Pork and the Senate: Hang Ted Stevens!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 2, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Actually the lynch mob has formed and this crook is gonna get his.

Never let it be said that Pettyfog looks around this bullsh*t because of party labels! A crook's a crook.

The issue: A proposed open database in which we could see who attached earmark spending to other bills. Stevens put a secret hold on it... and got found out.

Now it seems Robert Byrd the long-time biggest offender, and the one that all big-spend Republicans try to emulate! has done the same.

2. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

*cringes*

Petty's right!

*cringes some more*

At some point, maybe when Congress realized that Dubya was going to be the "I've-never-seen-a-spending-bill-I-didn't-like" President, the "Conservatives" in Congress gave up on all of their traditional conservative ideals (note the small "c" conserative here... small government, states rights, leave-us-the-heck alone attitude) and started spending like crazy.

Add in no-bid contracts, no oversight of spending projects and we have a Bridge to Nowhere!

And since we're on the subject of Ted Stevens... do you think he still gets his mails through tubes on the internets? The guy can get money for a bridge but he doesn't have the slightest idea how simple technology works... Thanks, Alaska! Thanks a million - oh wait, you don't have that many people...

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I love the porkbusters, but I don't see them winning this fight or making any headway. Pork is how deals get done on the hill now. "You support this bill and I'll be sure to put something nice for your district in another bill." Anybody on the Appropriations Committee or who has a shot on getting on the committee is going to put a hold on any bill that get's in this little scheme's way. It's how it's done and nobody (taxpayers) really complains. Certainly not when a new park or bike path is built in their neighborhood with pork.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My favorite Ted Stephens moment was when he angrily refused to have the oil company executives who were part of the vice president's "secret" task force planning session sworn in before they answered the questions of his colleagues. This allowed them to lie during questioning about administration/oil company collusion without being prosecuted.

Good ol' Ted. That's the way to protect us from the terrorists!

5. pettyfog

Re: RE: Pork and the Senate: Hang Ted Stevens!

I forget..

Was that specific hearing target the secret Cheney deal attempt with the Taliban to build the Uzbekh/Afghan pipeline... or the even secreter attempt to drop sanctions against Saddam if he reneged on the Total-Fina-Elf-Chirac contract in favor of Halliburton/Gulf?
    ;)

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: RE: Pork and the Senate: Hang Ted Stevens!

No, it was the "business is conducted in secret, why should I tell you who I met with to develop the national energy policy or what we discussed or what we decided" meeting in the first 3 months of the first administration.

We are a democracy. Why should we be open about what we're doing or forthcoming about it.

7. pettyfog

I suggest you go back to your civics class on that 'We are a Democracy' thing.
    - We ARE, in a nominal sense, but the Republic was neither founded on a one-man, one vote process (or in the case of Tammany/Daley one name-one ward-one vote) paradigm NOR was it meant that all meetings on any topic of public interest MUST be immediately disclosed... and before you do a self-induced wedgie... NO government, ANYWHERE, acts that way.

The ONLY reason YOU are so enraged is the same as 'your kinds'' outrage over Dubya failing to tic off mistakes he's made:
    ergo: "Mr President, here's a gun... please shoot yourself in the OTHER foot".

8. pettyfog

Back to the subject:

The TOPIC is related to undisclosed deals and lobby-pussyfooting by Congress.

IF the Executive makes wrong moves, the Congress is supposed to be there to shine a light on it.. and they certainly are... but when the Congress is, itself, subverted... then we've lost that.

I know to some of you K Street only matters when they influence the OTHER party's memebers... but my position is that, as an example, Abramoff IS the Indian Gambling faction.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The problem I was highlighting was the fact that Cheney refused to state who was involved in the talks and what the agenda was. When the oil company execs appeared before Congress last year, Stevens shielded them from answering questions like "were you there," and "what did you talk about."

And don't give me this democracy/republic garbage, and don't tell me to go back to the civics classes I taught for a number of years. In a free society, governments do in secret things to protect their citizens. Deciding which fatcats get fatter as a result of national policy should not be done in secret because it benefits nobody but the fat cats.

The administration's take on secrecy, torture, military policy, and international relations has been ill-conceived, damaging, and indefensible. Guys like you must be in incredible shape from contorting yourselves into fleshy pretzels trying to support every thing they do as right and righteous. Your cool-down, of course, is labeling anybody who is smart enough not to buy this garbage as disloyal or stupid.

Consistency is nice, I suppose, but "foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

10. pettyfog

Wow....you fired up ALL the drive-by howitzers on THAT one!

Damaging to whom, and why?

Because someone actually did something about something, rather than make a speech or pass a resolution or set up a negotiation?

I can answer each and every charge there..And HAVE... but your answer is always we MUST be absolutist.

Relativism only counts when it floats OUR boat! Sorta like "Oral sex is not sex"

Now, see, I have to drop back to global political realities... but I HAVE to admit I Would NEVER have expected to get into an argument like this, with someone who has a knowledge or Texas and Louisiana political history.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have to admire how limber you are, Fog. But here's a question you never answered from another post: "Do you ever disagree with anything this administration does?"

I'm disturbed by anyone who believes that anyone who isn't his own child is perfect and not to be questioned. I didn't know a single Democrat who didn't have plenty of complaints about Clinton when he was in office. I stayed perpetually angry at him for 7.5 of the 8 years, even voting for Dole in '96.

