Other teams you follow

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by DCDave, Oct 10, 2011.

1. DCDave

DCDave Member

We did this on the old board, but to celebrate the new board, I thought I'd bring it back.

Fulham is #1 of course, but the other teams I follow are:

* DC United, my local team
    * Portland Timbers, because Portland is so soccer-mad and a good friend works for the team
    * US MNT and WNT, along with most of you
    * Romanian MNT, since I am of Romanian heritage

I also look for scores from NEC (our sister club in the Netherlands), Luton Town (for Hatter Don), and FC Copenhagen (my wife got me one of their jerseys when there on business).

A special shout out for the Detroit Express--yes, they were an NASL team in the late '70s-early '80s and do not exist any more, but that was the first team I followed. I know Trevor Francis is best known as the first million pound transfer, but I remember him for scoring five goals in a game for the Express against the San Jose Earthquakes in a 10-0 win.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Great idea, Dave, and there have been some changes to my hierarchy since we last did this.

1. Fulham FC -- nobody comes close.
    2. San Antonio Scorpions -- NASL and will play their first match in the spring. Let's hope it really happens.
    3. USA Men
    4. USA Women
    5. England Men

Non-football:
    1. San Antonio Missions -- Texas League Champions andthe best record in professional baseball in 2011.
    2. Houston Astros -- ohhhhh the pain
    3. San Antonio Spurs -- of the late great NBA
    4. All U of Maryland sporting teams.
    5. Whoever is playing against the Washington Redskins.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Nicely done, Dave, and welcome back.

1. San Francisco Giants (next to my family and Fulham, they are the love of my life - I overwhelmingly listen to their games on AM radio as the Giants have the best broadcasters and baseball was meant for the radio)
    2. USMNT (a supporter since 1990 and it brought me to Fulham. 'nuff said)
    3. San Jose Sharks (perennial sister kissers and/or the girl who leaves you for your best friend, but someday this has to change....right?)
    4. San Jose Earthquakes (less said about this club these days, the better - they need their own stadium despite the "quaint" aspects of Buck Shaw Stadium...)
    5. L.A. Lakers (Magic was my favorite player and Showtime was pure basketball)
    6. Crystal Palace (had a great time out at and around Selhurst Park once upon a time)
    7. Oakland Raiders (don't follow much pointy football anymore, but when I do, I try to catch Greg Papa's radio broadcast - RIP Al Davis)

4. DCDave

DCDave Member

I forgot my non-football teams:

* Detroit Tigers, as much as I like Fulham, they are #1 in my heart and have been since I became a fan 40 years ago.
    * Washington Nationals, whom I can like along with the Tigers because they are in the NL. We are season-ticket holders.
    * Washington Capitals, who have made hockey a big-time sport in DC. (I like the Red Wings but don't follow them as much as I did before they started being all Yankees-like in the late '90s, buying a ton of free agents.)
    * Detroit Lions, not that we have a pro American Football team in Detroit again.

----------------

Hatter Don, where is Luton Town on your list?

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Redskins - Ugh
    New York Knicks - what season?!
    New York Yankees - Dad's family are Brooklyn Dodger fans <<<---yup, you got it! (Don't mind if the Mets do well I'd like to add)
    New York Rangers - love a bit of hockey
    Penn State - Didn't go there but loved when I went to two games with a now ex-gf
    USMNT - but hard when living in England

6. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Fulham
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Chicago Bears
    Montreal Canadiens
    Seattle Mariners

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Soccer teams:
    1. Fulham
    2. USMNT
    3. DC United
    4. USWNT
    5.VFB Stuttgart

Other teams:
    1. Red Sox
    2. Patriots
    3. Celtics
    4. Bruins

8. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

1) FFC
    2) Colorado Rapids
    3) US Mens and Womens
    4) Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles
    5) University of Colorado
    6) Denver Broncos
    7) Atlanta Braves

9. tim

tim Active Member

In addition to FFC and USMNT...

1) Los Angeles Kings
    2) Los Angeles Galaxy
    3) Northwestern Wildcats
    4) Los Angeles Dodgers*

*fanship on temporary hiatus until Frank McCourt exits

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Soccer
    US MNT and WNT
    Fulham
    Akron Zips
    Cleveland Internationals - only US Developmental Academy in our state assoc. and my son plays on their U12 team.
    Whatever pro team Cleveland gets someday - thank you very much Randy Lerner and Drew Carey for your devotion to the sport in this city - NOT
    Teams I follow and hope do well: Houston Dynamo, Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps, Columbus Crew, Leeds United, Accrington stanley, Bedlington Terriers, Stuttgart (due to DC Heather and my brother)

Other Sports
    Cleveland Indians
    Cleveland Browns
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    All Rice University Owl teams, it builds character

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Got nudged out by the new NASL franchise. I still check their scores.

12. bosniaba

bosniaba New Member

Well first is Bosnian national team than FK Sarajevo from Bosnia than Fulham and Bayern Munich equally in NFL even if i don't watch a lot of it Chicago Bears and I also support USA soccer team and that is it

13. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Besides Fulham and the US;

Portland Timbers - first ever match attended in the 70's
    Plymouth Argyle
    Czech/Scottish Nats (same reason as Dave)

Other Sports
    Seattle Seahawks
    Portland Trail Blazers
    (Insert city name) Angels
    Chicago Cubs
    *2 pro sports championships ('77 & '02) in my lifetime...Ugh

All things U of Arizona

14. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

1. Fulham
    2. Texas A&M
    3. Washington Capitals

Everything else is a distant 4th, in no particular order:

USMNT
    USWNT
    Peterborough United
    U of Maryland (primarily hoops and lax)
    Baltimore Orioles
    Houston Astros
    Seattle Mariners
    Dallas Cowboys
    Kansas City Chiefs (more of a soft spot than a strong rooting interest b/c I had a relative play for them when I was a kid)
    and I guess I'll be the brave one....NASCAR

I keep saying I want to get into MLS and the Bundesliga but haven't gotten around to either enough to find a team yet. When I have seen MLS, I've been most impressed by the atmosphere I've seen at Portland matches.

