Onyewu's Destination?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by DCDave, May 26, 2009.

1. DCDave

DCDave Member

From Steve Goff at the Washington Post's Soccer Insider (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/):

I'm getting word today that USA defender Oguchi Onyewu, out of contract after a prosperous career at Belgian champion Standard Liege, has rejected an offer from Bundesliga survivor Borussia Moenchengladbach and plans to showcase his abilities at the FIFA Confederations Cup next month in South Africa in hopes of landing a deal with perhaps an English or Spanish club. Italy's Catania was also interested at one point.

I'm also hearing that former MLS forward Matt Taylor, who has been with Koblenz in Germany, seems headed for FSV Frankfurt, another second-division club that narrowly escaped relegation.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

RE: Onyewu

Well, if he puts forth a strong showing against Brasil, Italy and Egypt his stock should rise - but those are talented clubs, with talented forwards, who could easily make Gooch look feeble and decrease his stock too.

I think it's a gutsy decision and best of luck to him!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And, if you'll remember, exactly the decision that Bocanegra made last year. He went into the summer internationals without a club, and wound up with a full-time starting gig at Rennes -- and a very good one indeed.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Yep. Rennes, incidentally, are in sixth place (Ligue 1 has one more match left) and could potentially still make the Europa League, but will have to win at second-place Marseille to have any chance.

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Or it could backfire and Gooch could get injured and then not find any good offers.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

doggie! bite thy tongue!