Nostalgic Foods

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Feb 10, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Taking a cue from Justin's thread (unfortunately, there is very little in my area that's great), how about a thread about food that makes you all warm and fuzzy? For me it's a simple grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. Brings back memories of my childhood days of sledding in the cold snow, then coming home and being greeted to my mom's delicious grilled cheese sandwiches (with a slice of a tomato in between) and a hot bowl of tomato soup. Warmed those cold fingers and toes right up.

2. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I can almost smell the tomato soup.

3. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Does anybody remember or have a Toas-tite? Those were great for grilled cheese.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

yeah my mom used to make us grilled cheese sandwiches using one of those. Loved them.

As for nostalgic foods, my mom used to make a vegetable-beef soup with turnips in it. I still have to make it every so often, yummy and healthy too.

When I lived in england I was very nostalgic for buffalo chicken wings and everything bagels with cream cheese because I couldnt get them there. I actually still miss everything bagels because so few places put salt on them anymore. They have to have salt.

5. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

I was raised on fast food as my parents can't cook so I don't really have any nostalgic foods, at least nothing homemade. There used to be this place called Bono's that served bomb Chicago style dogs. We had them a few times and then they closed.

My dad would take me to Kenny Rogers Chicken and that was so good. The crust was peppery and the sides were good. I usually got to eat there during half days of school.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Some other nostalgic "food" for me are Willy Wonka's BottleCaps. I used get a roll of those after my little league games as a treat. I hardly ever see them around anymore.

7. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

They are actually making Toas-Tite makers again. I got mine off of e-bay a while back but my parents got one for both my brother's and sister's families this past Christmas.

Check out http://toastite.biz/Home_Page.html

8. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

There was on thing my Mom can cook and that's Enchiladas. Man it is such a basic recipe, but they are my favorite. Like, even though anybody could make them I doubt they top her Enchiladas.

Anybody else miss Planters Cheez Balls? Those things were the shiznit. Target has them under their brand, but I have yet to try them.