OPinion: US World Cup Team: Time to move on

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jun 26, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

McBride is done on the Nat team... I thought that was pretty clear.

Unless he stays in Tip-top... no, not even then

He WOULD make a good defensive sub on a club, though.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Petty that is what I was saying about salaries and trying to compete against the bigger professionaly sports here in the States. At this point, the 10-year-old will pick basketball, baseball or football based on the potential money and exposure such sports get. MLS has to figure a way out to get more money into the league. More money for players will equal more talent coming to the States and better coaches, managers and and overall upswing in the fortunes of the league.

This will take luck and time to happen, but to let MLS be as it is now forever and ever expect it to compete with the larger European leagues is ludicrous.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am getting the same error Fog. Must be something with the new server. I will ask Mike to look into this.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Tom, I kept McBride on the team mostly for his leaderhsip qualities (and possibly if he stays in tip-top shape). Without a lot of the current starters, there will be a leadership vacuum, that a warrior like McBride can fill.

That said, he may start initially, but that doesn't mean he can't be subbed for. I'd much rather have him than the two-headed LandoBeast.

5. pettyfog

Yeah but it's a chicken/egg thing.

As long as it seems to the casual fan that the MLS is starting players that would be subs on Euro first division teams, then 'They wont come'.. and you cant BUY ticket sales with the NASL model. We already know that wont work, there just isnt enough money available to subsidize it.

The key is WINNING WITH ATTRACTIVE FOOTY. If it's hard with Prem teams {ahem} look how tough with MLS/First Division players!

Don.. {snark} Yeah look what it's done for Beasley!{/snark}

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I say the U.S. should stop trying to even consider competing with Europe and all the bigger U.S. sports. Maintain teams and stadiums like the USL. Don't force the American game to be something it is not. If it will grow, let it grow naturally. Be happy with developing or retiring players, and crowds of 6,000 or less for awhile.

7. pettyfog

No it's not, it started months ago... but I thought it must have had something to do with SQL or server response times... may have started when I was changed to Admin... not as if i've had to moderate much.