Perspective

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Apr 18, 2021.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

For those of you who weren't around for every agonizing second of Roy Hodgson's "great escape," here's a little bit of who Roy had down the stretch:

Simon Davies, Clint Dempsey, Brede Hangeland, Aaron Hughes, Jimmy Bullard, Kasey Keller, Diomancy Kamara, Brian McBride, Paul Konchesky, and most especially Danny Murphy -- for my money the finest player I've seen in Fulham kit over the past 15 years.

I would submit that with the exception of Anguissa and Andersen, we don't have anybody playing for Scott Parker who have the class of the class of 2007-08.

pettyfog and SoCalJoe like this.
  2. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree with that Don.

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure Anguissa and Andersen are in that class Don. Andersen, maybe. Many are gifted kids who just aren't ready for this level. Tosin (23), Lookman (23), Aina (24) and Robinson (23) have done well at times, but this is big boy football. Anguissa and Andersen are only 25, but, as Don said, have probably been our best players this season. It's the vets that have let us down.

SoCalJoe and BarryWhite like this.
  4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The last two times we were relegated without a doubt we were either the worst or second worst club in the league. @HatterDon This team doesn’t compare w/that fantastic team player wise for sure, but this team doesn’t feel like one of the 3 worst in the league, even with the scoring issues.

The stat that all but spells out our doom: Fulham leads the Premier League in points lost from a winning position. This team should be sitting realistically w/34-36 points fighting it out.

tslyon, HatterDon and MicahMan like this.
  5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Right, which is why this year is so much more frustrating. In 13/14 and 18/19 we were a clown car. This year has shown we are capable of so much more than our current predicament, but on the whole we just haven't been good enough. Maddening.

The Wolves debacle epitomized this: forget drawing, any team worth their salt wins a match where the opposition plays that poorly. We lost.

nevzter likes this.
  6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I hear you, timmyg. The defense, overall, has played well enough to keep the club up....the other end of the pitch is a dumpster fire and the table position is reflective of this unfortunate situation.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Since the title of this thread is perspective, let's also consider this: Sheffield United have lost something like 15 or 16 matches by a single goal this season. If they had managed to draw half of those and win half, where would they be? We (meaning Tony) changed practically the entire starting team by the seventh game, when Andersen joined Robinson, Lookman, Lemina, Aina, Anguissa, Tosin, Loftus-Cheek and Areola in replacing Ream, Hector, Odoi, Kebano, Kamara, Bryan, Cairney and Rodak (basically). Like many have already said, the defense improved drastically, but the offense didn't, so here we are.

nevzter likes this.
  8. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

To stay up, we have to beat Burnley, Newcastle, and Southampton, and get a point off MU away, while hoping that either Burnley, Newcastle, or Southampton lose all of their remaining games.

I'm optimistic, but not that optimistic. I hope we keep Parker for next season's Championship campaign. It would be a shame to waste all he's learned over the past two seasons and let him go.