Please tell me one thing...

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Mar 17, 2008.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

actually, I'm sure that Garvey -- the father of his country -- was out signing in the past and in the present while doing a little "scouting" at the same time.

Nomar never had a lot of class. He was a perfect fit for the Red Sox.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

*sigh*... I'm a fan of Jeff Pearlman's writing, but I think this piece scapegoats Nomar for something that wouldn't really be newsworthy if not for the larger issue of the Dodgers' ownership moving their Spring Training facilities to Arizona.

That said, I hope the youngsters on our team are learning from our classy captain.

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

:lol: at Garvey

5. EricD

EricD New Member

The only reason I even remember this guy is because of that damn pre-bat crap he does with his hands.
    I think this is why it drives me even more nuts with regards to LD.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I'm a little surprised, since I've only heard about all good the things Nomar does do for the fans and community (maybe he was having a bad day, which isn't an excuse).

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Don, I have to disagree with this statement in it's entirety. First, Nomar has always been reserved...I don't what exactly this writer witnessed, I have to take him at his word...but it doesn't really sound like him. Maybe he has some personal issues going on off the field that affected him that day. Because I remember seeing a Red Sox game where a foul ball went into the stands and was out the reach of Nomar, but while he was standing by the fans he took the initiative to shake a little kid's hand (he could have just walked back to his position). Also, I remember in 1995 he jumped into the Boston Harbor to save two women from drowning.

So before jumping on stupid stories (what is the point of this story anyway?) about a player not being overjoyed to sign autographs on one day...I don't think you draw a conclusion that he has no class.

8. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

From the stories I've heard coming out of the Cottage it sounds like they know how to treat and value their fans. The players go to fundraisers and mingle with the fans, they're available to sign autographs, they do the Xmas videos for the website, etc.

Steve its funny that you bring this up because for some time Fullham has reminded me of the Dodgers of old - before the O'Malleys sold them. When that happened it was kind of the last straw for me as a sports/baseball fan. It wasnt until I saw the play of Brian McBride that I became a sports fan again, and a soccer fan for the first time. The Dodgers and Fulham are the only pro teams I have ever loved. The article brought back great memories; thanks for making my day Steve.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

No problem, Mo, glad to be of help!

And I agree wholeheartedly about Fulham being that way, it is one of the reasons they attracted me as a fan. Maybe one day I'll forgive them for it :lol: .

10. Clevelandmo

I think this story isnt about Nomar. It's about what pro sports in the US has lost. It's something that can be personified by the changes in the Dodger organization over the years, finally coming to a complete end with the abondonment of Vero Beach and Dodgertown. It's personified by someone like Steve Garvey, a less than perfect man (I cant believe I just said that), who still had the brains and decency to always remember what pro sports was all about.

11. Clevelandmo

I got a kiss and an autograph from Garvey :D

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sorry, Senator; I saw a cheap shot and I took it. I did see a lot of Nomar when he came over to tne NLC with the Cubs and he seemed an arrogant git who didn't have a lot of friends on the team. Also, I've always disliked the RedSox and their fans, so ... .

Mo, I know what you're talking about with the Dodgers. I lived in traditional Dodger farm club cities -- Albuquerque and here in SA -- for a long time and really enjoyed watching their players make the majors. It's no fun for many of us now that two of the traditional class organizations in baseball -- the Dodgers and the Orioles -- no longer have that class.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Mo, I think the story came accross as more of a hit piece on Nomar than a story about professional sports losing touch with fans. The writer didn't devout mush time on taking anybody else to task...although just briefly mentioning Frank McCourt, the new owner, in a negative light.

Don, I understand some of your feelings towards Red Sox fans...ever since early 2000 there have more annoying, loud-mouth fans than ever before...but we're not all like that. :D

14. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I met him in the dugout during his brief stint with the Cubs during their run to the playoffs and into the NLCS in 2003...

Don he seemed like a nice enough guy, and signed a t-shirt/jersey that was his for me and talked with my family for a while, he even said that was the first Cubs jersey he had seen from a fan since being traded...

But that was the only experience I had with him and before you knew it he was gone and I could care less about a player once they leave Chicago...

And while we are on the topic I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of all things Boston as it pertains to sports and this was even before they won the World Series a few years back...

wa wa wa, feel sorry for us and the Red Sox, we haven't won a WS in blah blah years...Well shit, at least your in the playoffs more than once every other decade...but wa wa wa we have a great team year in and year out who is always in the AL East championship race...wow I feel so fucking sorry for you that you play meaningful baseball all the way through September!!!

wa wa wa, feel sorry for us and the city, we have one of the greatest football teams of all time, we have one of the greatest basketball teams ever assembled, the Red Sox have won two World Series in the past half a decade, we get more coverage than anyone this side of New York on the Eastern Seaboard Propaganda Network, wa wa wa...

As you can see, don't get me started on Boston and their sports scene...

...Excuse me while I go throw up.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yup...now I know what true Yankee fans had to endure with whinny Boston fans all these years. I almost take everything bad I said about them...almost everything. :twisted:

16. Clevelandmo

uh, so I take it you're a Cubs fan.

17. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Nomar famously sat on the bench for the whole game of an epic 12 or 13-inning contest against the Yankees in the middle of the 2004 season -- a game so exciting that all the players on both teams were standing on the top step of the dugout for practically the whole game......while Nomar crouched in the back without cheering on his teammates or talking to anyone (that was the same game that Derek Jeter went flying head first into the stands to make a play and busted up his face...the Yanks came from behind to win with two outs on a John Flaherty pinch hit, of all things).

Nomar's presence on the team was so toxic that they traded him for 40 cents on the dollar (Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz) just to get him out of there. Of course, they went on to win the World Series.

Jeff Pearlman is a responsible journalist and his piece is pretty damning. Does it say everything about Nomar? Of course not. But he has long been known for a me-first attitude.

18. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Good guess Mo!

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, I remember that game. He did become a useless to the team in 2004, I think he quit the team towards the end in 2003...and was glad he was gone during the trade period in 2004, he was leaving no matter what. I'm not sure what went down and why the contract that was initially agreed to became a dud, my memory of it isn't the best. But the thing is I've seen Nomar happy and interact with fans before that whole time period...but then again maybe his marriage to the queen of stuck up has rubbed off on Nomar.