Olympics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Jun 17, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Mo, USTAF has zero pull when it comes to US immigration laws and granting of US citizenship. He was already a US citizen for 3 months when he represented Kenya in the 1500m in the 2004 Olympics, he didn't tell anyone he was a US citizen because that would have disqualified him from competing at the Olympics (or didn't think anything of it, but I think he most likely knew he would be banned). That was the controversy regarding his EARNING of US citizenship. If he told anyone about the switch he would have been banned from International competition for a year, and I doubt anybody would have kept a secret like that at USTAF. He was in his prime when he made the switch and wanted to beat El Guerrouj, perhaps the greatest middle distance runners of all-time on a grand stage. Lagat missed out on the gold to El Guerrouj by only a 12 one-hundredths of a second in that Olympics. To say Lagat was never one of Kenya's best runners is just bizarre. And why did you move the goal posts? First you say he never won a medal as a Kenyan, I post all the medals he's won while representing the country now it has to be gold medal? Ok, he's never won gold in the Olympics...fine. But El Guerrouj was close to not ever winning gold in the Olympics, and is still considered one of the greatest runners of all time.

If it is all about US track being concerned about medal count, why didn't they alert IAAF that Lagat was ineligible for Kenya at the time they supposedly helped him with his citizenship? Wouldn't telling IAAF have given runners that were representing the US an extra chance to claim a medal?

And to say he's taking a spot away from an American is weird. He's an American. He earned his US citizenship just anybody else who went through the process. He took the required test and oath, which is more than what a lot of others have done to become a citizen. He went through USTAF qualification just like everybody else and EARNED his spot. He didn't take a darn thing away from any other runner.

I'm not sure you really understand what USTAF does. They really don't provide a whole lot in way of training programs or money to athletes. Yeah, they have list of registered coaches and some youth programs. And do support promising athletes with some stipends. But all top level runners belong to running clubs and/or have a personal coach, which would exist with or without USTAF. Professional runner's in this country earn their livelihood by shoe company endorsements and winnings at meets held worldwide (especially in Europe). There really isn't any huge financial windfall for being an American runner. Probably would be better to be anything but an American runner, as it's not a huge sport like it is in other countries.

I doubt we'll ever see your Qatar scenario for the Olympics. Athletes who switch national sides must withdraw from International competition for a year. No runner who wants to earn a medal will really want to go down that route, as runner's need that competition to see where they stand and improve. Plus, I am sure there rules in place at IAAF regarding such a situation of a country paying for athletes to represent them.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

BTW...

http://www.usatf.org/News/Tarmoh-withdr ... -Team.aspx

Shame because, imo, she earned that third spot outright. I'm just not seeing a complete tie for third in that photo:

[​IMG]

It's really close but to me Tarmoh edges her out. And it was displayed on the board that she had earned that spot immediately after the race. Took her victory lap and all. Then they tell her later that she has to enter a tie-breaking race in the next few days or withdraw. That's rough. USTAF should have had at least tie-breaking rules beforehand.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

The lack of tie-breaking rules is perplexing. Rumors on the radio today said she declined the re-race because of PED issues. We'll never know, err, maybe.

Hard to tell from that photo as #1 is at full stride (and decelerating) whilst #2 is about to enter full stride (and accelerating). Crazy finish, nonetheless.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

To me it looks like Tarmoh's right arm is twisting her torso just ahead of Felix's...it's an extremely close judgement call, but I still think she nicks her at the tape as most of her body is over the line compared to Felix's. But it is the torso that counts.

Not sure about the EPO allegations, don't think any performance enhancing drugs would leave your body that quickly. Plus, they are training partners and have the same coach, so I'm sure the runners would be in the same boat in that regard. But I am certainly no expert in the field PEDs. The first thought that entered my mind was litigation against USATF.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Immigration law provides a fast track system for "aliens of extraordinary ability" to get green cards and subsequent naturalized citizenship. Companies and universities, as well as sports teams, use this often to attract the top talent to the US. I assume US Track and Field was involved in verifying this, the same way a company would be as regards to employment, and allowing Lagat to be fast-tracked. If Lagat wasnt going to run for the US there is no reason to give him the fast-track citizenship route. If his citizenship was kept secret for a few months while Lagat ran for Kenya in the Olympics then perhaps he received it sooner than expected. Perhaps up-front Lagat and US track and field were always planning for him to be a citizen and eligible to run in time for the 2008 olympics. We see this all the time with athletes - you never know how long it will take for them to get a Visa, passport, citizenship, etc. US track and field would have no incentive to blow the whistle on Lagat in 2004 because he couldnt have run for the US due to the ban.

