NFL SUPERBOWL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by tonyb, Jan 29, 2009.

?

Who Wins the NFL Superbowl?

Poll closed Feb 3, 2009.
  1. Arizona Cardinals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Pittsburgh Steelers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tonyb

tonyb New Member

Ok the superbowl is just days away and for us americans we all love american football as well as soccer. It is the Arizona Cardinals against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Who do u think wins? I say Arizona wins 17 to 14. What do u think? Or do u think it will end in a tie and have multiple overtimes and end up into a mini series on fox. if u think it will end up in a tie just write it in the reply to this topic.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think that ALL Americans don't love American football. The only important thing that happened last Superbowl Sunday was that we beat Aston Villa.

You need a third option, tonyb: "a tie after multiple overtimes resulting in the SuperBowl becoming a mini-series on FoxTV."

I'd vote for that one.

3. Bradical

Bradical Member

I think it will be a low scoring affair as well. Pittsburg's D nets a safety and a defensive TD, and a pick of Warner at the end to seal it.

Pitt 16
    Ariz 13

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

A few predictions:

1) My bro will throw a great Super Bowl Party.

2) Don will still not have any of my O-H-I-O kick ass chili.

3) It will go on too long.

4) I will watch The Boss at halftime -- my song set pick -- Born to Run, The Wrestler, Glory Days, and a cover song.

5) The Steelers will emerge victorious (I hope). And there will be much rejoicing in the casa de Steve (and not a mention of it on my blog -- the round football is the kind I can sound reasonably intelligent about).

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I voted for the Cardinals to teach Steve a lesson - he really shouldnt live around here and be a Steelers fan. Enjoy your chilli though.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

And I'm raising Ben to be a Steelers fan too. Imagine, another obnoxious Steeler fan in NE OH.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!! I HAD A HEART ATTACK!!!

WHAT A GREAT GAME!!!! STEELERS WIN!!! STEELERS WIN!!!!

Congrats Big Ben, Santonio Holmes, and the Black and Gold Nation, of which I am a proud member.

Mo, thanks for your support. I'll tell you the same thing I tell my students.

Don't hate me.

CONGRATULATE ME!!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!

SCJ, Hope your wife is celebrating tonight!!!

8. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Damn shame, that's what that was.......Congrats Steve. It will be awhile before my Niners take back the most Superbowls won mantle so enjoy it.......for awhile. :wink:

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

That was pretty much a slog of a game until the 4th quarter, but what an ending. Having no dog in the hunt, we did get some excitement courtesy of that great American pasttime, the Super Bowl squares. My sis had 7-7 so when Harrison took off with that pick to end the 2nd, the whole house erupted. Crazy play, crazy cheering at our place.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Congrats to EVERYONE involved in this SuperBowl game.
    It WAS one of the best I remember.

SUPERBowl Big Game Givens:
    If Big Ben is playing, it's gonna be good.

If Kurt Warner is playing, it's at least gonna be interesting

Another case of my hunches proving out and me getting nothing from it.

7 points was a ridiculous spread for anyone who watches trends instead of stats.. hopefully a few Cardinals fans cleaned up.
    Problem being that you'd have to drop a locomotive on any sports bar outside AZ if you wanted to hit a Cards fan.

So, given only the WIN counts in the end, kudos to Santonio H of THE Ohio State University, and Ben R of THE Miami University (of OH) on this signature win for the people of Pittsburgh and the state of Pennsylvania.

Typical HT show with the Boss... raves from the Springsteen lemmings. Sorry... last decent HT music probably involved Whitney Houston. Doesnt matter WHO the artist is, it's a joke.

'kickass chili' in NE Ohio?!!!!!!!! What's that... a variation of the New Jersey Recipe {boiled hamburger - with dash of chili powder}? I give Steve credit it COULD be much better than anything to be found in local eateries but that could STILL put it in the 'starter stock' category for real chili lovers.

Speaking of which... watched first half at 'Mexican' restaurant in Dayton area with REAL quality food..
    One of the Abuelo's chain. Upscale prices but upscale taste. Both spicy AND flavor nuanced. And the in-house guacamole IS indeed excellent.
    - Seriously, even if you dont care for guacamole.. try it!!!!
    - also the Papas con Chile {potato} side dish is excellent
    Recommend 'Abuelo's' wherever you find one.

Yeh.. there's even one in Cleveland

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Damn right there are raves from the Springsteeners! That was excellent.

I say again: you can hate, or you can congratulate.

Fog (and Don), of COURSE my grub is better than the New Jersey recipe and anything you'll find in a grocery store. You take the best stew beef, not ground. NEVER ground beef -- that's for burgers. I like to cut it up just a smidge smaller, into bite sized chunks, usually stew beef is a little too large. So, that's 5 plus pounds of beef ready to go, marinated in 24 oz. of beer overnight Then dice the onions, I used 3 large ones, and I don't know how many garlic cloves. Make 2 pots, one hot and one mild. The hot should be hot enough to put some sweat on the brow and still be fun to eat, not like sucking on a bottle of nuclear waste.

