NHL Playoffs 2014

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by tim, Apr 29, 2014.

1. tim

tim Active Member

Didn't see a thread on this, so I figured I'd start one up.

My Kings have rallied from 3-0 down to force a Game 7 up in San Jose tomorrow night. I was fortunate enough to be at Staples Center last night, and if I've said it before and I'm repeating myself, I apologize, but...there's nothing quite like playoff hockey.

Anyone else have a horse in this race?

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Nice... I had a passing interest for a while. I see my 'local team' warranted a 'Participation Ribbon'.

"A FINAL PUSH FALLS SHORT"
    But I'm not even enough a fan to root for the Penguins from this point. Which is what I {or any sane 'homer' fan} would normally do at this point. Cuz I dont care enough.
    You guys have fun.. I'll prolly just lurk
    .. pf out!
    :mrgreen:

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

And...typical Sharks. I love my Sharks - equally close to my love of Fulham and the Giants and I'm so pissed off I can't describe, but I'm used to this. I got to see them hang 6 on Quick and thought this could be over. Foolish me - he's the US Olympic keeper for a reason and last night the Sharks failed to beat him, even with some quality shots, once again. For the life of me I will try to be in SJ tomorrow for game 7 but I may not want to experience my prior heartbreaks via the Flames, or Red Wings, or yet again, the Kings in Conference playoffs.

D'oh.

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

My Caps missed out on the playoffs, but the aftermath may make that worthwhile. McPhee's offensive oriented approach, led by Ovechkin, resulted in good regular season results, but the team wasn't built for the playoffs and it showed in the results. Hopefully they get it right with his replacement, get shot of Old Vodka Can, and blow the thing up and rebuild it correctly.

I've got Boston over San Jose in the Cup Final in a pool, so I'm rooting for those two. I said when taking San Jose that I knew they were cursed, but I thought they looked good to finally break through. If they lose again tonight, I'm thinking they're not just cursed, they're fatally cursed on the level of Bambinos and billy goats. Ironically, I'd planned on picking the Blues, but those last 2 weeks scared me off. At least I got that part right.

5. nevzter

Sharks...4th team in history to blow a 3-0 lead. Props to the Kings as they simply beat ass the last 3 games and to Mr. Quick, he's got to have a bit of Patrick Roy's blood in him, not just for the amazing saves, but he wanted to fight Thorton too. I wouldn't want to face the Kings at this point - they may not lose another game the whole playoffs.

6. tim

tim Active Member

From your lips, Nev. The Kings are, and have been for some time, very much a momentum team. When they're playing with confidence and when Quick is on his game, they can match up with anyone in the league. The question remains, of course, can they keep the momentum?

At any rate, you'll have to forgive me for a :banana-linedance: for last night.

7. AggieMatt

Have to wonder if anyone can come out of the West with enough in the tank for Boston. Chicago and LA look like they are back to Cup Finals form. Anaheim and Minnesota are both very good, tough opposition that will probably extend them. That Western Conference final is shaping up to be one heck of a battle. The East looks pretty pedestrian outside of Boston. Montreal, Pittsburgh and the scumbag Rangers can only match up with Boston on either offense or defense, but not both.

8. tslyon

tslyon Member

I'm really liking the Hawks right now. I think they might have it in them for a back-to-back. And if you look at what the Habs did in the 1st round, I'm not ready to count the out either...I think they match up pretty well against Boston. Any time you can get original six in the playoffs, it is going to be a hard fought series...

9. AggieMatt

Boston has been dominant statistically and outplayed them. In the NHL, that leads to wins the majority of the time. The two exceptions are if the dominant team is undisciplined and you have a good power play or if you have a goalie that stands on his head. I won't be surprised if Montreal takes another one. But, I give them little chance in a best of 7. I do love that rivalry though. In fact, I like the change back to a divisional format for the playoffs that has given us a lot more rivalry matchups in the early rounds.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

From left for dead (0-3 to the Sharks, sorry Nev) to 2-0 in the second round against their arch rivals from Anaheim look no further than the best goalie in the world when he is on and that's Jonathan Quick.

11. tslyon

tslyon Member

I'm not sure brother. With home ice advantage now, I think they have the edge. And, with PK scoring, I think it'll be tough for Boston to get back into this one. I'm really thinking Chicago, Montreal in the East final. Although that ass whoopin' in Minnesota is making me wonder if Chicago is built for the long tough slog of the playoffs...

Cheers,

Steve

12. AggieMatt

I was getting nervous that I had a helping of crow in my future before that OT. :? Instead, it's best of 3 and Boston has home ice back.

13. tslyon

tslyon Member

So yeah about that quip about Montreal...look at the time gotta go!!!!

Cheers,

Steve

14. tslyon

tslyon Member

So what I meant to say is... Matt, you're crazy. Boston will throw it away. The Hab's are playing great and have had to come behind all season... Boston? Really?!?! Please!!! :D

This has been a most intriguing series. Going to have to find a bar to watch Wednesday night...Shouldn't be too hard up here.

Cheers,

Steve

15. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Team Sybill aka the LA Kings have had the strangest playoff run so far. Lost the first 3 games, won their next 6, than have lost their last 3 :shock: Better go on at least a 2 game winning streak to keep their season alive

16. tim

tim Active Member

Only difference--the most recent losses have, at least, been close games. Still, schizophrenic, and causing me continual intestinal distress.

17. tslyon

tslyon Member

Great series. Some of the best hockey to date this year. I was at my local watering hole, wearing my USA jersey and cheering for Boston. Just to rile the locals. Great fun and laughs all around...

Cheers,

Steve

18. nevzter

After the SJ series, never would've thunk it that the Ducks would push LA to a game 7, but here we are...classic game 7.

The Rangers conjure the spirit of Mr. Messier to advance. Montreal vs. NY is probably going to be a barn burner as I didn't expect either team to win in the last round.

19. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

With the avs back in the playoffs (and now out) this was the first year in quite some time that I've followed NHL. But I'm still watching every night even with the Avs out. Has been a great playoffs thus far. I don't get the Kings at all, but pulling for them.

20. tim

tim Active Member

The Kings continued their clutch play in elimination games with a route over the Ducks in Game 7. Bring on Chicago.

And as much as I loathe the Ducks, :bow-yellow: to Teemu Selanne on a truly stellar career.