Obama's Berlin Speech

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Here's the full text. What do you think?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-election/ ... tml?page=6

My favorite part:

2. sublicon

sublicon New Member

RE: Obama

It was a really good speech.

People are wondering why he's out there. I don't get it. He's been criticized for not visiting the middle east, not having any experience, being a candidate who will be inept at foreign relations . . . and now people are saying "Why the hell is he out there?"

Sorry, but the guy is getting an interesting leg up with this tour. And I think giving speeches like he did in Europe does a lot for overseas perceptions of our country and who may be in the drivers seat.

The Europeans aren't voting in our election no, but I still think it's important. He certainly got a lot more press with his speech in Germany, than McCain did in a German restaurant. It's a good strategic move for him, and he's done a good job.

There's a lot to be said for someone who can inspire people with a speech like he does. Clinton was saying "we need more than just words" . . but words are a lot more than we've received from Bush right now. And Obama no candidate is going to be able to deliver more than that and campaign promises until they get in the White House.

I think McCain is going to be toast if Obama can continue the momentum.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The RNC was begging for this trip. They wanted Obama to go so that he would make some stumbling mistakes, something that would make him appear as inexperienced and over his head as he actually is. This would give the vast middle a "socially acceptable" reason to vote against Obama in November. If the polls are to be believed, it is foreign policy and the foreign perception of strong leadership that is McCain's -- and the Republicans -- biggest asset in the November elections. The RNC hoped against hope that this trip would increase McCain's gap over Obama in this category. However, it looks like it is going to narrow it instead.

The predictable reaction of the Republicans to Obama's success is to fall back on the old left-wing media bias canard. Has the press reported favorably of Obama's trip? Yes, they have. Did the press set the bar low for him expectation-wise on this trip? Yes, they did. Does this mean bias? Perhaps, but those of us old enough to remember the first presidential debate in 2000 also remember that the bar was set so low for Governor Bush that he was adjudged to exceeded expecations even though he mistakenly said that Texas governors appoint judges, and even though he cited as an example of his "uniter" credentials a bill passed by a bipartisan majority in the Texas statehouse without ever mentioning that he ultimately vetoed it.

My biggest concern at this point is what drugs the people who are running McCain's campaign are ingesting. With a significant portion of the middle begging to have a reason to vote against Obama, McCain is running backwards. Tradionally, in the primary season, candidates run to the extremes to get the core [check-writing] voters. Then, once they've got the nomination, they moderate their views by appealing to the vast middle that ultimately settles all elections. McCain, on the other hand, ran during the primaries as a moderate. Now that he has the nomination sewed up, he's trying to appeal to Neoconservatives and Bush Republicans that are so unpopular with independents. He's even resorting to the individual attacks that he swore his campaign would be free of. It makes little sense.

I still believe McCain will be elected, but he's sure not making it easy for himself.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Why are people "begging to have a reason to vote against Obama"?

I mean, it's just you in there in the voting booth. You don't really need a reason.

5. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Wow HD, a post of yours I actually agree with. just this week my neighbor, who leans much further left than I do, was talking about how she really liked McCain until recently when he started catering to much to the conservatives that he used to stand up against. I just don't get what he's doing. Then they bring in a new guy to run his campaign and I don't think he helped one bit while Obama was getting more votes while being in Berlin. Wow.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mostly to reassure themselves, Josh. People honestly want to believe themselves to be rational and unbiased, and having a good logical reason for the decisions they make.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Rather scary that Don and I see eye eye here as well. Great speech.

Believe me, I am a believer in left wing bias in the media, but if someone reads the speech verbatim, then how is that biased in any way, shape or form? Maybe the standards we are expecting from this trip are a little low, but if he exceeds high expectations, it doesn't matter that some are grading him on a curb.

Not that I will vote for him, but if he wins, I will very much respect his presidency.

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Great speech, I would have said as much.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

dtwon, Steve ... you shouldn't be surprised. I agree with what you guys post MOST of the time.

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

For me that's the thing about Obama's speeches. He says so many of the things that I am thinking need to be said. I wouldnt say everything that he says but most of it I would, and he trashes no one other than the truly deserving.

11. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yeah, I think he's going to turn out to be a damn good President. I don't agree with everything he says or everything he wants to do, but he's centrist enough for my tastes.

12. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Precisely, and this is the beauty. He is the only one between the two major candidates who has any hope of really uniting people. There's always going to be something that pisses someone off for one reason or another, but I think Obama has the most potential to appeal to the most amount of people.

It's been a while since we had that.

13. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm sure not going to parse out his speech on this thread, though I could...not so much matter on the distinct facts he cited but on why he cited them.
    - - - - - -- - - - - - -
    Background Example: How the "British, French and US pulled together on the airlift." Yes they did, the British and French had troops and some transport. But the Brits were piss-broke by the war, and the French had been looted. Enter the Marshall Plan*.... to ensure the same thing that happened after WWI that led to WWII didnt happen again. That could have been used to point out that the US is in favor of every other country having the economic foundation to develop a lasting democracy. So that we dont have to go to war with, for, or against them again.
    * Some points, here:
    1. Note the opposition AGAINST the Marshall Plan! The usual suspects: The Pat Buchanan/Ron Paul wing, in my own Sen Robt Taft, and the leftist Henry Wallace who didnt want to piss off Stalin. if you want to look at the birth of Neo-Con, this is as good a point as any other than the vote to go into WWII, itself. Only it was called 'Republican'.

2. Scroll down and look at the windmill banner. See where the US colors are? Exactly where they belonged, and where some hate to see them today.
    3. The French actually DID want the same sort of depressing power over Germany they had after WWI. The Brits were having none of it this time and fought to increase the German steel-making cap to twice what had been agreed on.
    {Yet another reason why I dont give a F#@$@ what 'the French' think.}

See Berlin Blockade wiki Note the airlift planning groundwork was actually done by the Brits. While the French proved again, by refusing to participate initially thatthey are numbskulls stategically, but in tactics and solutions sometimes brilliant.
    - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -
    You never know a president until he's president. But you get a good idea by the people he surrounds himself with. That's my worry.

Also I'd like to know exactly what issues it is McCain is 'tacking to the right' on? Why not start a thread labeled "McCain appeals to the right of his base"?

14. sublicon

sublicon New Member

fixed.