Please pardon my self-indulgence...

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Feb 11, 2008.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

…but I have something to say.

When I was reintroduced to the best game on God’s Green Earth after too long a hiatus due to self-imposed ignorance and the time demands of military service, I became (ducking rotten vegetables) a Manchester United fan. Say what you will, but I grew to like their history. They have done a lot right and continue to do so, and events like last week’s anniversary show how much history and tradition they have.

So, I read a lot on United history, and tried to learn more about them than a standard front running fan. I bought a scarf with a big ol’ Nike logo on it, followed their players as best as I could -- and learned that Giggs and Scholes are pure class and if my son wants to be a soccer player, I will show him tapes of them and say, This is what you need to do to succeed. I followed them through their trials to win more silverware, cringed when I saw Ronaldo and his diving antics, and grew to very much respect SAF and how he has done it so well for so long. I greatly enjoyed it.

However, I am an American soccer fan, and I tried to follow the Americans overseas in addition to United. I even laughed when I heard the joke that they were going to take Craven Cottage and rename it Yankee Stadium. And I grew to admire Fulham and how they did business. Soon, I noticed that I spent a lot more time looking at Fulham articles online than I was looking at United. Hell, the W’s fans are certainly a lot friendlier than United’s. Sometimes it was like being in high school, I just wanted to say “Give it a rest already!!” I learned what a chav is through United message boards. Soon, I noticed that I spent a lot more time looking at Fulham articles online than I was looking at United.

This year I noticed a few other changes in my footy education -- like calling it footy! I already knew that Brian McBride takes a back seat to no one as far as toughness, to include football players 130 pounds heavier than him, but I really began to appreciate the opportunity that Americans had in the best and most accessible league in the world because of the Whites. And I noticed that I was paying a lot more attention to the W’s results (OK, losses and disappointing draws) that I was United’s latest 4-0 thrashing of Wigan or Newcastle. OK, I laughed like a hyena at their annihilation of Newcastle after Big Sam was shown the door. Newcastle is the Uncle Buck of the Premiership. But I digress.

Things came to a head on Super Bowl Sunday. When Jimmy the Bull knocked in that free kick after the Ws were looking to piss away another game, I was pumped all day :D :D I was a lot more pumped over the Fulham game than the United result that weekend. I think they tied Spurs. Whatever :| . I was so pumped, I stayed that way through the Super Bowl, and didn’t even care who won. Bullard's kick, not anything from United, not anything from the Super Bowl, was the last thing I looked at that night.

So, after looking at the matter a little more closely, and spending entirely too much time on sites like this one when I should be doing something constructive at work or school, I am now taking the plunge. I am officially trading in my fandom. I am foregoing another chase at silverware for a relegation battle. I still admire United and will always appreciate them for reintroducing me to the game of football. However, I am going to take my United scarf, fold it and put it in a box, and trade it for a black and white one with a little bit of red thrown in. The time has come to move on. Thank you United, but it is now time to say COME ON YOU WHITES!!!

I’m a Fulham fan now. Where’s my white crash helmet, it looks to be a wonderful, nerve-jangling, thrilling, bumpy ride.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

you've well and truly lost your tiny mind :? ...

... WELCOME HOME! :banana: :banana: :banana:

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Sounds like you and one of the founders, AmericanMike, may have a few things in common. A sense of Manifest Destiny being perhaps the most important.

Wilkommen!!

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Have you decided to show your son videos of McBride and Bullard instead of Giggs and Scholes?

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

:lol:

I'll show him McB and Bully too. I can't cut Scholes out, especially -- I like everything about how he has done business.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Forget a thread, this post was worthy of a spot on the 'frontpage'. Glad to see you have chosen the road less traveled Steve, even if there a few potholes.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Thanks for the kind words all. PLEEEEEEEEEEASE let me have a team to watch in the top flight next year. COYW