But the eight years of Bush are like the eight years of Reagan -- total slavish belief with no criticism [however minor] allowed. And every observation that isn't filled with hosannahs must be met with identical lock-stepped vituperation.

Isn't that just a little too Maoist for Columbus?

12. pettyfog

Get real... that's the first I recall you criticizing your party or anyone in it! Or are you mad at Lieberman?

And here's a little Gem, I voted for Clinton in 96! If we'd been in the same state we would have cancelled each other out... heh!

The REASON I put that subject up there is because Stevens is a hog... much on the same model as Byrd.
    Now I dont criticize Byrd a damn bit for getting federal offices and functions into W Va... that is his job and the people need it.

What I criticize is the actual non-productive pork like the various Robert Byrd parkways to nowhere, and Stevens does the same.. and when a Republican does it, he deserves to be blown out of the water.

Same with Trent (those Bloggers are getting on my nerves) Lott ... where there's actual WASTE, it's time to shine a light... and it's VERY significant that Stevens and Byrd seem to be taking turns putting holds on the earmark database proposal.

But Stevens claims to be in MY party... Byrd is YOUR problem.

I have PLENTY of bones to pick with Bush, BTW. One is his stand on illegal issue.

I KNOW why he did and does it that way... but he is ignoring the real, present problem.

The second is his lack of communication skills... which he COULD have made up for by getting more Tony Snows and a long time ago.

The THIRD is his unbelievable unwillingness to come out blazing against the likes of Kennedy and Pelosi... consummate liars for effect, against whom we see no reaction!

I understand that, too.........

But what's interesting is your bringing Reagan into it.

That shows me that you are either what you accuse ME of... or in total denial.

But I think you dont like Reagan because he came after Carter.. and showed the poor little man up for what he was... a bleeding heart chump, or great humantitarian, whichever, but unfit to be president.... no matter which you believe.
    - tax cuts for economy, proved right
    -hard line against USSR, proved right
    - SDI, being proved right
    Fault: Not recognized the rise of terrorism and what it meant.

The buck stops here!
    - A REAL great Dem president.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That's interesting. I didn't say I hated Reagan. I didn't say I even disliked him. What I did point out is the need to elevate him and George III to sainthood and to defend every criticism of the administration as heresy.

I understand why the talk radio guys and the blog guys and the Fox News guys and the K-Street guys are "W is great, all of the time." It's their job to be that way. They are paid to sell a point of view and they have to ignore any chinks in the armor. What I don't understand is why guys like you who don't get any monetary benefit fall into the same trap.

And as for never criticizing the Democrats, I never had the opportunity. All our discussions thus far have been over liberal vs. whatever passes for conservative these days. Party never came into it.

I think you'll find that liberals do tend to listen to more than one point of view. This has been identified as "our major weaknessZ" on several occasions. Guilty, guilty, guilty.

14. pettyfog

Patently, unequivocably UNTRUE!

Maybe you ought to actually READ or listen to them... unless the ONLY thing you care about is the WOT or Iraq war, in general.

And the same goes for conservatives whatever the degree of same... ALMOST NO ONE on the right actually considers Dubya a 'conservative'.

Which is a LARGE part of his low approval ratings... not just the left and moderate factions... it's the RIGHT that's a good 15% of the approval swing.

It wasnt hard to defend Reagan... against WHOM! Putzes like BreZinski?

The NY Times? Rather? I rest my case!

What of that you hear or read about is related to defense of Bushg against the left?

I think if you bother to parse it out... you find THAT is why you see the blogs and Fox that way.
    We all have to hold our nose a lot... but right now, he's the closest thing we've got to a real Reagan conservative.

15. pettyfog

Back to the topic:

The 'netroots, conservative and liberal, WIN AGAIN!!

S. 2590 passes Senate unanimously... interesting, what!

Those of you who claim to want Democracy redefined.. this is it... not some change in the electoral process; we need to elect our reps the old way... but hold their feet to the fire or dump em.

Note you wont find much in the MSM on this.. they HATE it that they dropped yet another ball.. something here that NEVER would have gotten by the editorial pages 40 years ago, when they had some semblance of credibility.

I cant imagine this would have much trouble passing in the House... they have far fewer fish to lose by supporting it.

And I cant imagine Dubya not signing it... would be a real problem for him and he has enough.

The only REAL worry is implementing it, and in a reasonable time... look for attempts to delay actually putting it into the system. Will have study groups, design teams, refocus, etc.. there are tons of ways to delay actually DOING it.
    Any of us ever worked on IT projects know that.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I like the bill, Fog, but there were two things that jumped out at me:

1. Subcontractors not until January 2009. What is it that happens that month? Oh yeah.

2. No classified information on the website? For 50+ years there have been "black" portions of the defense budget -- for very good reason -- and those portions must also include contracts to individuals and organizations. I don't know how they'll resolve this anomaly.

I agree with you. I don't see the House putting up much of a tussle, and I think the president would bike over to the hill to sign it before the paper was dry.

I don't really see how it'll stop graft and corruption -- after all if Ted and Bob were in session they voted for it -- but all the senators seeking re-election will be able to say they voted for it.

Good reportage, P.

17. pettyfog

Well, like I said...I have no problem in bringing in Governemnts contracts which have an on-going result.

What I hate is the various road-to-nowhere, SF bay ferry terminal and Packard Museum type projects.

I suppose the 'subcontractor thing refers to stuff like Sen Reid's hi-jinks... or maybe who's paying off Trent Lott.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No argument there, bro.

Is this really us talking here? :shock: