Padilla

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Spencer, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

x

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  2. DCDave

DCDave Member

Oh, I thought this thread was about Vincente Padilla, the pitcher the Rangers just signed to a 3 year $34 million contract...

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Padilla

So did I Dave. However, after reading the story and Spencer's comments, I feel real bad for the guy. Crazy stuff.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I don't think anyone needs to be tortured, but if this guy was part of a plan to incur harm on the US, let him rot in jail for the rest of his life.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

When you allow the government to determine which class of American citizens it's okay to deprive of their Constitutional rights, it's a problem. When one major cause of that situation is a desire to pervert justice by protecting the national government from criticism, it's an abomination. Since I'm not sure that 'Fog looked it up:

"First they came for the Communists,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I wasn’t a Communist.
    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I wasn’t a Jew.
    Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I was a Protestant.
    Then they came for me,
    and by that time there was no one
    left to speak up for me."

by Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945

7. pettyfog

And when will YOU speak up, Don?

You havent so far.. seems to me you blame everything on 'the other guy' of US.

I supplied the Linki because you would think from the NYT this guy was just some poor schmuck picked up on the street
    and
    I pointed out that my link was NOT unbiased for a reason. If you didnt read all of it, that's not my fault.

Let's all think 'Tim McVeigh' and how much of a 'rocket scientist' he was..

8. pettyfog

On the general issues:

I would like you guys to think about something...

ALL of us know much more about everything that goes on than we did even ten years ago.... and yes, that is because of the global media and instant communications and ALTERNATIVE media..

Without the 'net we would never have found out that the media phonies up stories for 'ratings'. Some like Reuters 'fess up... some like CBS and AP never do.

And we would think that all corruption is incidental, not that it's rife... because we never stopped to think about WHY someone would spend millions to be elected to a 150,000 dollar job.

But it's improtant to take it all with some leaven... it will take a while for things to change. That is why I cautioned Heather about worrying too much about congressional crooks, whatever party.

How many of you, for example would even read the political news, past the head and lede?

Several decades ago, it became common for the press to spin a piece anyway they wanted, and the trick was to bury the real issue or fact at the bottom. This is still what they are doing.

Today, that's where the bloggers go first to get their issues. And that link I posted on Padilla shows how brilliantly that can be done... whatever the site agenda, you had to read it all to get the full impression of what the writer was conveying.

The writer believed that Padilla got a raw deal, after all... while I dont have a whole lot of sympathy for him.

As to letting the court system handle it...I'm still thinking about OJ Simpson... and the Rodney King injustices.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I spoke up when he was detained a few years ago, long before I knew there was such a thing as FUSA. I knew what he was charged with. I knew that there was more than a chance that he was worth convicting and sending away for life.

I was VERY concerned that we were going out of our way NOT to give him a fair trial, as if the government was telling the world and all of us that all they had to do was shout "terrorist" and there would never be any way to check them. This has proven to be true -- over and over again -- and it has cost us in the world, and at home. It's costing the administration, too, and it gives me no joy.

I've always been a civil libertarian, 'Fog, and I know a ton of real conservatives who feel the same way I do about selective application of the Bill of Rights.

And finally, 'Fog, we're Americans. We're supposed to be better than the terrorists and thugs. We're supposed to be the last great hope of the world. When we do stuff like this, it makes us small and common and unworthy, when we're supposed to be giants. Can't you see that?

10. pettyfog

And here's the point I keep getting to, and you keep evading... what good is moral superiority when we are dead?
    Christ's teachings on turn the other cheek were never meant to apply to an entire civilization. Like all his teachings the apply to the individual and the close community.

What's your take on those poor 'flying imams' that have been victimized by the bigotted racist press and airlines?

When I see you post something about stopping incendiary speech from the left and the muslim fascists, I will believe you are thinking about it.

And one of them, when you listen casually is Pat Buchanan... yet when i listen even closer... I hear "There's no towel head worth a drop of american blood"

As a long-time critic of ours and UN inaction in Rwanda, and what is happening now in Darfur, I find that heinous.
    As one who THOUGHT about what happened in Somalia {Blackhawk Down} I find it scurrilous that some would say "We cant be the world's policeman!"

I agree we cant... but if we dont who will be? The UN... what do you think is causing my utter contempt for the UN? It SHOULD be the safety net for people everywhere... instead it's nothing but a political scam/stage for idealogues

11. pettyfog

I'm gonna say this ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!!

Islamists will never WIN!!! The danger here is that bleeding hearts give so much ground, sacrificing Israel and then our own culture to the point that our civilization will snap, and there will be blood in the streets... not only from those shouting "Allah Akhbar" but from those who were lulled to sleep by conforming to PC, the pendulum of civilization has repeated that time after time.

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Fear monger. Move along, your currency is not worth much here any longer. In a matter of nearly five years, we have not forgotten, but we have wised up.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If we have lost the moral high ground, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION HERE, we are already dead.

