Once Again, why Qatar?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Money, Money, and....um, ah....money.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Unless the venue changes, there are going to be repercussions that could absolutely shake FIFA and the World Cup tournament itself to the core. The World Cup Finals may be the biggest sporting event on the globe, but the viewing and advertising revenue for the entire tourney doesn't come close to what comes in from the BPL, the Bundesliga, LaLiga, and SerieA. FIFA wants those leagues to shut down so that the tourney can be played in non-life-threatening weather conditions. There's no way that's going to happen -- just as there was no way that MLB was going to shut down for the Olympics so that the best players in the world could compete.

Just have a look at your average British, German, French, or even American web site. People are much more consumed by their club than by their national team. We're pretty much the only Fulham site to keep such close tabs on our national teams. FIFA REALLY screwed up with Qatar, and there's really no way out for them. Either they proceed with a mid-winter tourney with none of the world's top players competing, or they get their asses sued off for breaking their covenant with Qatar.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

What a tragedy and travesty. Starving a kid to death to sell her organs? yeah that really makes no sense and I'm no where near a trained medical professional.

Any investigation of the selection MUST center on FIFA, not Qatar. That culture is what it is.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Haven't seen anything official, but saw on the ESPN ticker that the tournament will not be played in the summer, but between Nov.15 and Jan. 15. What ever happened to the giant Air Conditioner Clouds that were going to hover of the stadiums :roll:

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I would have loved to have seen it, but who thought it would have even been a possibility?
    [​IMG] :lol:

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'm not sure Qatar has ever said they want the WC moved to winter which makes the fact that they were awarded the WC all the more ridiculous. It shows that FIFA themselves recognize that even with the air conditioner clouds, a WC cannot be held in Qatar during the summer. This story is based on the FIFA Sec Gen. saying in a radio interview that he thinks the 2022 WC will be held between Nov - Jan. I havent hearrd the context of this statement. Maybe he was simply asked his opinion about what he thinks will be the outcome of the committee looking into moving the WC to winter. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks FIFA decided to issue this statement to see what the pushback and pushback issues will be.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

nevzter likes this.