On Sports Fandom..Redux! Burrow not so Messi

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 11, 2023.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

A long, long time ago, I wrote 'Why I'm a Follower, not a Fan' on these very pages. I made the transition early in life after the Yankees beat the juggernaut Reds in the 61 series.
    This week Joe Burrow became the highest paid player in the NFL. Then they played the Browns.
    The very same Browns which Bengals fans pointed and laughed at, for literal Decades, over their quest for 'The Elusive Magical Quarterback'.

Is it Kharma... or just plain hubris. Whatever... I'm just thinking Joe won't be suggesting a "Meet of the Elite" with Lionel Messi, anytime soon.
    What's worse is that success in any endeavor depends largely on team spirit and attitude. It's hard to see an ordinary team recovering from such a huge humiliation, especially from an archrival.
    If they do, that will truly be a sign of great leadership from both Burrow and Zac Taylor.
    I'm an admirer of both. But they have yet to prove they are anywhere near the same League as Messi and Beckham.

SoCalJoe, nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

@pettyfog For whatever reason Cleveland has owned Cincy since Burrow has been there. Throw in he missed all of camp w/the calf, and a loss was predictable. Mr. Fog they started poorly last year (Burrow w/appendix missed camp), but got to the AFC Title game. If Burrow stays healthy, they’ll be playing the important games in Jan.

pettyfog likes this.
  3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yep... There's tons of pschodrama and badmouthing behind it. Bear in mind, the seeds of Brownie angst stem from same ownership betrayal that shut off Paul Brown.
    Whatever... The fact is that it's hard to deal with QB overhype (Lamar Jackson - 'Field General'...Really?!!!) when the rubber meets the road.
    Ask Jets fans.
    It got so bad during the summer I became convinced I would root for Brock Purdy to be the highest rated QB at the end of the season.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023