Once in a Lifetime

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Sep 20, 2006.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

The Cosmos, Once in a Lifetime, story airs tonight on ESPN2 starting at 9:00 pm EST.

2. rumstove

rumstove New Member

mmm crap...well, i guess i missed that one. :(

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's an ESPN movie; it'll run 52 more times.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

And then you can watch it on ESPN Classics 52 more times.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Sorry, guys, but I think it was a one-time thing. I don't see any re-airs listed in any guide.

It wasn't all that great, maybe it would have been better without commercials. It was pretty good at showing the rise and fall of the Cosmos and the building block the the team left on soccer in America. But when it ended I felt like the documentary wasn't complete--like they tried to get everything in there but just glossed over the some important history of the club.

6. DCDave

DCDave Member

I read the book that was based on the movie (or vicer versa, I think the book may have come first). Based on DCH's comments above, the book was certainly better than the movie. It was very complete and nothing was glossed over.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Okay, I saw on the bigsoccer messageboard that ESPN will be re-airing the Documentary.

CHANNEL:
    DATE / TIME: October 18: 8:00PM [ESPN] and
    October 22: 2:00PM [ESPNHD]

I think the times listed are CST.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm hoping it's as good as some of the stuff that HBO has been putting out -- the USWNT 91ers, Billie Jean King, how the Tigers saved Detroit after the riots, the weirdness of Oakland As/Raiders in the late 60s. I couldn't be bothered to watch the ones they did on the Red Sox and Yankees, and I'm not too keen on seeing the one they're doing on the Cubs, but their reportage is pretty good and their shows are entertaining.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Dave, it wasn't all that bad, it just wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. If you know a bit about the Cosmos history I don't think you learn anything new. But it was fun to listen to the interviews of former players, coaches, and business people invloved with the Cosmos. And some of the old clips are worth watching alone.

Maybe glossed over isn't the right word, it's more like the viewer was rushed through the history. But I guess that's going to happen in documentary that runs about 90 mins?

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Good to see that we can still catch the Cosmo's story. I actually thought that was going to be a movie in the theater.

HBO's documentary on USWNT had my wife in tears (not me though, promise...really....no seriously).

The one on the Red Sox was actually really good.

And the A's one had to make you like the A's at least a little, just for all their quirks. Of course I have no choice, since my wife is a lifetime fan of the Athletics.

Another show that I think was a really good idea is ESPN's "The Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame..." Whoever came up with that premise deserves an award.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

12. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Hooray! :rock: Thank you DCHeather.

Speaking of movies, has anyone seen "The Miracle Match"?
    (note to self: Rumstove, check the music/movies section as there may already be a thread. :roll: )

13. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I learned alot from this movie and being 21 and not knowing alot about the Cosmos it was a great movie. The thing I got from this movie was what would soccer be like today if NASL still existed.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Now I'm really looking forward to seeing it. The NASL certainly helped those of us who were coaching AYSO, but the word was that it was really only something for kids and that there was really nowhere to go. I know that I never thought of Americans playing in England and competing for the European Cup, nor for us doing anything in the World Cup.

Mostly these teams were filled with slowed up Brits and others. The Americans really figured very little -- especially on the Cosmos.

I did see them play against the San Antonio Thunder ... must have been the summer of 76, and it was amazing. I'd seen several matches as one of mayby 3500 people tops, but for that match the "Rock Pile" was packed with foreign students from the English Language School at Lackland AFB. It was like an English match. Pele played 45 minutes, and the Cosmos looked another league up.

15. Tony_USA

Tony_USA New Member

DCH, thanks for the info - it's ion my calender.
    A little bit of tattle challenge - give two links between Cosmos and Fulham