Offical Super Tuesday thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Spencer, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Blah Blah Blah...

Democrats make the same types of damning, destructive, backhanded arguments...
    Republicans are a party that is out to bury the poor and under serviced - a bunch of whiskey drinking, cigar smoking czars who don't listen to the people and who are in this "war" on terror just to line their own pockets. That they are in bed with the oil companies and that they want to slash and burn the earth and could care less about the middle class.

I am not saying there is no evidence that some of this may be true, but it is their job to present this in an extremest way.

So a republican uses this same tactics to bring in voters and you are "bloody sick of it."

Come on Don - all part of the broken system. You cant throw rocks at the republican party with out acknowledging that the Dems deserve a few rocks of their own.

I dont care who you support, but you cant be so blind as to think that both sides are not involved in the same slime.

You say Romney is an asshole? Well Hillary is a total bitch.

It goes both ways.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't think calling Republican candidates insensitive, elitist, uncaring, favoring-the-rich, pro-big business, and anti-minority is anywhere in the same ballpark as calling Democratic candidates pro-terrorist.

Romney used the phrase "in a time of war" two or three times. People who support "the other side" in a time of war are traitors. He was explicitly calling us traitors. So, the Democrats are calling the Republicans uncaring, biased, and inept, and the Republicans are calling the Democrats traitors.

You're right; there's no difference at all -- except that people aren't liable to be jailed and executed for being uncaring, biased, and inept.

If you can't see the difference there then either YOU are the one who is partisan, or you aren't offended when people call YOU a traitor. I am; I'm afraid.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

In OTHER WORDS... a true believer can INTERPRET the SECRET CODE.

do the rest of you get that?

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I hope that you are not getting the feeling that I do not normally vote along a party line - I do...

Also, You are right - I wouldnt want to be called a traitor either.

Exactly the reason that I am not that worried that a democrat feels attacked when I constantly hear the popular leftist argument that the war is just a ploy to control oil and line the pockets of oil companies and - thus - the republican 'puppets' in political power.

How is that not calling republicans traitors - It implies that they dont care that soldiers and innocents are being killed in a war and that they are just money grubbing, conspirocy driven, heartless elitists.

If you are thinking, "Well - they are!" Then you have no business being offended or scared.

I understand that I am being argumentative, but I would rather not be. This is why I try to avoid these kinds of discussions (I know - a cop-out), but anyway...

That is my only point - what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

I have heard on NPR that if Clinton and McCain go thru there is some talk that it will be the lowest voter turnout on record.

I hope that is not the truth... As you said Don - the press experts have had a hard time this go round so this may just be another example of them missing the pulse of America.

5. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Don - I have called you Tom several times here and in other threads - I am not sure why I have made that mistake... But I have fixed it.

You must look like a Tom to me.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was assuming that you were confusing me with ChicagoTom and I was honored!

No sweat.

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

He never used the word "traitor." Stating one's opinion about the outcome if the "other guy" wins is NOT the same thing as calling them a traitor.

Look, I'm a registered Democrat, and my foreign policy stance is more closely aligned with the Dems than the GOP, and *I* didn't see the statement as anything more than toeing the party line to the Republican base - Democrats weren't even the audience.

8. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

I was outside my polling station, handing out Ron Paul stuff, which only a dozen people took, and I got a mean comment from someone who told me I was in the wrong neighborhood just because she saw that Ron Paul was a Republican but had no idea what he was for, then I left for school and felt sick the rest of the day and ended up staying home the next day with a fever. If I was more awake, a couple more dozen people would have taken those leaflets.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Hope you're feeling better, WU. Congratulations on getting involved, Don and I can agree on that.

I was actively involved one campaign, Mike Dewine's first run for state office {assembly}. After attending the installment party and watching him closely, I decided I didnt like him and had some doubts about his motivation.

It made me understand that Pols aint perfect and adult life is just a repeat of 'High School'.. only more convoluted. Took until his last term, though, to make me - and a lot of other Ohio Republicans, evidently - sick of him.

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I stupidly believed someone who told me I couldnt vote in the Ohio primary unless I declare a party. I finally looked up the info and found out that's not true! Now I have only a few days to start paying attention and decide what to do.

*I could vote for McCain and my vote would mean nothing since he's already won

*I could vote for Hillary, something I once said I wouldnt do if she was the last person on the face of the earth, as a vote for McCains chances in the general election.

*I could vote for Hillary because she provides more insurance of a competent white house

*I could vote for Barack, a vote for change and optimism but I dont know what else yet

I dont know what to do and once again I have in my hands a powerful Ohio vote. I'm going to go do some research but if anyone wants to try to sway me, fire away.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wouldn't dream of it, Mo. Find as much as you can about what they say and what they've done and then trust your own judgement. You'll never be happy with your choice unless you do.

We'll meet back here Wednesday some time and compare notes. By the way, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Neither HatterMom nor I are as sure of who we like as we were a month ago and may not make a decision until we hit the polling place. A puzzlement.

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I imagine you're happy that you finally have a presidential vote in Texas that means something.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

that's a fact, Mo. I moved my registration from NM to TX in 1976 and I haven't had a meaningful vote in a presidential primary until this Tuesday!