Obama: Lay off Michelle

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, May 19, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

On Good Morning America:

I'm sorry Barry... Taking "For the first time in my life, I'm proud of my country" out of context is nearly impossible.

It's either in context for some point, or it's her attitude overall.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So is "Ronald Reagan made me proud to be an American again" -- the implication being that the speaker was ashamed to be an American before RR was elected. That implication didn't bother the RNC when they made this theme the very center of their "Morning in America" pitch in 1984. We saw this statement over and over on TV ads during the RR re-election campaign -- featuring farmers, factory workers, students, everyone -- all thankful that they were no longer ashamed to be Americans.

But that was different. These were Republicans and my letter to the editor claiming that I have always been proud to be an American -- even when Nixon was president -- didn't get half the legs that Faux Noise is giving a single comment by Michelle Obama that the DNC is NOT going to use as the center-point of their campaign this year.

And before you say, "what's your point?" My point is that people's patriotism is only questioned if they're Democrats, even if they've earned purple hearts or have left three limbs on the battlefield. These questions never are asked of the GOP, despite this administration's hand-in-glove relationship with the worst purveyors of war profiteering in this country since the Civil War.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I'd go even deeper. This is about Black people's patrotism.

Fair or not, if you are a Black person, especially seeking public office, the days of criticizing your government with impunity are nearing an end. Is that good or bad? Arguable, but regardless, it is happening.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Was going to write something delineating the difference between the Reagan remark and Michelle's but then I went back and looked at what Michelle said. She actually said this was the first time in her adult life she has been "really" proud of her country. There is no difference between the two. Both statements imply at least a former pride in their country.

I dont know why Barack just doesnt point out that the nations response to their campaign has made Michelle really proud rather than just proud.

5. pettyfog

Don.. why cant you address ONE $#%#$ ISSUE without pointing to republicans?
    I was about to blast the GOP in another thread, while the Dems have split their party down the middle, the DC based GOP is without a freaking clue and has blown itself up!

But why should I be critical, when your talking points are so familiar:

Here's ashortcut link for you to use, just cut to the chase.

6. pettyfog

And by the way... the issue for this thread is not what she said or meant by what she said, it's the idea that what she says is off limits.

That was used for an example... point on context: want to point out why Obama assumed Dubya was talking about him in the 'appeaser' reference? Like I said... CARTER!

Want to point out Barry's misquotes of McCains "100 Years in Iraq"

7. pettyfog

What are you saying? Here's my take on it... I am past even thinking of Obama as 'Black'. I think of him as a mantra spouting liberal. His ONE saving grace in my book is that he's a social conservative.

But there's no doubt that, because of numerous varied motivations in the electorate, after this election things will never be the same in American politics.

They said a catholic couldnt be elected: JFK

What's happening here is that black americans -and Democrats - are not going to be able to use 'racism' as an excuse for not promoting candidates, other than the usual buffoons like Jackson and Sharpton. It makes no difference who gets elected.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Perhaps just as important, what do you think I am saying, pettyfog?

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

or me, for that matter.

10. pettyfog

Why are you here? And how is what I think you're saying important at all? I affect nothing, I'm only here to raise issues... and give Don a straw man to poke with a stick.

Basically - I think- whenever he reads something in the media that's threatening to his political views.

I've noticed a correlation.. which is it Don? Pelosi's Irag trip or Rep McGovern's FARC connections?

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I said what I said, and I am curious what your interpretation is, as well as some others may be. Like it or not, you are the personification of a certain viewpoint of a section of Americans.

Come on pettyfog, the only thing you have to fear is fear itself.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well, I don't know where "Irag" is, and I have no idea who Representative McGovern is, but that's okay, you go ahead and make up reasons why you're on the mark and everyone else is out there.

13. pettyfog

Oh... I see now.

Aha... I went back and reread EVERYTHING. Your REAL point is in the first highlighted statement, not the expansion of it.

Now I THINK I KNOW what you are saying.
    Pettyfog criticizes Obama and anyone who criticizes Obama is really just a rascist and/or a bigot.

In other words, your views havent changed a bit since the first time you called me that.

The last highlighted retracted with humble apologies. Unable to find the post.

14. pettyfog

Don 'diverticulates' AGAIN!

He must REALLY have a bug in his craw. stick - straw man
    ;)

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Oh, and speaking of not dealing with the issue of someone's post, are you going to comment on the essential difference between "For the first time I'm really proud of America" and "Ronald Reagan made me proud to be an American again?" You don't have to point out that the former was said in one speech and the latter was the centerpoint of an entire re-election campaign ... I think I covered that well enough.

So, what IS the essential difference?

16. pettyfog

AGAIN... meaning, I assume, AFTER CARTER, and possibly Nixon? After our bugging out of Nam?

REALLY ...meaning, I dont know what. I can only pair that with her other comments, maybe the fact she had to pay off Harvard Student loans. And/or her 'sense of aloneness' in the Ivy League community?
    {- Everyone here that thinks back to their early years and thinks they wouldnt feel 'estranged' from the typical Harvard student demographic raise hands!}
    OBVIOUSLY, that a black man was actually a serious candidate for Pres, helped by fact it's her husband. Badly worded, though.. is it not?

ONE MORE TIME, lets hear if you guys think what Michelle says should be off limits?

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

nothing anybody says should be off limits for discussion. However, it shouldn't be the ONLY thing she says that's discussed.

Fox will keep running the Michelle and Rev. Wright sound bites, and will continue to comment on "unfounded reports about Muslim tie-ins" and they'll be all superior about how it's a shame these scurrilous reports pop up, and they'll do it all with pictures and the crawl saying stuff like Obama Muslim tie-in, what do you think? And they'll dothis 24/7 so that they can constantly remind people that:

Obama is black
    Obama is linked with Muslims
    Obama' preacher hates America
    Obama's wife hates America
    oh, and Obama is black.

I know why Faux Noise is doing this -- they're the propaganda wing of the RNC, and their prime strategist is the best in the business at this -- Karl Rove.

What I want to know is why YOU keep doing this? Who is it on this site who's vote you suspect can be swayed by this constant drumbeat?

18. pettyfog

Now wait a minute... Are you saying we should just close up the forum? I mean if you feel a 'Drumbeat' here, perhaps you should stop and examine your own neural responses.

I dont like Obama's themes. I have NO idea what he's going to do when he gets in. But I HAVE to look at him in relation to Jimmy Carter, he's using just a tad TOO much Carter-speak. Not to mention his bringing on Brzinski {sp?}

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, if he gets elected -- which you know he won't -- I guess you can be ashamed to be an American again, just as you did when Carter was president. That's okay, though; because it's alright to be ashamed of your nation when a Democrat is in the White House.

No, I don't think you should shut up shop. I do think it's cute that you create the "no flaming" and then make the majority of threads you create a drumbeat of flame Obama. I also think that you shouldn't be so quick to take angry umbrage when somebody calls you on it or disagrees with you, and I don't think even you believe that anyone buys that your commentary is "fair and balanced."

Oh, and there is NO correct way to spell Zbiggy's first OR last names. I admire the way you keep trying, though.

So, back to my question. I know the purpose of Faux Noise's drumbeat, but I'm still a little curious as to who's vote you are trying to sway when you expand their message to this site.

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

You are right that my point was the part you highlighted.

As far as what YOU THINK YOU KNOW, you are completely out in right field. And I would like to see where I have called you a rascist or bigot in the past.

Finally, I would much more theorize that this somewhat dramatic shift in government culture demands a responsibility that affects Black Americans, or other minorities in government, than Conservatives and/or Republicans. But it does affect rascists and bigots nearly as much also.