"Posh comes to America"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jul 20, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I watched it twice, last night.

The second time was to make sure I wasnt getting the wrong vibe... meaning that, after the first few minutes, I did not view the program as a vapid exercise in celeb idolatry.

It would be all too easy for me to join the ranks of the cynical critics who panned the program as pure fluff, meaning nothing.

But I thought it was very interesting in terms of a reality show. What you saw of VB is what you get. Meaning, she's a human being and subject to all the faults and foibles as the rest of us. And we would look just as foolish, if we were recorded under the same circumstances.

The part I thought was most telling - and hilarious- was when Posh was invited to the silly hen party. Which, 'Hollywood Wives' style, turned out to be nothing but an excuse to get plastered.

From now on, by the way, you should know that if you encounter her, and she remarks on something about you as "Fabulous", or 'Major" dont start preening.

Summary: Like David, she's the genuine article, plastic or not, and fully capable of dealing with life and its realities... and not likely to go {any further} off the deep end.

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

fog i heard that this was a complete bomb....was supposed to have been some mini-series or something like that, but ended up being only half hour show or something...and I heard nobody watched it. Can you confirm any of that? i had heard this on sports radio talk shows...they were saying that Beckham's arrival will turn a few heads, but it won't change soccer at all as far as in the minds of people here in the states. what say you?

3. pettyfog

Well, like I say up above, that's the easy view.. and bound to be popular.

MLS didnt need saving, so if anyone says that, chalk them off. Beckham isnt going to be a goal scoring machine, but we knew all that already, didnt we?

But MY GUESS IS - his presence and contribution as a cohering force will be what it takes for the Galaxy to make a real run and improve their current disorganized form.

Already saw how that works with the Crew bringing in GBS, who is much the same role player but without the legs. Seriously, I may be remembering wrong, but the Crew's best attendances were when we played well in the midfield.. and that shows to me that the average casual fan DOES appreciate form. And when we played well in the mid, the game was never lost until the whistle blew. That's a fan draw, right there.

-BUT-
    Already saw with Angel and Red Bull how Reyna DOES NOT make a big difference, they cannot rely on him whether he's on pitch or just rallying them. Angel can only do so much. But Beckham's contribution will be more than that.

The real point is to shine a light on MLS and the improvement in quality of play.

To wit: Show the league is legitimate. The rest will take care of itself.

Back on topic {for here}. And Victoria will help a bit.

My GUESS is she will take the spot off the unfortunate Paris Hilton, and that isnt all bad either. Cause Posh isnt likely to get into the same ridiculous pickles.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Interesting take on Victoria, 'fog. There's a reason why the guy who wasn't England's nor Manchester United's best player was by far their best known, and much of that is down to Posh. She may not be the best singer in the world, but she's no dummy and she knows marketing. There are millions all over the world who knew who Beckham was before they ever saw a football match, and much of that is Posh's marketing of Becks to groups of people that were usually ignored as sports-marketing targets but NOT as entertainment-marketing targets. Beckham, like MJ and Ali and like NOBODY else is a brand name quite apart from what he does on the pitch. And she's a huge part of that.

Speaking of what he does on the pitch, his World Cup last summer, his contributions to Real down the stretch, and his performance for England this summer show that he's still got a lot of fire going. The first important step will be whether the Galaxy can resist ABC/ESPN pressure to put him in the Chelsea match. He obviously is smart enough to know that damaging his ankle for a exhibition match just to please TV is stupid for MLS and stupid for LAG. We'll see how willing Garber and Lalas are to do the right and smart thing as opposed to kissing major ABC/ESPN ass.

5. pettyfog

And -gasp- both MJ and DB wear number 23!

What # did Ali wear, I forget....
    ;)

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

that's interesting. and by the way fog...I've seen Crew several times since they added GBS and what a huge difference he has made!!!

Don...do you remember the timeline as far as when Becks and Posh got together? I don't recall, but i see your point as to how she played a major role in bringing him the populuarity status he now enjoys. I'll be keeping an eye on that match this weekend to see what the Galaxy does w/ Beckham. From what I've seen on soccernet...they will most likely bring him on as a sub because they think it's so important that he make an appearance.

As for Posh, I'm surprised at how little media attention I've seen directed on here since their arrival.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

They're both Clint Dempsey wannabees!

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I didn't have a chance to see the show, but I am hoping to catch the next episode. What time and channel is the show on?

I've heard mixed reviews of the show, but almost everyone says VB is hilarious. Should be an interesting watch.

9. pettyfog

Check Bravo lisitngs