I think it is naive of you to think USTAF was not involved. From the NYT 2008 http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/sports/olympics/24lagat.html?pagewanted=all

The controversy I referred to was not in 2004 but prior to the 2008 Olympics when the issue of Lagat running for the US was debated in the US media and among average Americans like me who were not aware of his switch until then. Any vagueness or inaccuracies in my original statement on this is because it was four years ago. All I know is that four years ago, I read and heard the details and decided I thought it was BS for him to do that. Also I did not move the goal posts. I said he had never won a gold medal not a medal. When you posted your list, I clarified by specifying olympic gold which is what most people mean when they say Gold medal. I honestly dont keep track of what they give out to indoor champions and have never heard of the World Cup in track.

I didnt say Lagat was "never one of" Kenya's best runners, I said he wasnt their best, the best. And my implication was that he was not their best in 2008. In Beijing he did not even make the finals of the 1500m but two other Kenyans did. Again, could he have even made thier Olympic team. I didnt realize my every word would be nitpicked as bizarre and weird. I didnt go look anything up I was speaking from my recollection of the situation four years ago.

As far as Lagat being an American, we've been through this before with the Germans playing for the USMNT. Yes, Lagat is a US citizen, but he is a Kenyan runner. Kenya is where he became a great runner. It is the Kenyan track program that developed him as they've developed great runners for decades. He earned the right to represent Kenya's track program. He did not earn the right to represent the US track program to the degree that other runners who were a part of the US track system for their entire lives did. Can you honestly say that if you were the person that came in fourth at the Olympic trials you wouldnt be miffed at Lagat sweeping in as part of the team. Can you be sure that when he decided to run for the US he didnt take away sponsorship dollars from other American runners, dollars that could be used to help them afford to train, dollars that would be going to support US track rather than prop up aging Kenyan runners. Why even have a US track program then if we dont care about where the financial support for our runners is going.

As far as the Qatar scenario we are already seeing it. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/jan/31/sport.jeevanvasagar
    As far as my statement about Lagat making the Kenyan olympic team, from the same article.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

The problem with your assumption is Lagat won a "green card lottery" he applied for in 1996, not an "extraordinary ability" green card. I believe he also received a F1 visa 1996 after the Washington State University offered him a scholarship and became a much improved runner from where he started training as a solely a Kenyan based runner. The coach you listed was the same coach he had at WSU (now at Arizona) and still trains with him today personally. His importance to delegation for that Olympics was that he was born in China, where the Olympics were held (as the article states), not because of he was part of some ploy that helped Lagat earn citizenship. I believe managers are selected by a committee each Olympics, made sense for him to be chosen for Beijing, since he was originally from China.

Plus, it's not easy for runners to acquire an EB-1 visa:
    http://www.runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=24969

Based on that I doubt if the USATF (an athletic governing body) can fast-track citizenship. US Army perhaps.

And Lagat has trained in the US for better part of his pro career and went to school in the US and competed in NCAA, doesn't that make him more or less an American trained athlete? Before he came to the US he didn't represent Kenya. I really don't want to go down some kind of nativist argument on who is and isn't an American in sporting events, as the vast majority of us are descendants of immigrants. When does one become an American and cease to be an "outsider"? To me, the simplest answer is when he or she claims to be apart of the country and should be afforded all the same opportunities as natural born citizens (as our Constitution allows).

Also, if I came in fourth in the Olympic trials and one the people ahead of me got there by cheating, yeah I would be miffed. However, that's not the case with Lagat. He followed the rules and earned his spot. I would question myself as to whether 1) did I give the race everything I had 2) did somebody ahead of perform better because they got tactics right on the money. Then I would immediately wonder if I want to go through the training again and if I could do really improve. Essentially it would push me to better myself. And I think having a guy of Lagat's caliber in the US qualifying pushes everyone to be better too. Competition against the best is better than destroying mediocre competition just for a simple appearance at the big stage with no shot of medalling. I think Rupp has improved tremendously with having to try to beat Lagat time in time out. He may even have a pretty decent chance of medalling this Olympics. It hasn't hurt Rupp having Lagat around, not sure how it hurts any other runner.

