Niemi Retires

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by andypalmer, Sep 3, 2008.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

When he hurt himself opening day last season, he never really came back. There was a timidity and rigidity about his positioning and "command" of the area, that wasn't present before. But there were times -- like when Cookie's CB pairing was Zat and Pearcey -- that he truly was Super Hero Niemi.

Keller was an upgrade, and Schwartzer is one, but Niemi saved our bacon more than a dozen times I can remember, almost standing alone back there. Good career; good luck to the Finn.

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Sad to see Niemi go. He pulled off some amazing saves in his day. Respect...

4. jmh

jmh New Member

He was huge for the Whites just two short years ago; shame injuries took their toll so quickly. Best of luck to him.

5. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

He will be missed on the pitch.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Unfortunately I never saw Niemi in his prime. I wish him the best in his retirement.

Does this leave us a little thin at keeper or do Stockdale and Zubwhateverhisnameis give us adequate coverage?

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Best wishes to Niemi, who did indeed save our bacon a couple of times a few seasons ago.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No, he was never in Roy's plans. If he hadn't been injured, he'd have gone to Liverpool early in the summer or Hull late in the summer. We've got two competent backups. That's as many as we've ever had.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

Don, your man-crush on Stockdale is approaching the level of your man-crushes on Volz and and Heath Pearce. Stockdale has never played a game above League Two. We have no idea whether he's a competent backup in the Premier League.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Josh,

Last year we started with Batista and Warner as our backups.
    This year we started with Stockdale and Zuberbuler as our backups. Which pair do you believe is better?

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Bottom-line w/out the play of the Superhero we would have been relegated, period, exclamation point. I'm sure this isn't the way he would've wanted to go out, but how many players (regardless of sport) do? Thanks Antii, you were a credit to the club.

12. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Good luck and best wishes to Niemi ...

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Last year we had Kasey and Niemi as well as Warner and Batista. I think we were better off last year, to be honest.

Which isn't the point I was originally making, of course, which is that we don't know enough about Stockdale to know whether or not he's competent at this level.

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I hope that Stockdale and Zuberbuler are better but I am not certain they are. Stockdale just jumped a couple of divisions and wasn't everyone wondering why Roy even gave Zuberbuler a trial?

My question for you is how many of us were moaning for a new goalie after after the first match last season? I think Kasey saved our hides last year and we were very lucky to get him. I hope the big Aussie goes injury free of course but if he doesn't Stockdale better be a gem in the making.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My point was that we're arguably better off now than we were at this time last season. Keller was not with us at that point. Here's the lineup now

September 2008 ------------------- September 2007

1. Schwartzer ---------------------- Niemi .... Big edge to 2008

BU. Zuberbuhler ------------------- Warner ... evens, but I'd go with Z

Future. Stockdale ------------------ Batista ... evens with no quibbling

Yes, we picked up Kasey and, who knows, we might pick up someone else in January. But based on what we have now and what we had then, I felt comfortable saying then, as I'm saying now

How that got interpreted as a "man crush" on Stockdale is beyond me, but I've breathed the air in Brooklyn before, so I know what Josh suffers through on a daily basis, and I'll give him a sprout.

16. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Well I personally miss the days of Lastuvka and Crossley...

17. jmh

jmh New Member

We didn't sign Keller in January, we signed him in August and he made his debut August 25th at Villa.

18. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Word on the street is that he'll help out Woy in some capacity, probably something to do with scouting Finnish players. Not sure if that'll actually happen, however.

Best of luck to Antti though, he saved our defenders' blushes on many occasions and served the club pretty well. Just a shame his injuries caught up to him and he had to bow out in this manner.

19. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

After the first match last season, I posted a "We should sign Kasey Keller" thread on TIFF.

<nick burns>By the way, you're welcome!</nick burns>