Olympics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Jun 17, 2012.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure which section to put this in, but it looks like Craven Cottage and Fulham F.C. were "snubbed" by the torch relay route folks. It's going by Loftus Road and the dog track, but not down Stevenage past our historic grounds. What rubbish.

http://www.london2012.com/torch-relay/route/

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Shame, but no biggie.

Can't wait for the track events to start. Come on Lagat!!!!

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Thanks for the reminder Mo. I'll be anticipating the 800-10000 meter events.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Excellent performance by Galen Rupp last night.

6. Clevelandmo

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Not too shabby for a Decathlon guy. It was nice that the guy who was leading that race let him claim victory in that last event.

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

9. Clevelandmo

That was an incredible run by Rupp. To get passed in the final stretch like that and somehow find the power to battle back and win is really something. I've never been able to get excited by Lagat. He certainly is a heck of a runner, but I'll never be able to condone becoming a naturalized citizen of a country just so you can run in the Olympics. If you're not good enough to run for your own country except your fate. Dont move to another country and take a spot away from someone who has worked their entire lives to represent their country. I certainly could not live with myself if I did that. He could have gone to a country that didnt have enough runners making the A standard, but I believe the US did in his races.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

HUH?!!! Lagat has represented Kenya in the Olympics before and he's good enough to represent them now. He became a US citizen because he wanted to be a US citizen as it is his home where he married his Canadian girlfriend he met in college (Washington State) and now has a daughter in Arizona (where he trains). Kenya does not allow dual citizens to represent their national team so he only has the opportunity to represent the US. Kenya's rules prevent him from representing his native Kenya, it's not because he's not good enough. He came in second in the last World Championship to Mo Farrah, perhaps the best 5,000 meter runner right now and the favorite to win gold at the Olympics (and he gave him quite a run).

11. Clevelandmo

He wasnt the best in Kenya. Never won a gold medal for them if I recall, I could be wrong. I remember there being something about him and team tactics against another Kenyan runner and he still couldnt win. He decided to get US citizenship for money and to become the best. Why else would he want to be a US citizen? He married a Canadian. If anything he should have become an Canadian citizen; they probably didnt have the max # of runners meeting the A standard. I'm sure US Track and Field had their hand in it. They and Lagat can paint it however they want, but it still doesnt make it right in my book. It was controversial at the time for a reason.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'll just paste the relevant info from Wikipedia here:

Lagat as a Competitor for Kenya:
    Olympic Games
    Silver 2004 Athens 1500 m
    Bronze 2000 Sydney 1500 m
    World Championships
    Silver 2001 Edmonton 1500 m
    World Cup
    Gold 2002 Madrid 1500 m
    World Indoor Championships
    Gold 2004 Budapest 3000 m
    Silver 2003 Birmingham 1500 m

In March 2005, Lagat announced that he had become a naturalized citizen of the United States since May 7, 2004, despite competing for Kenya in the 2004 Summer Olympics. Since Kenya does not allow dual citizenship his silver medal in the 1500 m was at stake, but in the end he was allowed to retain it. Because of this switch of nationality, Lagat served a ban from international championship events.

13. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was done as a precaution to avoid setting Plastic Michael Jackson's hair on fire.

Heated track debates at FUSA. Who knew? I'd never heard of Lagat prior to this discussion, but I find myself agreeing with Heather. If he had the opportunity where he was, I'm not so cynical as to think he pursued US Citizenship for money. Nor do I see why we'd pay for him if we already had a stable of runners who could compete with him.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

here's my mandatory quadrennial statement:

I hate what the Olympics have become. I hate professionals competing. I hate the "medals table." and I hate the fact that an American who finishes second has failed and SETTLED for silver. Most of all, I hate the rampant nationalism.

I will not be watching -- except women's soccer [if they bother to broadcast it].