To say he wasn't Kenya's best runner (for his event) is debatable. He still holds the second fastest 1500 meter time in the world ever. Has won numerous top races in that event. And was beat out by a gold medal in Olypics by the best 1500 meter of all-time by .12. Yes, he didn't perform well at all in the 2008 Olympics after being heavily favored due to injury. But has since been one of the top performers in the world at 3000 and 5000 meters ever since. He has beaten Kenya's top runners in major events, even recently. Will he beat them in the Olympics this year? Maybe, maybe not. He did not too long ago in World's, no reason to think he can't do it again. It's tough to tell just going by qualifying times. If you went off that then no, he wouldn't beat them in their qualifying meet or in the Olympics. But it's a different ballgame. Runner's try to do the bare minimum to advance to finals so they're fresh, same with qualifying. But I don't think it would be fair to rule out the possibility that he would still be able to qualify in Kenya's Qualifiers. Plus, to assume that he had the sole intention to make qualifying for Olympics easier with US citizenship (on his part and the US Olympic team's) 10 years ahead of time for 2012 Olympics (or even the 2008) is too implausible for me to accept. He still had the possibility to qualify with Kenya while still living in the US earning the same endorsements. There really isn't any evidence to make me believe he was in it for money in regards to his switch and not because he's decided the US his permanent home country, as he's lived here all throughout his young adult life and now with his wife and kids (plus a brother and sister).

As to the Qatari situation, I'll wait and see what happens. They still have only managed to win 2 total medals overall in their Olympic history. My guess the rules to switching nations just before major competitions will become more and more stringent. Plus, the IOC, head governing body of the Olympics bans athletes for 3 years after switching representation of countries, but that can be waived by the previous athlete's national Olympic governing body. And also ran into this article in regards to IAAF and their rules regarding switching nationalities and representing a new one:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Kamlo ... story.html

7. Clevelandmo

Admittedly Lagat is more "American" (in running terms, never disputed the citizenship) than I realized initially. However, do you honestly think he would be the runner he is today if he didnt spend the first 18 years of his life in Kenya?

If he won a green card lottery in 1996 then I guess that means he decided he wanted to be a US citizen before he ever represented Kenya in the olympics so for this and various other reasons, I surrender on this one. Heather wins! :banana-dance: Bernard Lagat is an American runner.

See how much everyone has learned about Lagat and US immigration/citizenship because of me and Heather's bickering.

8. Clevelandmo

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

10. Clevelandmo

Damn the US WNT started Olympic play today. They're on right now v France Coyrwb
    I don't get it I looked at the NBC Olympic schedule and it showed nothing before the 27th

11. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

This is a repeat of the game too. They were on live this morning.

12. Clevelandmo

When north Korea and Columbia played they had the south Korean flag displayed. Doh :doh: It's a cliche but seriously, you can't write this stuff

13. nevzter

4-2 to the US. Battled back from an early 2 goal deficit. They are class - watching them is a pleasure. COUSNWT!!h

14. jumpkutz

USWNT is a class group of young ladies, no doubt. But they seem to have some issues defensively.

15. Clevelandmo

WOW can it get any more self indulgent :oops:

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I want to watch the Olympics live, not tape delayed on TV. Boo NBC, boo.

17. jumpkutz

Glad to see USWNT get a clean sheet result today against Colombia. They seem to have an "attitude" about them, as if to say the World Cup finish last year was an abomination.

I LIKE IT! :x

Next stop...Old Trafford on Tuesday vs. North Korea!

Wishin' I could be there!!!

18. nevzter

Mo', is that an invitation? I've got so much more in the tank for these Yanks....hahahaha

19. Clevelandmo

Wasnt talking about the US ladies. I love watching them play. Anyone see Abby Wambach get clocked by some girl named "Lady". My that's nasty.

20. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Pretty cool watching the Womans 140km Cycling today and watching them cross Putney Bridge into Fulham.