My childhood was split between MD and Texas, thus the odd symmetry in teams. I lived in Seattle for 5 years as an adult and had season tix for the M's, so I still follow them.

The NFL would probably be in the top half of my list if my teams weren't like bad marriages. My first wife was my childhood sweetheart (the Baltimore Colts). Everything was perfect and I was happy...until I woke up one morning to find she'd run off to the midwest without leaving so much as a Dear John. Around that time I moved to Texas and fell in love with and married a local girl (the Houston Oilers). We had some good times, but then she went kinda crazy and the next thing I know she decided to live out a George Strait song (All My Exes, for the C&W challenged). Not wanting to be the Liz Taylor of football fans, when I married my third wife I chose another local gal who is very nice to look at but is severely handicapped and will never leave me (the Dallas Cowboys). While it isn't as passionate, I do love her but I cannot take her out in public without her embarassing the shit out of me every time. Then there's this one gal who I met through a relative. She's been a constant through most of my life and has always treated me well, but I've never looked at her as anything more than a friend (the Kansas City Chiefs). Now why do I still follow the NFL?

15. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

St. Louis Cardinals
    Murray State Racers
    Louisville Men's Basketball
    Kentucky Men's Basketball

16. jumpkutz

Oh, and U.S. men's soccer, of course.

17. jumpkutz

And, to a slightly lesser degree, England men's soccer.

18. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    Oh hell... because I'm still awake and this was one of my favorite threads on the old site I thought I'd give it a shot. I actually really like all the expository details of how people became fans of their teams. AggieMatt wins for most tragic story (his NFL teams), but I identify with DaveNearDC as a baseball team being my first love (even if it's one of his division rivals). Anyhow... here it is:

The Chicago White Sox- I'm a third generation life-long fan- I cared about them before I really cared about anything else. The only team logo I have (or ever will have) permanently inked on my skin. I could probably write a book on my fandom... but we'll just leave it at that.

And for everyone else:

Soccer:
    Chicago Fire- eventually about a year after I got back from studying abroad in England, I figured I should start following the team that played 20 miles away from me as well as one an ocean away. The second game I attended, the Fire won the 2006 US Open Cup Final which I saw from the Section 8 ultras section and I've been hooked ever since.

US Men's and Women's National Teams: I am American, after all.

AFC Wimbledon- I was first attracted to them by their incredible story- being formed by a group of angry fans in 2002 after their football league team was moved to Milton Keynes. I didn't get a chance to see a Fulham match when I was in London in 2007, so I went to Kingsmeadow to see Wimbledon instead. Since then they've incredibly moved all the way up to League 2. I had an internship in the Wimbledon area as well, so there was a bit of a geographic connection.

Ft. Lauderdale Strikers- My new local team- albeit 40 miles away. There's a small, but very enthusiastic ultras presence at matches and I'm excited that they're headed to the NASL Championship.

FC St. Pauli- Besides loving their countercultural, punk rock, radically fan-centric spirit which is unique for any sports club- they are also the subject of a song by one of my favorite bands ("St. Pauli" by Art Brut) and have connections to my two favorite soccer teams (Moritz Volz plays for them now and current Fire player Cory Gibbs played for them in the early '00s). They got relegated last year, but are playing well in the 2. Bundesliga and may get promoted again.

Villarreal- I was interested in finding a Spanish league team and Villarreal seemed "Fulhamish" in many ways, I also like their attacking style of play and although a lot of USMNT fans will hate me for this, I also like Giussepi Rossi. They're a somewhat small team from a small town that's consistently competing for the Champions League in one of the hardest leagues in the world, so that's also pretty cool. It's nice to finally be rooting for a team in the Champions League.

While I don't follow them closely, but also due to ancestry I root for the Czech and English national teams. I'm conflicted on the Italian national team because that's also part of my heritage, but there's a lot to hate about Italian soccer.

Other Sports:
    University of Missouri- My original alma mater and other than the White Sox my biggest personal connection to a team. Mostly, I follow football and basketball, but given the alumni card I reserve the right to bandwagon jump at any time in any sport.

Florida State University- I got my Master's degree here and living in Florida now I can catch their games on TV more than Mizzou's. I expanded my palate a little and am a fan of not only the football and basketball teams, but also the consistently very good baseball and women's soccer teams.

Chicago Bulls- Growing up in the Chicago area in the '90s being a Bulls fan was sort of obligatory- of course, the early '00s weeded out a lot of people- but for everyone paying attention during the very learn years, lastyear's successes were even sweeter. Really hoping the lockout doesn't destroy a legitimately great team.

Florida (soon to be Miami) Marlins- My NL team. I've had a bit of a soft spot for them ever since they successively knocked off the Cubs and Yankees in the 2003 playoffs- but now that I live in Miami and being a fan of them doesn't interfere with being a Sox fan, I feel obligated to support them given that none of the locals do. It's hard to imagine them catching up to the Phillies or Braves next year, but I think if they stay healthy they'll surprise some people.

Miami Dolphins- The first NFL team I haven't felt conflicted about rooting for. Unfortunately, I picked a pretty bad time to start rooting for them.

Northern Illinois University- My parents alma mater, I mainly just follow the football team as the only Illinois university I particularly root for.

Florida International University- Mainly just football, the school's down the street from where I work and I wanted a local college team to root for since I hate UM.

That's it for now.

~Steve