Without our moral high ground, we're just a bunch of yahoos living on a land we won through genocide, or we're just a bunch of hills and trees.

I hate using this phrase, Petty, but I am most afraid that you don't get it. "American" is supposed to mean something other than "bully." If being only that is fine for you, then I'm sorry you've settled for it. I haven't.

14. pettyfog

'Fear Monger"!!!

That's just precious! How do you type from that position?

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

My right arm is longer than my left.

16. pettyfog

ROFL!
    - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - - - -

That's admirable Don... the point is that EVERY country has had its warts and the US has NOT gotten worse, it has gotten BETTER!

I'm looking forward to you NOW you are compiling an opinion on how the Islamic support organizations are using ratcheted fear-mongering to deaden our senses.... and soften us up in order to first institute Sharia for themselves, and outlaw criticism of anything to do with them; ending in putting the Western World under islamic law.

I know that you will join me in despising the lack of ready reaction on the part of the UN to news items CONTINUALLY reported where the UNIFIL troops rape and molest children... and where the 'Human Rights' orgs are led by the worst offenders... even by light of the independent HR orgs that crticize the US at every turn.
    And criticism of the US by UN relief organizations when we responded rapidly to the Tsunami while they were getting together their planning meetings.

I'm SURE YOUR MORAL OUTRAGE is not just aimed at the current administration.... and I'm looking forward to your take on the Clinton administration opposed to current one on spying on US citizens, and using the result for leverage.
    Oh, wait... Clinton only used it on his political enemies... Dubya uses it on anyone who might be a 'terrorist'.

17. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I think the thread has moved away from the original point that Spencer made. The law should be without prejudice and must be applied to all equally otherwise divisions in society are created. When the divisions become large enough rebellion ensues (lead from either side).

This chap sound nasty and I am sure that there is enough to put his away for ever, but, if the due process of law is not folllowed then you risk him being freed on technicalities.

Earlier in the post someone spoke about him being a US citizen, get over that, he is a human - he may be the lowest form of human, but he is still a human. There are many examples throughout history of partisan views causing many unjust deaths. Is my life less valuable because I am a Brit? Should I not be protected inside the framework of law?

I want justice - but not at any price. Justice must be within the framework of law, and, if the law is an ass then change it using the democractic process that is in place and we are so proud of. If you want to persecute a section of society then do it loud and proud and vote for someone to suspend your constituional rights (although I am not familiar enough with the constitution to know if torture is not alllowed).

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Uh, that was PCB you were responding to, but I appreciate the lecture anyhow.

And yes, my moral outrage got a huge workout during the Clinton administration -- enough for him to lose my vote during his re-election campaign. I'm not the blind partisan on this site.

And GBFC gets it right again [see previous post].

19. pettyfog

I think the deal on the Japanese internment is to the point.

There was ample evidence at the time that Japanese residents in Hawaii contributed intel for the attack on Pearl Harbor. How many out of all of them were spies... one, two, five?

There were many strategic facilites on the west coast which could be targets of a strike from Japanese commandos with help from the Nisei.
    How many resident coordinators would it take? 5, 10, 20?
    - Golly GEE!!! We'll never know because they were removed.

It's unfashionable to point that out, of course, we know now that there were apparently few if any who were working with Hirohito. But to imply there were NONE, as some have is insulting to intelligence.

The same applies to Islamists... and even more so. And I'd like to remind all of this.. where convicted terrorists were still communicating with their brethren..
    And, of course, Lynne Stewart who actually helped her client continue his terrorist activities from jail.
    - - - - - -
    I'm gonna add this because it's obvious to me.. though evidently NOT to everyone.

HOW are we going to combat this menace most effectively, given:

We have already determined that we arent allowed to 'torture' information out of suspects.
    - And humiliation and privation is torture.

Some want any suspect to have lawyers and due process from the beginning.
    - How much info can you get from a guy with a lawyer sitting next to him?
    - What do you have to give in exchange fro info while lawyered up.. shorter term so he can get out and continue his jihad, or do it in jail?

For those who say 'embedded agents' how we gonna know he wont double us?

Better Intel, from lawful means?
    - Like going to the judge to ask for wiretap warrants... except, gee, how long till we start getting complaints from Lynne Stewart'r'us that the 'judge panel is fixed'

So, considering all this, who is for Cookie to play 4-5-1 next game... maybe better yet, play 6-4-0?

That's what you are asking the US and the west to do.

20. pettyfog

"Good police work"!!

How do the police do it? They get info.. how do they get info?

I already covered all that.

Name a recent example of that good British police work.

You are talking in circles.

As far as this CONTINUING bleating that 99.5 % of muslims arent going to be terrorists (As if it were that high a %), then it's not far to tar them all with the same brush..

Whose fault is it? Read the freaking "flying Imam" thread... what the hell do you think that was about!!!!!