Office Christmas Party

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 18, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It DID exist.. sorta. And still does ..sorta

Atlantic Monthly: Megan McArdle and Commenters

2. psand22

psand22 Member

Those drunken office parties are around in some areas, but they're endangered. I think the opportunities for sexual harrassment is what has really done it in. Some might think that people are drinking more responsible and that might be some of it.
    People are still drinking with abandon and doing everything under the sun. But they can't take that chance in front of the boss or co-workers....You never know what might slip out after a few tall ones.

So, I believe they're pretty boring these days. But don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are a few still raging today.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

My office party was definitely still drunk.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've been working since I was 15 and I'm 61 now. In all that time, I've never attended a "real office Christmas party." The closest thing I ever experienced was the "flight Christmas parties" when I was in the Air Force overseas. These were always held in the NCO club or a pub or gasthaus, so there wasn't the storage rooms or closets for hanky-panky. The big attraction was it was the wives' only opportunity in the year to dress up. So ALL the married guys had to attend. The only trouble usually resulted from a really foxy wife getting too much attention from some of the singles. Later, as women entered the career field, there was a lot more trouble from the wives when their husbands would dance with the single female airmen. If there was a problem, it was based on the root of 95% of all problems associated with military personnel since the dawn of time - booze.

When I became a civilian, I worked in schools -- no Christmas parties there, and then went into the Education publishing business. I worked for a number of years at what was then the biggest, but their "holiday parties" were for employees only -- no spouses or dates, so we saw the same people we worked with, only it cost us money to attend and we had to dress up. Our "table gifts" at these soirees were promotional items left over from our national sales conference that happened the week before. I'm serious; my most memorable Christmas present present from this company was a cardboard windshield screen with the company logo on it. Considering that they gave no cash except to top executives [the windowships, we called them], those $0.38 baubles doubled as our Christmas bonuses as well. I remember telling my boss that even Fezziwig gave young Ebenezer Scrooge a Christmas bonus, and that had to have been in the 1820s.

My new company evidently throws memorable Christmas parties [very family oriented], but it's a rather long drive from South Texas to the Twin Cities -- much of it through snow and ice -- so I don't attend.

At one point in my life I had English in-laws, and I remember that in their circle, the office Christmas Party often was a prelude to divorce court. I heard tales of disappearing apparel, physical displays, and bosses leaving early so as not be called as witnesses. It would be nice, in this festive season, if people who actually have attended memorable parties could post some rememberences -- please no family names.

British members; don't be shy. We could use some chuckles in the neighborhood these days. :wink:

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

as the french post-structuralist jean baudrillard wrote: simulacrum!

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I can vouche for the continued survival of the drunken Christmas party. Just glad it was my wife's. It's alot more fun not being so closely connected, and watching....and inciting.

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I've stopped atteding Christmas parties as I have a self control issue.

One year, shortly after moving in with my wife, I attended a Christmas party at a venue around 1/2 mile from my parents house, I got so drunk that I literally crawled home on all fours (when I say home - I was in autopilot and cralwed to my parents house). Upon arriving I was too drunk to stand and attempt to open the door and so curled up on the floor and fell asleep, it was snowing and I was in a shirt and trousers. Fortunatly my sister came home around 30 mintes later where she found a very cold me unconcious and dragged me into the hallway, rang my wife to let her know I was alive and left me to sleep.

The following year I had a physical set to with the FD after he made an uncalled for comment about my wife and have never been to an official Christmas party since.

I have attended many unofficial Christmas drinking sessions with my team and close colleagues and if you want to hear about them I will glady regail you with these tails over a beer on sunny Sunday in Putney.

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Best Christmas party I ever was at -- on 24 December 2003. That was the date my unit rolled over the border from Iraq back into Kuwait. No alcohol, just some MREs, water, and anything that the fam had sent to us from home. No debauched tales of nudity, as all of us were not much to look at in the best of circumstances.

What a great fucking Christmas it was :D :D :D

9. EricD

EricD New Member

One of the memorable Christmas party tales was when I was working in the ER back in 1989, and a guy with a severly lacerated foreheadwas brought in by several people all dressed up. Turns out, the guy was "dirty" dancing with his secretary/assistant at the annual Christmas office party, her husband took offense and threw a pretty full beer bottle that hit him in the head. The one comment I remember the hurt guy said as they were discussing the what why when and how was, "I just do not get it, everyone was dirty dancing." Oh, the influence of movies.

I think the guy was lucky that the ER MD on that night was a surgeon, so he got stitched up nicely.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yeah, I JUST CANT figure that out, either... sheesh!

Uh... sorry. You must be young, {re:Dirty Dancing}. That was art imitating life, not the other way 'round. don knows.

Yeah... I always hated that, wondering if some GP intern was in the pocket of a plastic surgeon.

heh.. :twisted:

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Going to an office Christmas party tomorrow. Loads of beer, wine, and liquor are loaded in my husbands car right now. All I know is that if there are any non Fulham or non US MNT fans there, I will be in their face and good stories are bound to be the result.