...No USA players @ Fulham - would you still support them...

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by LBNo11, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob

Jacob New Member

They may be playing in league 1 next season, but I'll support them! My affiliation to other teams in other leagues comes from people I know that support them, (HatterDon)playing with them in Fifa and pro evo.

Being at Craven Cottage to see the whites on to a 2-1 victory over Bolton back in 2005 made me a Fulham fan forever. People ask why? I just say because they treated me so well. All the people around the grounds and at the pubs were class and the match itself was wonderful.

To think, I almost got enticed to pay about $180 to go watch Arsenal and Blackburn play the day before at the Highbury Library.

I think if jdlecount could get to the Cottage for a match he would change his opinion.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The only way my support would go to another team is if we just kept going down the divisions until there was no possible way we could climb back up. This is my fear if we get relegated as we are a pretty small club who cannot bring in players now what would happen if we were in the Championship? I started supporting Fulham because Mcbride was on the team and I wanted to watch some of their games, but since that man City game in 2004 I have been loyal ever since. I will always love this team.

3. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

I've followed the Redsoxs/Patriots since the early eighties, does that make me any less of a Redsox who goes to every Fenway Park game ? no. Just because I live a million miles away from the Green Monster doesn't stop me looking for their results everyday and catching a Redsox game on TV on our weekly Baseball show, Back then Boston were, well not very good ( I still remember Bill Buckner doing a Peter Mellor?), but I stuck by them. Why? (all you yankee fan's will ask) For me it comes from being raised as a Fulham fan by my family and it didnt matter what division your team was in, we just keep supporting them. My first game was at the age of nine in 74, by the time I started following Baseball I was going to every Fulham game home away (Macdonald era). But Fulham started to slip down the table's and I started to go less games. Strangley enough at this piont I started to play American Football but i still checked out every newspaper for Fulham Reports and went to the occassional 'big' game at the Cottage (plus the American Football team I played for were called the 'Fulham' Cardinals!).
    Did that make me any less a of a Fulham fan ? Just because I live 5 miles away from the Cottage and didnt go to the games, of course not. It doesn't stop me supporting Fulham in any which way I choose. At the moment Im on a self-emposed ban from the Cottage because of the Coleman Sacking.
    but one day I'l return because its the team i support.
    put it this way, if someone comes up to you and asked you who you support and you say Fulham, well to me your a Fulham supporter.
    wheather you go to every game or follow them from afar. It's that simple.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

VB, if you ever make it over here...I'll buy you tickets for your first game at Fenway, Camden Yards, or whatever (whenever) stadium in DC, to see the Sox. I promise.

BTW...where have you been?

5. K.Snyder

K.Snyder New Member

Come on...Being relegated can't possibly be as bad as everyone makes it out to seem...

I think if they do then it will serve as a learning experience and to get them back into the winning mentality...I know if they were to get relegated they would definitely be one of the best teams in the Relegation leagues and I myself would look on to it as a rude awakening because of the way they been playing as of late, they really need to get alot better if they expect to win consistently in the EPL...

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The problem with that, is that teams that get relegated tend to keep falling. It happened with my Hatters who fell from the top to the bottom in 6 years, and it happened with Fulham in the late 60s.

Teams with a large stadium, a large squad, and a great youth program stand the best chance of coming back because after they lose their top players, they have to have some resource to fall back on. That's how West Ham bounced back up. It won't be so easy for Fulham. I'm not saying that there'll be a free fall, but I am saying that it's more likely with a team with resources like Fulham than for a team, for instance, like Charlton -- who have a huge youth system.

Also, this season is the worst of all possible seasons for the Whites to go down because, if they do, they lose out on their share of the new international television contract, and that is major bucks. This TV share will inject enough money into EPL teams so that both transfer fees and salaries will go up significantly. Teams missing out on those bucks may never recover the position they once had.
    The chance of a small club like Fulham bouncing back up in 2007-2008 are worse than at any previous year that I can think of.

That's why everyone is so nervous, pard, and why it's so vital to stay up, and why it was so stupid to sack the manager who had us farther away from relegation than we are at this moment.

