Patrick Ewing - Hall of Famer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by americanmike, Apr 8, 2008.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

A sporting hero of mine when I was growing up. I think it's great news he has now been elected to the hall of fame, definitely one of the most underrated forwards of the 90's.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It's a plus for you.. and for Ewing. He undoubtedly was one of the greats.

Of course his attitude/perceived personality was off-putting, which may be why I never cared much for him.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I liked Ewing's game a lot, Mikey, and I'm glad he's in the Hall. Having said that, no professional athlete who performs in NYC or LA is ever "underrated."

4. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I'm very happy for Pat, who has always been a bittersweet figure for me. The Knicks have always been the nearest and dearest sports team to my heart (I'm a glutton for punishment, aren't I?) and Ewing was a huge part of my childhood. I was just 12 when the Knicks lost to the Rockets in Game 7 of the '94 Finals and I was 13, a year later, when Ewing missed the finger roll that would have won Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals against the Pacers. Those are two of my most vivid sports memories, and I've never really gotten over the fact that the Ewing-era Knicks never won a championship.

In a related story, the Chicago Bulls could go 0-82 for the rest of eternity and I would never be satisfied.

5. americanmike

I couldn't agree more Nick. It still pains me to think of those two moments and that Ewing never won a Championship.

Being reminded of that finger roll has brought back that memory of being a kid in my front livingroom, head in hands, wondering how he missed.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Sorry fellas, while I respected the Knicks, they were a perfect villian to root against at any opportunity. In fact I'd prefer them to finally getting around (the laughstock thing wore off a couple of seasons ago) to fielding a decent team so I can go back to hating them.

Ewing was a great player and had a HOF career, but w/no rings, it helps w/induction that he played in NY and not Milwaukee.

7. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Well... with career averages of 21 ppg, 10 rpg, 2.4 bpg, over 50% from the field, almost 25,000 career pts (15th all-time), over 11,000 career rebounds (22nd all-time), 6th all-time in blocks, 11 All-Star Games, 6 All-NBA 2nd teams, 1 All-NBA 1st team, a rookie of the year award, and being the best player on 13 straight playoff teams, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he'd be a hall of famer no matter where he played.

Also, if anyone should have been villains during that period, it should be the Bulls. They're the ones who won everything.

8. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Oh, and let's not forget, in 1994 he shattered the all-time single-season sweating record, which ranks right up there with DiMaggio's hit streak. We might never see it again.

9. SoCalJoe

Nick, there's no question he deserves to go to the Hall, but it didn't hurt he amassed those great stats in the media hub of the US as oppossed to one of the smaller markets.

As a Blazer fan, watching Jordan (Portland drafted Clyde Drexler the year before hence drafting...gulp Sam Bowie :cry: instead of MJ) win all those titles was a constant reminder of what might have been, so I know where your coming from. I geuss it's the east-coast bias from this west-coast biased fan.

10. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Ouch ouch ouch. Yes, that remains one of, if not the most painful draft decisions in sports history. My condolences. If it makes you feel any better, I'm also a Jets fan and the Jets are guilty of a similarly historic draft blunder. In 1983 they needed a quarterback and selected Ken O'Brien in the first round. The Dolphins took Dan Marino 3 picks later.

11. DCDave

DCDave Member

Actually, I was shocked to hear about his election yesterday. I don't follow basketball that much, but I just assumed he was already in. What took him so long?

As a DC area person, he is still fondly remembered for his days at Georgetown. Ironically, I think Patrick Jr. is as GU now, being coached by JT's son.

12. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Well, players need to wait until 5 years after they retire before they're eligible. This is actually his first year of eligibility.

13. DCDave

DCDave Member

Really, it's only five years since he's been out? Wow. I could have sworn it was a lot more than that.

14. SoCalJoe

Dave; Ewing played a couple of seasons for more than 1 team when he left NY (his last one was w/Orlando, w/o looking can't remember the other)

15. americanmike

Seattle Socal, it was the first team he played for after NY.

16. SoCalJoe

Never would have guessed Seattle. Can never blame a guy for wanting to still play, but to see him in a Sonics jersey well-past his prime had to be sad for Knicks fans.

17. americanmike

It was but the timing was perfect. I stopped following my teams in College since I was so busy with playing my own.

I even had a coach of mine give me the 'Bronx Tale' speech...'are the Knicks and Rangers putting you through college?'

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i used to pretend I was patrick ewing when i was a kid. congrats to Pat and all other entrees. Got to give a shout out for A.D. as well. Loved him when he played for the Jazz. He was a great offensive player.