Portugal v. Holland

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Jun 25, 2006.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

102 seconds before the first yellow card.

Does that beat the over/under?

At least it's in English.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Go Portugal! 1-0 at halftime!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What an incredible travesty. If 2002 was all about the emergence of Africa and Asia and the wonderful crowds in Korea/Japan, then 2006 will be remembered for stupid refereeing mandated by a bunch of people my age in suits who don't know anything about the beautiful game.

England's fans have to be peeing themselves over facing a Portugal side without Deco.

Shame FIFA. Disgusting

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I wonder if they can get that last yellow overturned. All he did was pick up the ball hold it for two seconds and gets tossed to the ground and picks up a yellow? Unbelievable. Worst ref of the World Cup, and he has beaten out some tough competition.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

The refereeing was an absolute joke. I believe there were 16 yellow cards and 4 reds. That is just unreal. The ref lost complete control of the match and it is my belief that the players began to take advantage of things. Some flops and dives from the likes of Figo and a few of the Dutch players brought out more yellows and even a red from the ref.

What I will say is that the better team won the match today. The goal was scored before all of the garbage surrounding the ref, but it was still a joke as the result of this game will not be remembered, rather the horrible job of the referee on this day.

We will see what England can don on Saturday against the Portuguese team. Will they make amends for the 2004 Euro quarterfinal they lose on penalty kicks or will they fall once again to Big Phil's boys? All I will say is that England will need to play much better than they have so far in this tourney if they want to advance. Despite not having Deco for this match, Portugal is still a very formidable opponent and one England should take lightly at all.

6. martin

martin New Member

I did not think the officiating could get any worse after USA-Italy, but I was so wrong. It gets worse every day. Holland-Portugal was a complete nightmare. And the ref didn't even call what I thought was the worst foul of the day, the flying dropkick to the back that should have won Robben a PK.

I can't figure Maniche out. He scores at will for Portugal, but whenever he appeared for Chelsea last season he looked like a complete retard.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Re: RE: Portugal v. Holland

This straight line created so many potential punch lines I fanned.

8. FulhamCubin

FulhamCubin New Member

RE: Re: RE: Portugal v. Holland

Well there goes my shot to sound like a genius...picked the Dutch to be the sleepers of the tourny.

If Ruud went in I think the Netherlands could have won that game and I'm sure the coach is gonna catch a lot of flack for that.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Portugal v. Holland

Well it could be worse. I picked Serbia & Montegro :(

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Portugal v. Holland

I was attending a wedding today so I missed this match.

I've just read through the stats and match reports and all I can say is WOW! This just digs a deeper whole for this World Cup with regard to refereeing. In 2010, all you are going to hear about in the month prior is the refs, how they are going to be picked and what happened in '06. Ugh.