Pettyfog's copper and DSL HELL...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jul 4, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Imagine a problem that comes and goes and only seems to work fine when the service truck pulls into driveway..

I'm not a big fan of VoIP, coming from a background in telecom, since it's bandwidth wasteful but I've been sorely tempted to say the heck with it and sign up for Roadrunner and Vonage.

The BAD side of DSL is where there's a connection problem in the neighborhood .. it often affects just YOU... whereas digital and cable data usually works good when you get a good picture on cable tv.

HOWEVER... the ATT/SBC service has vastly improved over the last few years. Or maybe it's that my having a background aand understand the mechanics so as to not spend any time screaming at them made a difference...

Oh, well.. the guy still couldnt find a hard fault but switched cable pairs to the central switch. Never mind I suggested that 2 weeks ago.

2. pettyfog

RE: I

and.. apparently the 15 minute window was up after posting the above.

Same-ol'...

3. pettyfog

Arrghh it's not over yet.. dropped out again before I had a chance to finish this post!!!

The {hopefully} end-of-mission debriefing:

After weeks of fighting the problem, the SBC data and line guys show up at the same time... data first.

Apparently the initial problem was caused by tree rub on the service entrance line, because when the data guy swapped pairs on the pole and used the 'line 2 ' pair, the problem went away. Interesting that I had suggested this a week ago.

But the torment wasnt over yet, though the data guy found excellent signal charactertistics at the box, my DSL modem wouldnt connect.
    And I futzed around for over an hour resetting it and running diagnostic tests with no good result.
    Then I disconnected the power for 15 minutes and it came right up with a good connection.
    Apparently the 2Wire 1000 {DSL modem} stores accumulated settings learned through recent history and starts there. Only after 5 minutes with no power does it revert to the factory default settings.

This is something to remember if you have the same type problem with either DSL or Cable modem services... once the noise goes away, leave power off for about 15 minutes, just to start fresh.

Summary: I never once yelled at the service people or the help desk people but that was only because I knew the types of problems that the techs encounter.

If I'd been a 'civilian', I would have gone ballistic.

That said;
    ATT/SBC/Ameritech/ATT Ohio Bell service and response has improved more than 1000 percent in the last ten years.
    I guess I will write a positive letter to the Ohio Public Utilities commission on them.

Aint it wonderful what a little competition does for the consumer!!!!

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Welcome back, Fog.

I've taken copious notes on your experience. After more than a year of flawless service, our 2-WIRE is getting a little weird in the last two days. Thanks for the knowledge.

5. pettyfog

stand by
    Also ordered new 2 wire

thought it was heat related, because the thing went longer holding a connection when I sat it on the register to keep it cooler. But no joy, after the first try

BUT....

Brief respite... installed the ferrite filtered phone cord between the dual jack HPNA/ Phone filter and DSL modem...

6. pettyfog

Now THAT is service... new 2Wire DSL gateway appears on porch before noon, next day.
    Only promised 3 business days delivery

Only time to install. Have to go to work.

I guess it IS a whole new ATT.

7. pettyfog

but it wasnt over, YET...

Seems my Lucent wireless card wasnt compatible with the new 2wire 2700 gateway... wasted 2 hours trying to get it to see the gateway signal and asking for my key code.

Fixed by taking the 2wire wireless card from my old laptop and installing it.

8. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Petty, Petty, Petty...I have to say that I am finding your almost "All Pettyfog Thread" (thanks Don!) thread fascinating. You've been practicing on the official haven't you!

Just poking some fun, so don't berate me with "Pettyfoggery".

:lol:

9. pettyfog

I'm only trying to help out those who will follow, mike.

And the journal will be condensed and added to, so as to allow the less technically astute to determine how to deal with and assist the phone company and how to troubleshoot these problems

THEN I might post it on that blog site