Olympics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I found it a frustrating game. The US has far better players, other than Sinclair who is better than anyone, and did not play up to their potential. Their organization offensively is horrible. They pass around the back, maybe send it wide, but it always ends up as a long ball to Wambach or Morgan. Then when someone does get the ball inside the box the keep it on their feet rather than trying some one touch passes and runs. I'm not sure they ever played the ball through the midfield. It was so freaking predictable and that is why Canada was able to give us such a good match. And Leroux is just out and out lazy unless the ball is on her feet. Not at all sold on her and would prefer Rodriguez over her versus Japan

And with that call and the penalty, the Canadian fans will whine about this for years to come. Even if the US can up their game enough to beat Japan and win the gold, people will forever say it wasnt deserved.

All that said you have to hand it to the girls, they definitely dont give up.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Manzano came in second in 1500 after a nice kick and Centro came in fourth. Tough luck to Centro, he was was in very good position until the beginning of the last lap where he got boxed in had to work a bit to get out of it. If the race was just a little longer he probably would have nicked third. He's young and shows a lot of promise, so I think he can push for an Olympic medal next time.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Intentional or not?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ggsT2HWkc[/youtube]

At first I tought no, it wasn't. But then again she knows where Lloyd is when she lands behind her and then doesn't really try to avoid stepping on her when she steps to the side. :think:

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

How in the h**l is it still 1-nil/ COME ON YOU USWMNT! :angry-banghead:

5. jumpkutz

LLOYD!!!!!!

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yay! Solo or Lloyd for WOTM? I will go with Solo, amazing saves to keep the US in the lead.

7. jumpkutz

Totally agree Heath. Without her, they lose. Phew! This is not good for my heart. UNBELIEVABLE!

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Came back down from the mountains in time to hit the local Chili's for the last 60 minutes. Hope was huge, Lloyd redeemed herself from a lackluster WC.

:clap: to our dynamic duo of May-Treanor & Jennings-Walsh; 12 years of dominance and ending it in style.

Doing the media blackout and looking forward to the decathlon and Bolt's 200 tonight.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Mexico wins gold in men's soccer. I can't say I have a lot of warm, happy feelings about it; but congrats to Mexico.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Mo Farrah wins again doing the double in 5,000 and 10,000. The field was crazy and went slow and tactical playing right into Mo's advantage. Lagat got clipped entering the final straightaway. Would have love to see where he would have finished if that didn't happen, he didn't fall but that took a lot of steam outta his kick. Fourth isn't bad, I'm sure he's a little disappointed. Rupp went a little too soon and finished well behind the medalists. Crazy last lap, turned into a 400m dash with the entire field going for it.

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I've sorta lost my appetite for sports of all sorts, but the wife and I always followed the gymnastics since Olga and Nadia days.
    {Lemme hear ya say "Who?"} :)

Just skimmed this time around but have to say that's still my favorite story.
    Hats is off to Gabby and her mom. Freakin' GREAT story.
    And to Ali for her justifying presence of mind...and the Karolyi's for keeping the things fair.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Congrats Meb on fourth in the marathon!!! Congrats to the Ugandan on running and winning the race the way he did.

13. sullytex

sullytex Member

Got back from the olympics yesterday. Incredible experience. The Brits did a phenomenal job in organizing it. I have ZERO complaints.

We saw the Mexico v Senegal quaterfinal at Wembley. A high scoring game which I had no skin in. 4 goals into our net. Drank rum out of a bottle back at the Eros statue near Picadilly square with some crazy Mexico fans after the game. I congratulated them. The Senegal players were beasts compared to the Mexicanos.

Also went to the gold medal women's match. Great game, back and forth, awesome crowd and aptomosphere. Lost my mind on the second US goal. So I ened up watching both the gold medal soccer winners.

The rest of the events we saw were equally enthralling, even weightlifting. The night we went to athletics, they did the men's 100M medal presentation so that was pretty cool to see Bolt get his gold.

Ran into the US gold medalist in the triple jump in customs back in Houston and had him sign the Athletics ticket we had. That was cool.

Great job team GB, both athletes and organizers.

Back to England in September for a training course and a Fulham match v Sunderland. Olympics are now off the bucket list.

14. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

And Team USA wins yet another Gold Medal in basketball. It wasn't easy, but that's because Spain is loaded and could probably be a home court team in the Western Conference Playoffs. The problem is that this USA team can knock down three's at will and build a lead whenever they want. They pulled away at the end thanks to Kobe, Durant and James. Paul played pretty damn good as well.

Going into the tournament, I thought this team could beat the Dream Team with their shooting and athleticism alone. Then the Spain game came and they struggled with the Gasol brothers. Pau is amazing, but he's not Patrick Ewing or David Robinson. After this game, I would probably give the edge to the Dream Team, but it would be an amazing game and I'm not sure if I'm wrong and this team would win. Whenever you can pull out a 29-46 from three for a game, you can beat anybody.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator