Piece/Interview - Roy more personal

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by RidgeRider, Mar 6, 2009.

1. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

WOW!

That's getting pretty close to saying Roy is a better manager than Sir Alex.

Bad news is that it sounds as if we would lose Roy if he was ever offered the England job.

Thanks for posting RR

3. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

Well, I would love to say that he said he would interview if asked means that he wouldn't necessarily say yes. I can understand not wanting to stay with a club in league play because it is a different dynamic than international and if your loving your job why turn else where.

However..... I cannot understand anyone turning down the opportunity to Coach their own countries national team, especially when that country is England.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Well... I mean, what manager wouldn't that be the case for? If Lawrie Sanchez had been offered the England job we would've lost him too; the "bad news" is that Hodgson is a good enough manager that he might ACTUALLY be offered the England job, so really I'd rather just choose to see it as a good thing. :D

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It could happen. He would please both camps:

1. those who want a quality English manager
    2. those who want a manager with Continental experience and successes.

Good news? They won't fire Capello until England crash out of WC2010 in the group stages. By then, he'll have qualified us for Europe.

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

MAF would even let Roy go without a fuss if it came up. After all, think of all that free press. "Roy Hodgson, the former Fulham manager..."

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Thanks Jack for the link.

Something I wonder about is how long Woy will stay. I hope if Fulham hits a streak next year where we lose 4 in a row, the sack him calls won't get too loud, certainly on this site as opposed to the offal where that is a given. I want him to stay for a while. He certainly isn't young, so a reign like Arsene Wenger's is out of the question, I'm hoping for one like David Moyes. I heard someone in the NFL put it in a nutshell -- NFL means Not For Long, and it's applicable to the Prem too.

I do not think it is beneficial to a club to change managers as often as so many clubs do. I read once where Alex Ferguson was taking the piss out of Man City, and tried to remember how many managers they have had in his tenure, and gave up when he got to double digits. There might be a cause and effect relationship between United's stability and their track record. Charlton is another example. They started playing musical chairs in the manager slot, and they're going to League 1/ Third division for the first time in 25 years.

I realize a lot of factors go into the equation but stability can only help -- remember, I'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan too :wink:

8. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

And maybe he could work an English passport into the deal