France, Holland, etc.

It is time to move on in the managerial department at Fulham. I am sorry, I had to say it and let it be known what I think. Once again, I care about this club a lot and I have thought long and hard about this. I am sorry if I have pissed anyone off.

8. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Tom, I couldn't agree with you more....but I do not think Strachan or Redknapp are the answer....I'd look to Europe.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Rumours have once again resurfaced about Polish International Midfielder Sebastien Mila moving from Austria Vienna to Fulham this summer for around 2 million pounds. Mila was rumoured to be on his way to Fulham or Palace in January, but the deals never materialised and Mila played for Austria Vienna in the UEFA Cup.

Mila is an attacking midfielder and could add another dimension in the middle of the park for Fulham. He is creative and can pass as well as score from that position. I am not sure how quickly he could adapt to the Premiership, but I think it would be a great signing for us.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

From what I have read, Tom Soares is an 18 year striker for Palace that has a lot of potential. With Andy Johnson having the season he is having, Soares has not gotten a chance to play at all. However, many pundits think this guy could be a very good scorer in the league. From the latest on this guy, I also read he just re-upped with Palace so it looks as though we will not get him anyways.

11. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

I've read a few match reports on this guy and most of them describe him as the 'game's most dangerous player'. Could be Steed's replacment if he is planning on leaving this summer?

12. martin

martin New Member

I smell what you're cookin', Tom. It does seem like Cookie sometimes has difficulty figuring out how to use his players strategically. And there were several occasions where an apparent lack of effort in the first half left Fulham in a hole they couldn't dig out of. There is certainly room for improvement.

Still, I am inclined to give the boss the benefit of the doubt. He has rarely had a full squad to draw on. The entire midfield has been banged up at one time or another, plus Cole, Goma, and the list goes on. Having our best players available consistently would have made a big difference. Recent performances have been very good, so there is reason for optimism.

I keep hearing the comparison to David Moyes at Everton: surprising success two years ago, barely escaping relegation last season, and a potential Champions League spot this year. I'm sure folks were calling for Moyes' head a year ago. Maybe a similar story will play out at the Cottage. I can understand if Coleman gets the sack, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but I'm inclined to give him another year.

13. DCDave

DCDave Member

I've been concerned about some of the moves Coleman has made, and the plain fact that far too often the team doesn't look like they are really with it. However, the team has had a lot of injuries this year, and I'm one who is more likely to show patience (just look at my fantasy baseball team!). While Cookie was far too stubborn on the 4-4-2 thing, the fact is that eventually he did switch to it (and they have played much better). I'd give him one more year, and the resources to keep who we have (if we want to) and to add a player or two. I think the comparison to Moynes is a fair one, and if we can keep some guys injury-free next year, at least we could beat 2004-2005's mark and finish with a winning record.