Obama's Cabinet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 17, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I've been loathe to comment on Barry's choices up till now because, while his background might be a combo of marxist mentoring and Chicago Machine fiddling, he's got his own mind.. I thought.

But now he's appointed the head of the Chi-Town Schools as Ed Sec'y because apparently the appointee knows what doesnt work.

As the WSJ points out, he couldnt have been looking for SUCCESS.. otherwise he'd have appointed someone from NY, DC or N'awlins!

As for everything ELSE in the newsfront:
    So much for hope and change..

1) deny
    2) lie
    3) equivocate
    4) ignore

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I wondered what you'd say about this appointment, considering that his positions are almost identical to what Rod Page's were 8 years ago. Charter schools can work and work well. The thing is that charter schools -- like all public schools that receive attention, money, and decent facilities -- can produce well-educated students. As for "school vouchers," the election of a Democratic president pretty much killed this plan.

While there's really a couple of arguments to be made for school vouchers, what mitigates against it is the two major reasons why the WSJ and other "intelligent" sources embrace it: public schools are tax supported, and the teachers' unions are strong. I haven't seen any arguments from conservative political action groups that show any real zeal for improving the quality of education, but you can't go more than two sentences in any right-wing article or blog about vouchers without strong trashing of teachers and their unions.

About the rest of the cabinet, what is there that dashes what were obviously your fervent dreams of "hope and change." Where's the denial, lies, equivocation [which, as we've already established, are lies], and who as ignored? Seriously, I haven't seen any nomination that either makes me smile or makes me frown. The only surprise I have is that he seems to be getting rid of some senior Democratic senators.

3. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I was chatting with a friend of mine who is/was an ardent supporter of Obama. He seems to think Obama may be implementing the old saying "keep friends close, and enemies even closer".

It is interesting how he is going about everything. I like the fact that basically, he seems to already be the President. It shows a certain "action orientation" which I like.

Don, read the WSJ Opinion page for one week, without your nose plugged, and then tell me that it isn't intelligent. :) You don't even have to agree but really read it.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I think the article was perfectly reasonable. As to the difference between Charter schools and voucher programs, well... all I can say is that the record of Charters in Ohio is, ahem, 'mixed'.

Don I'm pretty sure you dont WANT to get into it on large urban teachers' unions. I have sources with DEEP documentation.

The whole point was that he could have made a better appointment.

And I dont have too much to complain about on his appointments either . With the obvious exception of the crooked influence peddler, Holder as AG.

But that will be fun in the confirmation hearings so lets hold off on that.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RR, you're getting as bad as Pettyfog. I said "the WSJ and other 'intelligent' sources." How did you get from that I thought they weren't intelligent?

6. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm not a fan of the Transportation choice. LaHood doesn't seem to have any transportation experience, let alone anything mass transit-related.

7. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Ok, well I misjudged your comment. I thought you were being slightly sarcastic. I feel somewhat ok with my read on your comments, given comments about my favorite paper that were made, by you, on an another 'unnamed' thread very recently. :) Comment withdrawn.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I am suddenly reminded of when President Reagan picked Elizabeth Dole has his transportation secretary. With a senior senator for a husband, both parties treated her confirmation hearing as if it were an afternoon tea party. It was kind of fun to watch. Most memorable was when a senator asked her how familiar she was with the next generation [i.e. newer than seatbelts] of passive safety restraints. She responded, "I'm very familiar with airbags. I've been married to one for a while." Brought down the house. She didn't do a half-bad job as secretary, considering her work experience prior to getting married was as a tobacco lobbyist.