Offical Super Tuesday thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Spencer, Feb 4, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

GBFC.. afraid you've got it a little off. Republicans might seem to have a direction.. but it is an illusion.
    The primaries are when the candidates play to their bases. IOW, they lie.. a LOT! McCain would have been quite comfortable running as a nominated Democrat a few decades ago. Therein lies the animus you might detect.

Of course there's a greater schism within the Dems, but it isn't about their policies.. it's about the process.

It's the fresh bright full of hope newcomer with a promise of change.. vs the established machine pol. If Hillary and Barack continue to run neck and neck, there's gonna be REAL brouhaha across the party once they get to the convention. Because Clintons dont like to lose, and they will do anything to make sure it doesn't happen.

The only way Obama can win is to amass a clear lead.. and that means 10 or 15% MORE delegates than Hillary. Otherwise Hillary calls in her chits and she is the candidate. She would have to make Obama her running mate... or half the Dems will revolt. Some will revolt even if she does that.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Huckabee is just in the race to ensure that McCain gets the nomination.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This was the message that pretty much every right-wing radio and TV pundit has been harping on for the last 10 days or so, culminating in "forget Huckabee; vote for Romney" pleas/nags/orders over the weekend and on Monday.

In view of the fact that Romney finished 3rd in some states last night, it seems that Conservatives don't like to be told who to vote for any more than Liberals do. :twisted:

OMG, the Texas primary is March 4. For the first time since I first registered here in 1976 -- registered in NM before that -- Texas might actually have a say in who is on the ticket in November.

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Unless Obama says that Edwards would be his VP, then Clinton is gonna take the nomination. If Clinton is the nominee and McCain is the nominee for the Repubs then I think there is a good chance of the lowest turnout in the history of a general election(recent history).

5. pettyfog

You are enjoying that too much, Don.

Here's some interesting tidbits I heard:

MA: Though Kerry and Kennedy endorsed Obama, MASS and almost all the NE went to Hillary..
    Southern White vote went to ... ta da .. Obama.

Go figger!!!!

The 'Magic Pen' {actually a display stylus} a few voters were given to mark paper ballots. Workers swore they were trained on them and they would work?!!! 20 ballots rejected.

And THIS..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWKxwVZmomc

That's JUST what we need... the Paulians crying fraud.

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The Paul morons will always cry fraud. They have to be the most annoying supporters ever.

When will Romney finally realise he is not gonna win? I hope he drops out and then right afterwards Huckabee drops out. Just more fuel to piss of Romney supporters.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Actually, I don't want Romney to drop out until he's spent every last penny of his children's inheritance.

Perhaps I AM enjoying this too much. :lol:

The best thing about Super Tuesday is the best thing about this entire campaign: the press EXPERTS continue to be wrong about everything, every day it seems. This is what comes from basically interviewing each other over and over. Times have changed, and the press haven't any clue that things are changing all around them. McCain dead in June 2007? Hillary a mortal lock? Romney unacceptable to GOP conservatives? Rudy's greatest strength in Florida? Come on, you idiots; get something right!

8. pettyfog

You confuse Romney with umm... a Kennedy. His kids, once they get through collich, dont need their inheritances.

You see, they were raised to... oh, never mind.
    ;)

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, I guess your joy is over Don.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/07/ ... index.html

10. pettyfog

GWOT as a reason? Maybe he's less an optimist than I am. He should know better than I would, I guess.

Hmmm well, there IS Brzezinzki..

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, he's auditioned nicely for VP candidate in the traditional flame-thrower role. Here's a quote from his statement:

"In this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror. This is not an easy decision. I hate to lose," the former Massachusetts governor said.

"If this were only about me, I'd go on. But it's never been only about me. I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, in this time of war I feel I have to now stand aside for our party and for our country."

In other words, I've got to help unite the party, because the Democrats are in league with the terrorists.

My God, what an absolute asshole the man eventually turned out to be.

12. pettyfog

Come ON... you want me to come up with equivalent rhetoric from Hillary?

It's ALL positioning rhetoric. you know that. You guys knew he couldnt win and STILL you were afraid of him?

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yes, please. Find me a quote from Hillary or Obama saying that Romney/McCain/Rudy/Ron/Huckabee are "aiding a surrender to terror."

14. pettyfog

I cant... I was speaking of the rhetoric style and you know it.

None of the Republican candidates have loony leftist one-worlder constituents as yours do.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Non-sequitor of the month! By the way, you finished 2-15 also. :D

16. pettyfog

Was that to illustrate a 'non-seq'?

17. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Cheech and Tom era.

18. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Um...Don...did someone spike your morning orange juice? How you can read THAT from Romney's statement takes creativity of epic proportions.

He knew he couldn't win as long as Huckabee was in the race (splitting the conservative vote) so he's being the good 'lil Republican and bowing out "for the good of the party." Heck, if "W" admitted we were in a recession, he would have used that word instead of "war."

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I can take that because he said just that. He said that his continued presence in the campaign would make it easier for Obama or Clinton to win in November, and that therefore his continued presence in the primaries would "aid a surrender to terror."

He basically indicted Clinton, Obama, and anyone who supported them or voted for them for aiding a surrender to terror. There is no other possible interpretation for what he said. You can call it campaign rhetoric like Pettyfog did, but you can't say that it doesn't say what it says.

As FFC24 said, the Republican strategy continues to be telling the voters that "it's either us or the terrorists" because the Democrats are either willingly or stupidly aiding an eventual terrorist victory. This is venal and vile and FFC24 and me -- for two -- are bloody sick of it.

20. pettyfog

Perhaps I need to parse a few Clinton speeches on how bad the economy is... the breadlines, etc. And how we are going to fix that by..

It's amazing, isnt it.. that only Don and a few conservative die-hards really take that to be the primary issue.
    JUST for THIS purpose, Don wants to suspend the concept of 'identity politics' and 'playing to the base'. While, perhaps, STILL employing the idea of 'communications privacy'.

Which of course is the favorite meme of the left, at the moment...

To be precise, the Dem moonbat base wants to be able to circumvent Executive Orders and be able to file, class action, against Telecom companies who give up call logs. The two Dem candidates will skirt around that with vague dialogue, but it isnt going to happen.

I dont think...