NFL - what's the infatuation?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Coog, Jul 31, 2008.

1. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

ToM, For me personally, Penn State and Nebraska have the classiest fans and fun game atmosphere (though memorial stadium crams way too many people in there). Georgia last year was probably one of the best times i've had at a game (tailgating, fans, stadium, game experience). LSU is one of those places I think everyone should experience at some point in their life. Texas A&M band and yell leaders, worth the experience. CU-Boulder, best scenery from a stadium (mtns, not women). Favorite Team: University of Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles.

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

A fair amount of my family lives in Omaha and I was brought up to be a Huskers fan from the beginning. I've only had the opportunity to see two games at Memorial Stadium and I was impressed. Never seen a city or state for that matter, rally around a sport like that. You're absolutely right about too many fans being crammed into the stadium. Lincoln actually becomes the 3rd largest city in Nebraska only on Saturdays after all.

3. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Guys - can't we all just get along?
    Not all soccer fans have to be Euro NFL-bashers as well.
    It makes us look as small-minded as the soccer bashers...
    There is room in my heart for both.
    Good grief.

4. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

there aren't too many real sports that I don't have a place for in my heart. Of course my wife thinks i have too much passion for sports and not enough for her. Maybe i should work on that.

5. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yeah, college football is as good as it gets in the U.S. as far as game day experience. I'm partial to LSU myself. Everyone should definitely see the Texas A&M Aggie band once in their life. They are quite something. Happy Valley is also a very cool place as well. Pretty much all SEC home game days are huge cultural event. We're talking about 200,000 people in and around a college campus for the day.

You went to USM?

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I wasn't offended by what you said, I just disagreed a little bit. And the Team of Carraghers reference was to drive the point home that not even the great Liverpool FC was founded until the 1890's which is about the time all major colleges had football teams. My alma mater's first season was in 1893 for example (unofficial games happened earlier), so just one year younger than the T of C.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

pointy football stops being interesting once it graduates from high school.

Sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned high school football. I promised myself never to bring up religion on a sports thread.

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Religion eh? For the past two years, my dad and I have setup temporary residence at Farris Stadium every Friday night in the fall. Not the best district, but it's right around the corner from the house.

Texas A&M (obvious bias here) is definitely a unique experience. I've always liked Rice too, but more for the MOB than the actual football experience. Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Legion Field in Bammer and the Swamp in Gainesville are all recommended for atmosphere.

As stadiums go, Floyd Casey in Waco must have been made for hobbits b/c at 6', I can't sit in the seats with my legs in front of me.

The biggest disappointment was Husky Stadium in Seattle. I've always seen it listed in top 10's but the atmosphere was very pedestrian. Great view though.

9. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I wonder who would've listed it in their top 10. It must have been awhile ago because college football in Washington has gone south and so has the vocal support. Now the Seahawks on the other hand. Qwest field is rockin when they play. You can hear the roar of the crowd from the freeways around the facility. The fans of the pro team are more passionate than those of the college teams. Kinda makes me sad. I believe college football is lightyears better than the NFL.

10. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

ianhux5, I think the fan thing mostly depends on where you live. I'm guessing the fans for Florida and Florida State are much more passionate about their schools than the Jags. High School and College Football in the South are religion, Pro's is just something to take a nap to after church and family dinner.

11. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Yeah I was referring to the state of Washington. I'm sure there are those that are more passionate about the college game but in WA there seem to be few of those.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and the reason why a 6-5 season is such a stress-producer in the Nebraska coaching job is that Husker football is the ONLY major sports team in the entire state. This may be the only major college team where this is true.

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

TSN had it in their preseason pub each year. I was up there from 98-03, so the first couple of those years. After the Neuheisel debacle, not so much. Seemed like a lot of hand-sitting until they'd start that incessant Who's House bit. Man that got old.

I had season tix for the Hawks through my company and was there when the new stadium opened. The atmosphere at Hawks games was far superior to UW.

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I went to grad school briefly at Colorado State, and for my money, Hughes Stadium was a beauty, a well kept secret, tucked right into the Rocky Mountains. Of course, the team sucks most years, but you have to take the bad w/ the good.

I also thought Husky Stadium was overrated, except for the view. I also didn't like the spoiled brat fans that scream how the quarterback can't play but they haven't worked up a sweat since the last time their wings were too hot, but that happens a lot in college.

15. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Maybe its just me but the upper decks at Husky Stadium look kind of prone to collapse. Its quite impressive.

16. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Like a lot of sports, I think football is a game you need to see live for things to "click" . . I was never much of a football fan, until I saw the Jets v. Bills last year, and became sort of a fanatic.

Truthfully, I tend to fall asleep through parts of football games when I watch it on TV, depending on the game. However I still love football.