Obama/Huck choice makes my head hurt

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jan 7, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Michael J Totten put up an instant poll on choice if Iowa results held up.

Notable, to me, this points out that folks who really FOLLOW politics on the center/right see the choice as a quandary.. and really requires splitting hairs.

Totten says, of the two, he would pick Obama. And I understand that, I'm close to agreeing.. though the probability that our foreign policy would actually get worse puts me off. Between Albright/Clinton and Brzezinski/Obama, I cant imagine a worse choice.

Which I think Totten actually might agree with... since he answered a Paulian type posting in those comments of what Rudy G said about our Foreign Policy really having nothing to do with core radical Islamist motivations. Rudy, as he quotes, said:

The commenter then asks Totten:

Totten responds, immediately:
    Which is exactly right. Like Rudy, Totten gets it. When you read BinLaden's 's fatwas, he uses Foreign Policy as an excuse but it really comes down to what he says between the lines.. that the West is decadent and threatens Islam. When the local preachers echo the bulk of OBL's mantra, THAT is where the Terrorist comes from.

Which makes Totten picking Obama more puzzling... except that some of us realize that you never know what a guy is gonna do once he actually assumes responsibility.

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I'm a centrist, maybe even a conservative who supports Obama... even while still supporting the War in Iraq.

I will never support Mike Huckabee, although I find him refreshing and a great speaker. He's what religous Americans should strive to be. Amiable and fair, rather than hateful and dogmatic. He has my respect, but not my support.

A general election between the two would be great though and the country would have some really good debates leading up to the Fall election.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Except for the supporting our youth being stuck and killed in Iraq, I agree with you Lyle. Although I would not be opposed to seeing McCain fill the Huckster's slot.

With all the talk of fractionalization and polarization, the country seems to be moving towards a more moderate leader now. Thankfully.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

it's certainly hard to envision someone less centrist and more confrontational than our current president. But HatterDon's 74th rule of politics applies here: Regardless how unlikely it seems, it can ALWAYS get worse.

Ta ta, fellow citizens [you too, Brits]. 8)