15. AggieMatt

Ah, heartbreak for the Aggies chasing Olympic spots. Just watched Jeneba Tarmoh fail to qualify for the Olympics in the 200m final. She had finished the 100m final last w/e in a dead heat for 3rd with Allyson Felix and it's undecided whether they'll use a coin toss or run-off to break the tie. Felix won tonight's 200m final to earn a spot for London. Here's the pic of the finish of the 100m, Tarmoh is on the inside.

[​IMG]

The torso is used to decide the winner, thus the dead heat.

In the 10k, A&M's Natosha Rogers finished second with a personal best time but b/c she hadn't broken the A standard mark, the 4th place finisher gets the spot due to breaking the mark in a previous race. Rogers fell short by 14.21 seconds. Literally fell.

The A standard bit A&M's Sam Humphries as well. He finished 1st in the Olympic trials in javelin, but he fell short of the standard...by 14 cm.

Three very close calls, hopefully Tarmoh's works out for her. It'll be a bit of a surprise if we fail to have anyone make the track team since A&M has won the last 3 (2009-2011) NCAA Outdoor National Championships on both the men's and women's sides.

16. Clevelandmo

Ag, I believe US Track and Field ruled the 100m race for 3rd place a tie and they issued new rules to break the tie, which basically gave the women first choice to make a joint decision themselves. My hope is that Felix will concede to Tarmoh. Tormoh should still make the team for the 4 x 100m I thought. That was some race though. The sprints are exciting for US qualifying. So much competition; all of the American sprinters that make it to the finals should be incredibly proud of what they've accomplished

17. Clevelandmo

Well if you're in need of someone to cheer for in tonights womens 1500m may I suggest Maggie Infeld. She attended high school just a few blocks from my house and she and her sister, Emily, dominated Ohio long distance running when they were in high school. Maggie is not a favorite but she did have the third fastest qualifying time for the finals so you never know. She also in her third year of med school so the girls works damn hard.

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Sorry, Mo, about Infeld. Essentially no upsets in either the men's or women's race yesterday as the top 3 ranked 1500 runners are through.

Local boy Centrowitz going to the Olympics in the 1500. But I doubt he'll have the same success he did at the World's last year, where he earned a Bronze.

19. AggieMatt

The Tarmoh/Felix 100m situation keeps getting weirder. They agreed to a run-off, but now Tarmoh is saying she feels she should have won and won't participate in the run-off, giving Felix the spot. Strange. I don't get why she'd give up this late.

We've had two swimmers qualify for the Olympics though. :banana-dance:

20. Clevelandmo

Well a storm prevented me from watching :angry-banghead: darn satelitte. Sounds like she got a personal best and easily achieved an "A" standard time so if that event wasnt so stacked with US talent, she might have been on her way to the Olympics.

For me, here's the thing with Lagat. Yes he was a top runner for Kenya, but he wasnt their best and never got an olympic gold. As he got older he would struggle to even qualify for their olympic teams, maybe wouldnt have qualified for them in 2008 and definitely not now. If you're not their best or Africa's best, you're not going to get the endorsements and support that you would as the best American 1500m runner, and later 5000m runner. He became a US citizen to run for the USA and get the money that followed. It also prolonged his career. So he trained here, many of the African runners train in the USA or Europe, but still run for their nations of birth. He didnt have to get US citizenship to continue to train and live in the USA.

He also got his citizenship pretty darn fast so I suspect US Track and Field helped him out. And I'm sure they knew Kenya didnt allow dual citizenship. The result, Lagat and US Track and Field, have taken spots away from deserving American runners for two olympics in a row. And he has American records that would've otherwise been in someone else's name. I'm with Hatter on this, it's all about the medal count. US Track wanted Lagat because he would be a big upgrade in events where the US struggles to make an impact.

For some time the US has had some of the best training and athletic facilities in the world and as a result a lot of world class athletes from numerous sports (tennis, swimming, etc) have come to the US to train. If they all did what Lagat did then the Olympics would cease to be the olympics. It would be the best athletes in every sport competing for the US and a few other wealthy countries. We will see Qatar getting more and more medals. You have to draw a line somewhere and in my opinion, Lagat crossed it. Especially since he already rep'd for Kenya. Just my opinion.