Beans are a point of contention between Mrs SteveM19 and myself, I say never, she says definitely. I compromise by putting black beans in the pot of mild chili.

I could go on, but the rest is classified information.

There's one in Warrensville Hts in NE OH, I'll have to check it out.

Alos, my brother put 5 bucks at 12-1 odds on Santonio Holmes being named the MVP. He was quite pleased.

12. pettyfog

heh... I defer to Steve on the chili point. Looks like he indeed does it the right way. Even my Mrs uses ground beef. Her extra ingredients ALSO include various beans.. dammit!
    However.. even with those two no-no's it is excellent spicy. Especially after simmering six hours THEN chilling for a couple days in the frig. Anyone else notice that? Somehow makes the flavors combine and fortify into something sublime. Oh.. and you DONT TASTE THE BEANS!

On the test point of 'just-right hot' being sweat on brow.. trouble is that is subjective as well. OTC burritos at Taco Bell do that to some who have no experience.
    suggest reread my bit on Abuelos. also a search reveals numerous req for copycat recipe's for Abuelos' dishes.. that's a good thing.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Steve, the chili sounds correct -- especially since there's no mention anywhere of canned Franco-American spaghetti being part of the recipe. Glad you haven't contacted that Ohio disease.

14. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Not so fast...here in St. Louis, there are still fans from the old days, pre-1988, when the Cards were OUR NFL team. And Kurt Warner is hugely popular here.

15. pettyfog

That's bullshit! MORE putting facts not in evidence anywhere just to make a misdirected point.

GIVEN Cincinnati Chili is no relative of 'Real Chili', but rather a 'sauce'... it's called 'chili' because there's nothing better to relate it to. But then, it's never referred to as 'Chili' it's called Cincinnati Chili, isnt it..It's like nothing else.
    Get that, Don? No one says they are 'making or serving chili' then provides Cincinnati version. Never freaking happens!
    Suggesting laying it on anything but fresh prepared pasta -or a high end frankfurter- is oafish and not supported by evidence, anywhere.

Skyline version, btw, being a 'pretender'*: all tongue spice, no bouquet.

Sadly or maybe fortunately the BEST tasting CC SAUCE, outside of a few Greek family restaurants in Cincy, is available in a can.
    Cincinnati Recipe brand

..and even the same company's 'packet - you add the beef' comes not even close. Make the packet, then try the can version.... amazing the difference. I think they leave SOMETHING OUT.

And Don.. you know what.. you really know how to push my buttons. After writing the FIRST fisk, I was thinking I should send Don a couple cans of the real stuff. NOW I'm so pissed off, I will need a direct and sincere apology for his misdirecting cut. OTHERWISE, SUFFER!!! You will NEVER have the unique experience on my account!

Twit! :)

* To put a point on Skyline 'pretending', search "mexican dayton" and note they show up.

16. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

[quote="pettyfog

GIVEN Cincinnati Chili is no relative of 'Real Chili', but rather a 'sauce'... it's called 'chili' because there's nothing better to relate it to.
    quote]

Then maybe you should figure out something to call it. but for the rest of us, it's spaghetti with a weird sauce. Chili and pasta. ridiculous. I have to agree with Don on this one.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks, dtwon; that's now TWO beers I owe you!

18. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Skyline on pasta realy is not that bad.

19. pettyfog

A. And neither is Hormel chili from the can. my points remain. 'Reminds you of the real thing'.

DTWONDOUGH... based on WHAT? Don's talking points.. or that he successfully yanked my chain?

Cause that's what his motive was. Note it came AFTER I gave indirect kudos to texas cuisine and applauded loudly a texas based restaurant chain.

And 'renaming it comes from the same mindset as we should rename anerican football, so that we could call soccer football.
    Tough shit!
    Once something enters the culture it's set, as long as it doesnt mis-represent, and anyone suggests otherwise is too f***king dum to be allowed out alone.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

damn; I wasn't even thinking of Pettyfog when I posted that remark about spaghetti. That was a follow-up to a similar bit of elbowing at the turn from Steve in the past. My brain was nowhere near 'fog's chain.

But as long as you've brought it up, I have suffered through "real" chili Ohio style in the past. My oldest friend is from Ohio and likes to torture his Texas friends by going on and on about how wonderful it is and how it is only at it's best when the spaghetti is canned Franco-American. It's putrid

Two observations about your over-excited posts on this thread:

1. you are the ONLY person from Ohio I've ever heard who calls it a "sauce" rather than chili.

2. I might have responded to the Mexican restaurant chain from Texas IF I'D EVER EATEN THERE OR EVER EVEN HEARD OF IT. It's probably based out of Dallas or something.

I haven't seen you that riled out since our recently retired president announced his opposition to draconian sentences for illegal aliens.

Back to fitba!