7. K.Snyder

K.Snyder New Member

I can understand that, but my logic also tells me that if we don't lose any of our players then it won't be hard to get back in the EPL after next year at all...

If we do lose alot of our players then why should I still support Fulham?...I root for Fulham because of the players not for a name, or for the color of their jerseys like anyone else as a true fan should...If we lose our players then no I can't see myself still rooting for Fulham in that instance, and why should I?

8. RDG

RDG Member

I don't see this as a silly question, in light of the fans Inamoto brought and took with him. Yes, I imagine there are plenty of Japanese FFC fans who stayed with the club, but there are plenty more that ollow him around.

As for me, I'll follow Fulham, even when/if they are relegated. It's been an incredible time up in the EPL and I realize that, some day, it will probably end. No, we are not the "Manchester United of the South", so staying up year after year is not inevitable. With the internet and Setanta, following lower divisions is easier, though not as easy as following an EPL team. I can't recall if Hahneman and Lewis were on the squad when I had my epiphany, but it wouldn't have mattered: I didn't care about US players. Hey, any team that can lose to MU and make a battalion of MU fans UPSET was the team for me!

FTID

9. LBNo11

LBNo11 Member

surely a wind up...?

ksnyder said: If we do lose alot of our players then why should I still support Fulham?...I root for Fulham because of the players not for a name, or for the color of their jerseys like anyone else as a true fan should...If we lose our players then no I can't see myself still rooting for Fulham in that instance, and why should I?

An analogy: Would you feel the same way if say you are a republican and your republican candidate jumped ship and joined the democrats? Would you just support that candidate for who that person is or for the colour of his politics?

If this is not a wind up then OK mate, we are best off without you, you just don't get it, and likely never will, stick with comfortable. There are plenty of EPL teams that will suit your needs.

Thank (insert preferred deity) that some of you have more character and balls...

10. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Re: surely a wind up...?

I was waiting for someone to rip into him. He would be better off as a Chelski or Man U. Fan. I HATE fair weather fans....

11. metsfan15

metsfan15 New Member

RE: Re: surely a wind up...?

I came to Fulham because of the American players, but I am going to stay inspite of them. As a fan of all major American sports I can say that football (soccer) is different. People don't ask "Which team do you like?", they ask "Who do you support?". And to me supporting a team doesn't only mean when they are good you support them, but also when thay are bad. And it's because of those "bad" times, that make it that much sweeter when they are good. So to answer your question...Yes, I will support Fulham, with or without American's, in the Premiership or not, I now bleed White and Black...Come on Fulham!!!

12. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I am new here, and new to following Fulham. I got interested in Fulham because Fulham seems to be interested in the American Player. If that support fails - I have no doubt that at this point - Mine for Fulham will fail as well.

Many of you stated that you started out feeling this way - As time goes I am sure I will feel the same warm devotion for fulham as I feel for tottenham.

My question is - why even ask this question? Attempt at showing how devoted of a follower you are and run me away from the club? Seems like Fulham wants support and needs support to be able to become a top of the table club.

If you want to win - chasing away supporters by beating your chest about your undying devotion is probably not the answer.

I can get flamed over this, and that is fine - but this thread is offensive for people on either side of the line.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah; all told, I think it's probably time to lock this sucker up.

Mikey? 'fog?

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I will lock the thread, but I do not think the thread is offensive in the least bit. I think it is interesting to read what others think about this.

Trust me, the club will take any and all supporters. It is fantastic that so many Americans have jumped on board the Fulham ship because of the likes of McBride, Bocanegra, Dempsey and even Hahnemann and Lewis back in the day.

I do not think anyone is looking to carve anyone else up. If that is how some people feel, I apologize on behalf of the site. We all have different perspectives on why and how we support the teams we do. I think we should all respect that amongst one another.

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

This conversation, including LBNo11's response to locking, is continued in 'Anything goes'

Note to self... never do a move, leaving a tag, then merge... leaves an orphan link to nowhere...