Obama and the World

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Mar 17, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Geezy - Pete!

If I dont post news of the world and political issues, it just goes away?!!! I figgered SOMEONE would pick up the cudgels.
    Well, here's a topic starter:
    "When I am elected, I will restore the image of the USA in the eyes of our friends and allies."

How's that going, then?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't really know, actually. I'll bet if you did some research about recent polls taken in those nations who might consider us "friends and allies," you might have a hint.

A comparison of March 2008 and March 2009 responses to questions along the lines of:

Do you view friendship/alliances with the US as favorable or unfavorable to our country?
    Do you view the power of the office of POTUS as favorable or unfavorable?
    Do you view the performance of the current US president as favorable or unfavorable?

Responses to that from nations who are members of NATO and OAS [not to mention polls taken in Israel and Russia] might help answer the question, "how's that going, then?"

Now, I'm assuming that you have that data, and that it all shows that "our friends and allies" trusted President Bush more than they now trust President Obama. Why else would you post this?

Jus' askin'

3. pettyfog

uh, no I dont give a flying fucvk what the idiots on the street over there think of us.

I care what their GOVERNMENTS think of us. That's what's important.

So far we've made great progress in looking like the administration is staffed by incompetents.

Now put down your collector Movie DVD's, hit the RESET button and try again.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

If I wasnt so busy Fog, I'd be posting my list of lies. Someday, when I have the time. You're just going to have to carry the torch for now.

5. pettyfog

SOMEONE only reads the news that makes em feel good 'mo. They have to have it proved. But it's IN hte news.

Screw that.

6. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Hold on now, all Petty said, and it is his opinion, that we have made good progress on making the White House look like it's staffed by idiots. It's a strong opinion but there has been some debate regarding several of the nominees backing out due to vetting issues and some backlash on the dude who has been asked to fix the economy. I have avoided the news myself as much as possible but admit to listening to NPR for a bit most days of the week. Even they have been discussing how things are going with some questions marks, meaning they don't seem too sure everything has been all that efficient.

I haven't got the fogiest, to use a pun, how the governments around the world view us, and frankly I don't care, just like I didn't when Bush was President, but again, Fog said it was a topic starter, not a stone cold fact, so let's don't get too sideways with his comment. Debate it if you want, but not very sporting to beat up a guy for starting a topic.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This is pitiful. You guys are running to defend big attack dog Pettyfog from the ruthless Canadian college student. It's sad and it's silly. You guys don't like Obama ... I'm shocked. I'm not all that in love with him either.

So, if it was a gambit for sparking a serious discussion, would SOMEBODY else please answer Pettyfog's question. Oh, and you don't answer the question about whether Obama has restored the image of the United States abroad by saying:

I don't give a crap what foreigners say. OR
    I have a list of lies that Obama told. OR
    The Obama administration is staffed by idiots.

What's next? "Ooooh mommie, that bad man wants to make us have socialized medicine."

If you want serious discussion, Pettyfog, start a column with a serious request and then don't attack somebody who disagrees with you. And the rest of you, Jim's a big boy. It's not really necessary to rush to his defense when a 19-year-old from Vancouver responds in a negative way.

Silly, pitiful, sad. And too insubstantial even to make it on Fox News.

Gone

8. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Settle down Don. Nobody is attacking young Spencer. Petty brings things to himself but I think some of you already have your mind made up before you read his posts as to what they mean and how they were intended before you actually read them. You have emotional outburts.

Listen, If I had half the intelligence Spencer has when I was his age. my gosh, no telling where I would be right now. Spencer wasn't standing there by himself, you were right there with him. A big 6' 2" former soccer player and military man with 6 decades of life experience is surely not defenseless. Just because he is 19 doesn't mean we can't make observations about what he is saying.

I only mentioned I don't care about what the rest of the world thinks, because I don't, you can that is fine by anyone standards, but I don't. So I didn't care to debate that issue that Jim offered up as a topic. I was just attempting to throw my two cents in to what I perceived Jim was trying to say, again opinion. Seems to me it is fair game. Same rules, different leader. It has been a bit bumpy so why not discuss it if it interests you.

9. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

One last thing, in Spencer's defense, his first comment was fair and to the point. Jim's response was why prove it it is out there in all the news outlets.

Heck if I am hearing it on NPR, then..............but alas, we only hear what we want to hear so who knows.

Let's just hope IT doesn't continue and that these bumps prove temporary or inconsequential.

10. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I'm no Obama supporter by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't know how you could expect much change in global perception after a few months unless you're assuming a predisposition to the guy to begin with.

To weigh in on RR's point about "caring" what the world thinks, I don't trust the rest of the world to have our best interests at heart. As such I side with the opinion of "who cares". While I don't think we should run around willy-nilly antagonizing people, we are essentially the Yankees, ManU, the Cowboys, etc so there will be plenty of shortsighted folk who would love to see us taken down a peg from time to time. I say shortsighted b/c as witnessed in the past 6 mos, from an economic standpoint, as we go, so goes the world.

As for lying. This just in, Barack Obama is a politician. If anyone is surprised by this, then shame on you for being a fool.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And the fact that neither FulhamAg nor RidgeRider cares what the rest of the world thinks would go a long way towards explaining why they didn't begin a thread asking what the world thinks about Obama.

Your guess is as good as anybody's why Pettyfog started it when he EMPHATICALLY said he didn't care.

Child: "Mom, what's on TV tonight?"
    Parent: "Have a look at the TV listings in the paper."
    Child: "I don't give a crap what's on TV!!!!!"

"People all over the world, join in, it's the Logic Train, the Logic Train."

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

at least we don't have to worry about paying our mortgages, or putting gas in our cars, right? ;-)

13. pettyfog

That IS NOT what I said - RE READ!!!

Why do I keep having to come on and correct Don's take on my views on HERE. Dont have to do that in other forums!

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, here's what you said:

uh, no I dont give a flying fucvk what the idiots on the street over there think of us.

I care what their GOVERNMENTS think of us. That's what's important.

But here's what you started with:

Nothing about GOVERNMENTS in that salvo. Besides, you're not going to know what governments' think [does each government only get one thought?] because GOVERNMENTS don't go to the press and say "I think Obama's gread" or "I think Obama sucks."

Next time you want people to defend Obama, which neither I nor Spencer did, by the way, just come out with a post that says something along the lines of.

Then we'll know what you really want, instead of foolishly taking you at your word, as I did with my first post in this thread.

15. pettyfog

'Friends and allies' when used in foreign policy and statecraft is their GOVERNMENTS!

You're in the corner.. give up!

16. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

19 or 20. You are still twice as bright as I was at that age.

BTW: How is the University system up their? Good, different, better? All the above.

I would actually be interested to hear what you polysci students are talking about with the respect to the recent change in administrations. I could use a 'fresh' perspective. :)

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

But I did the get "he" part right, at least!

18. Lyle

Lyle New Member

For the most part world governments are too timid to criticize Obama hard... they're still figuring him out. However, many foreign governments have asked him to stop the "Buy American" clause in some bill in Congress, and European governments don't want to get more involved in Afghanistan which Obama is going to do.

19. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

What I think will be interesting is the first time Obama takes a position for American interests that are in opposition to the rest of what the world would like. What will happen if the UN approves a resolution that said Yassir Arafat should be granted a visa to enter our country? What if Obama does not agree with a resolution like the Kyoto protocol? I expect him to stick by his guns and lead our country, not the rest of the world, or those who do not have our best interests at heart.

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

What I think will be interesting is the first time Obama takes a position for American interests that are in opposition to the rest of what the world would like. What will happen if the UN approves a resolution that said Yassir Arafat should be granted a visa to enter our country? What if Obama does not agree with a resolution like the Kyoto protocol? I expect him to stick by his guns and lead our country, not the rest of the world, or those who do not have our best interests at heart.