NFL SUPERBOWL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by tonyb, Jan 29, 2009.

?

Who Wins the NFL Superbowl?

Poll closed Feb 3, 2009.
  1. Arizona Cardinals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Pittsburgh Steelers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Oh, and since this is supposed to be the Superbowl thread, rather than the chili thread, here's my question:

We're there any commercials worth watching?

2. IanHux

IanHux New Member

The only commercial I liked was the first bud lite one.... Other than that, it was a throwball game that bored me to tears until the last 5 or so minutes. And then the refs decided to not give the cards a chance and not at least review that so called "fumble". It probably wouldn't have made a difference but it still warranted a review. That pretty much ruined the entire superbowl experience for me..... Yeah, the game was retarded but what can I expect from the NFL nowadays?

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

INDEED it would be PUTRID!
    HOWEVER, no one I know in Ohio calls CC 'real chili'. It's called Cincinnati Chili!! period! How many times you want me to make the point?
    No... I'm -apparently- the only one you know who has the analytical skills and common sense to describe it as a 'sauce'. Which it is. Except that the entire entre is called 'Cincinnati Chili' I repeat again: and NEVER offered without naming it if someone wants CHILI!
    Where I'm from in ohio.. real Chili.. meaning the singular word.. is always thought of with a Texas bona fide. Someone says chili, they think SOMEHOW, of texas or at least the SW... never had a conversation otherwise.
    Nor would I necessarily expect you to. You know plenty of good locals and wouldnt have to search.
    Previously, you'd -properly- made fun of me when I wrote negatively about the Mexican I got at a white tablecloth restaurant on Riverwalk.

What I tried to do was refer OTHERS to a chain that IMO does a much better job than Don Pablo's or any of the other chains.

Actually out of Lubbock.. but who cares. Doesnt mean if wasnt from a good Mexican background. Seems a lot of folks try to emulate some of their recipes.. look it up.
    Well, there you have it. Don misses me.

- - - -- - - - - - - - - -

Superbowl ads are are available on Hulu.com

Friend of a friend made Doritos: Crystal Ball

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Great comeback by The Steelers after Arizona seriously made a run at the win. The aforementioned fumble was indeed just that. If reviewing it makes it any more or supposedly legitmizes it as a fumble, many of us have forgotten what sports is about.

That said, if Arizona can get better on defense (which I think they can, as they seem a bit young yet), I think another Super Bowl visit is not out of the Cards....;-)

5. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

From now on, I will refer to CC as Cincy Spahetti. Because that's what it is. A type of sauce on top of spaghetti pasta. Let's start the movement to rid the world of the sham being put on by Cincy. NO MORE CINCY CHILI!!!!!!! How much of the bailout can we put towards this?

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I do indeed miss you, 'fog. Thanks for the links!

7. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Association chili?

As for ads, Teleflora (talking box flowers) and Career Builder (where koala gets punched). The Doritos crystal ball ad wasn't bad either.

I've eaten at the restaurant Fog mentioned (there's one in College Station). As Tex-Mex chains go, it's one of the better ones. Still doesn't beat the authentic we get here in San Antonio, but we're lucky that way, eh Don?

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

we seriously are, Matt.

I've just wasted about 30 minutes watching commercials -- all of which were sponsored -- on the link 'fog provided. Here's my three faves:

1. Budwiser Clydesdale/Dalmatian stick chasing
    2. Mean Joe Green redux [I don't know who "Troy" is]
    3. USAMA Young [nothing to do with West Point, I guess].

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

My what a bunch of chili snobs we have here. Does sound like Steve knows something about making a good chili. However, if you are using anything more expensive than a cut of chuck roast, you are wasting your money. That's the whole point of chili - put lots of spices in and cook it for hours (mine is 6 to 8); not something you do to a nice cut of beef.

And if we're going to be snobs, I'll join in . . . Abuelos SUCKS! It's a chain! It's good for the first two months when the HQ management is on site setting up and training, but as soon as they leave, the quality goes downhill as fast as I can drink a dos equis. Even when it was new it was no more than an average tex-mex joint by Texas standards. You want good guacamole PF - two ripe calif. avacados, juice from half a lime, salt, 1 small clove garlic crushed, and [Tbsp minced onion and chopped tomato] or [Tbsp of a nice salsa]. Mash it all up, mix, and enjoy. Aint hard.

Oh and GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. pettyfog

Thanks for 'getting that point', anyway.

Chi-chi's is history for me except for their bottled salsa which is way better than Pace {unless you like stuffing cilantro up your nose}.. which is NOT to say that bottled salsa is better than Abuelo's table salsa. But a whole different thing.
    Remember, too, that Abuelo's probably started out as an 'authentic' tex mex restaurant in Lubbock.
    Don Pablo's is okay.. far as it goes, but it was really great to not be disappointed about anything served.

I could find 'authentic Mexican' around here, if I wanted. There's numerous small storefront Mexican Restaurants but that's like 'authentic chinese'... If you want Szechuan, {which most of us do} and you get 'Pekinese' you're not a happy diner.
    I'll wait for word of mouth on the authentic Mex.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

When I still had cause to travel to MN on business, I found a couple of good Mexican places [the local population was growing rapidly]. The thing was, you only wanted to eat breakfast or lunch their. At dinnertime, they took all the guts out of their food to make it palatable for the Lutefisk eaters.

12. pettyfog

Mo... since the Abuelos website hints there's variations according to location, I suggest you are seeing 'local effect'. Most NE Ohio denizens dont want anything spicy.. I've eaten in a few local spots and the food is, if anything, reminiscent of 'authentic Eastern European' which is to say... sorry!

If you get good food at a restaurant in NE Ohio that isnt really expensive, it's probably because the staff is 'imported. And I suggest it's as much due to the local hires as to the company or customers. I sometimes wonder if the local kitchen staff think anything with more taste than boiled cabbage is exotic.

I am disappointed that happens though. BTW, if I wanted to make it at home, I'd make it at home.

When we go out to eat pizza, we head out 20 miles to the one returning 'Godfather's' in the whole area. Because when they came back after local-whoring themselves into extinction, they reverted to something close to the original.

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I use noodles. I call it chili. And my brother, cousins, inlaws, and hangers-on vote that it is kick-ass chili.

I do separate the noodles from the chili. Not everyone goes for them. It's Ohio, so noodles are what I do, but not everyone agrees, so we make allowances.

Once I used steaks that I cut up into small pieces, I should have learned from Mo that ain't how it's done.

Mo, even if your taste in NFL teams is God-awful and NOT SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS! next time Fulham is on FSC we have to arrange something w/ your crew and mine.

Fitba can wait a little! Even the players and Woy take the odd day off. Heck, they probably couldn't even get around London today! No snowplows? My Ohio sensibilities chortle.

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

With all due respect to the integrity of this site and the posted rules, it is great fun to hijack an NFL thread to post about a bowl of red blessedness.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and if reading it means a brief visit with Audrey, I'm cool with that.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Still fighting computer problems, but shout out to Steve, congrats on number 6 in a truly great game with high drama. The wife sat in our staircase nicknamed "The Hole" (used for emergency good luck only) for the Steelers last drive (key play being Big Ben's scramble and throw on 1st and 20). Friends brought over a bottle of sake which needed after the game. Too busy getting people beers and doing other hosting duties to see many commercials (the ones I saw sucked).

The house is still decorated in black and gold for this week. Great party, great result, great game.