Our Crest

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Han-Solo, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

Does anyone of you guys know if there are possibilities that Fulham will change the crest? The crest is the only Fulham thing that I'm not proud of. The simple monogram FFC was popular in the 50's and the 60's, but it was sober and classy, where as the current one reminds me a Christmas tree.
    I loved the crest that we had in the 90's, regal, and with the beautiful borough of Fulham coat of arms. If we can't protect it as a trademark (I think this is the reason why we have changed), I hope that the club will adopt a new crest, and that in this new crest there will be the monogram FFC as well the logo of our home, the Craven Cottage, the symbol that is identified with Fulham FFC all ove the world.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Can you define a new one that does not obscure Fulham's identity in the dross of 'classic-ism'... namely an overdrawn busy piece of crap like the last one?

Could never determine without guidance that it was for Fulham or Plymouth?

It would be nice if there was a clear connection between the Icon and the Club, such as Spurs or Arsenal, but there isnt. If there's something clearly of the Cottage in it, that would be good.

Otherwise....

Summary: No

3. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I like the current crest for one reason and one reason only...its simplicity. The best logos are the simple ones and the FFC shield is very classic and very Fulham...but that's just a guy's opinion who loves Beauty and the Beast...

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Re: RE: Our Crest

I like the simplicity of it as well. The other one is one of the worst "coat of arms" ones that I've seen. Not a lot of other teams have a shield either.

5. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

Re: RE: Our Crest

I also love simplicity, but the current crest is too basic. imo.
    In order to personalize it, I'd insert in the shield, under the monogram FFC, a logo of the Cottage.....

6. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

RE: Re: RE: Our Crest

You are correct that lack of Trademark was given as the reason for the switch. As for a change, I think dreaming of staying in the Premiership so we can still watch the matches over here is a better use of energy right now! The FulhamUSA logo is a much nicer one - and I wear the new white T-shirt with pride!

7. LBNo11

LBNo11 Member

Fulham Badge

...the 'new' badge lacks imagination, history, and could be Falkirk FC for all the letters represent. An ill conceived swastika like image drawn by a bored marketing man.

Of course there are always compromises...

8. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I heavily disagree - in a league with standard circular logos (e.g. Our Hated Rivals, Manchester United, Reading, Boro etc.) and too fancy logos (e.g. Manchester City, Wigan); Fulham's simple shield really sticks out.

Arsenal would be the other team achieving this, except they spell out what he cannon represents for the unimaginative.

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I agree.

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Ditto, everytime I see Wigan's logo, I think it looks like an overdone pineapple.

11. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

My personal favorite may be Derby's crest...aside from Fulham of course.

12. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

13. LBNo11

LBNo11 Member

Fulham crest

...don't believe everything you read in wikipedia. There are so many things wrong with the 'official statement'.

The fans were not consulted.

The old crest was not owned by the local council.

Oh! and the original crest of Craven Cottage was in green - not black.

Still, ever willing to compromise (even with innacuracies) here is my new avatar that combines the two...

14. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

RE: Fulham crest

Your avatar is very nice, mate. But, please note that the above text source is not Wikipedia: http://www.footballcrests.com/clubs/fulham-fc
    And I think that it's quite accurate; for instance, it's true that the old logo belongs to the Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham (http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/great_london.html), and, according to English law, you can't register it as a trademark.
    You're right to claim that the old crest was green, but it has been also black, though....

15. DCDave

DCDave Member

The current crest is one reason I became a Fulham fan. I was very impressed by the crest when I attended a match. As others have said, I like it because it is simple. I tend to hate the logos as wee for such things as the World Series, the Super Bowl, etc., which are just too...busy. Fulham's crest is what it is: "FFC" Fulham Football Club. (I also like the reference to "football" in it.)

16. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I never seen any of their other crests, but I have to agree, the simplicity of the crest, is in keeping with the simplicity of their home kits. They go well together. A more ornate crest, would take away from the simple design of their kits.

Very cool and creative avatar though LBNo11.

17. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I have always hated the new crest, I do not own any merchandise with it on. I liked the old crest best when it had the helmet and bunting removed, it was much more simple, with just the shield and boat sat on top.

The thing the current badge lacks is any reference to the river and I saw that as a way of removing our link with the Thames and the Cottage, a way to allow us to move to Lofters Road and not come back. I also think it looks like something school children did.

The West Indies cricket team had a simlar problem that they did not own the copyright to their logo, they changed the logo enough to make it feel the same, and to allow them to copyright it.

18. LBNo11

LBNo11 Member

The historical explanation for the real badge...

…that excuse about paying royalties to LBH&F charging royalties is a bogus one put about by the FFC marketing men. If LBH&F had ever wanted to charge Fulham FC royalties they could have done so years ago.

If you look at any recent paperwork from the council, they use a totally different badge/logo/avatar from our old one, in fact the coat of arms is different too. The old badge clearly stated Fulham FC in the scroll beneath the badge wheras the council one stated "Pro Civibus et Civitate".

If the old badge was still not preferred by many, the club wouldn't even bother with the 'Heritage' range.
    I can understand that many of the newer fans identify with the new nazi harpoon barb logo, and I do accept that it is a quick identification for the other teams fans with little knowledge of club badges and heritage.

Anyway, an explanation of the historical meaning behind the old badge is as follows, and ties in to the heritage of the oldest professional football club in London. The ship at the top signifies a viking 'longship' as the Danish vikings raided up to Putney in 879, which coincidentally was 1000 years before Fulham FC was formed in 1879. (The ship should actually be black as documents record it was called “The Black Ship”!!). The Tudor Rose on the sail represents the fact that Fulham Palace was built during Tudor times and was an important area.

The little castle represents a walled city (London) and the white (silver) and blue wavy lines do represent the River Thames. The gold mitre indicates the fact that the area was the residence of a bishop (Hence Bishop’s Park, being the main thoroughfare to Craven Cottage).
    On the early versions of the crest in the 1950' and 60's under the crest we shared with the London Borough of Hammersmith was the words 'PRO CIVIBUS ET CIVITATE' which is Latin for "For the citizens and the state". The rest is heraldic artistic license.

If you are into heraldry, this is the blurb:-
    Barry wavy of ten, Argent and azure, on a Saltire gules, two swords in Saltire points upwards of the first enfiled of a Mitre Or, and for the Crest upon a Mural Crown of Seven turrets Or and Ancient Rowing Ship in full sail Sable, the Flags per fesse Argent and Azure charged on the sail with a Rose Gules, surmounted by a Rose Argent barbed Vert and seeded proper.

By the way, the reason that the club (without consulting the fans) went for the new crest, is because the club carried out a survey (not mentioned what section of the public - assume football fans) and only 14% recognised the old crest as Fulham FC, even though the words Fulham FC were printed underneath...

19. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: The historical explanation for the real badge...

Thanks for sharing Ed, never knew any of that (other than the club's smokescreen about the local council copywrite).

20. BC

BC New Member

RE: The historical explanation for the real badge...

Yes, thanks for that! Great to hear about the heritage behind the crest. I'm partial to the new one as that was the one in use when I started supporting Fulham. But knowing the history of the older crest makes me appreciate it and what it represents.