NFL Preseason Playoff prognostications

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jul 1, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

ESPN SportCenter has been doing depth analysis on the NFL teams for the last few...

And there's enough smarts shown on it, but the individual rankings per team dont translate to playoffs.

Example is the Chiefs are picked (wild card) while Bengals rank 9th in depth but dont make playoff brackets because of Pittsburgh and Baltimore (McNair, the Lewises) and unknown factors of Palmer and Pass/Run defense.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Those guys on ESPN are clowns. Especially Golic. ESPN knows that the NFL sells and that is why they have devoted so much time to the white-trash of America that get amped up for that crap some three months before a meaningless pass in the NFL.

Petty, the Bengals are going to make the playoffs. The Ravens will still suck. That is all there is to it.

3. pettyfog

Oh... they picked Bears among the top of something.. they're in the NFC brackets.

Eh... I like Golic on M&M.. like Balboa, he sometimes spouts crap, but he's entertaining at the least.

Chris Spielman (Buffalo, Buckeyes) does about same job on the Cols sport station but he is worse in the ALT sports... like he blows on about Football, Indians, and Bluejackets but has no kind word for Crew or any soccer.
    - - -- --
    And yeah, the Ravens might suck again. I think {hope, anyway} Brian Billick has lost it..

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: NFL Preseason Playoff prognostications

I just get tired of Golic ranting on and on about how many donuts he ate that morning and all that stuff. He definitely has knowledge of football and for that I give him credit. I just think it is crazy they have dedicated so much SportsCenter time to the NFL in late June.

As for radio guys spewing on about sports they have no knowledge about Chicago is full of those. Doug Buffone and Mike Murphy are a few that come to mind. They try to rant about the Bulls or in Murphy's case, the Bears and he has no clue what is he on about. I guess that is sports radio though.

Petty, you and I should start a show!! What do you think?

5. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: NFL Preseason Playoff prognostications

Yeah... I know!...we can use my Dad's Barn! { movie quote: Judy Garland:Love Finds Andy Hardy (1938)}

And call it Dum and Dummer!

6. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I think Detroit looks to be the big surprise... no playoffs, but a huge turnaround.

I think the Cards will do something similar, but less surprising.

I think its the Cowboys vs. Steelers come the big game.

7. tibor

tibor New Member

I'd wager more money on the Cowboys self-destructing than getting to the SuperBowl with TO on their team. Just my 2cents.

8. DCDave

DCDave Member

The NFL?

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: NFL Preseason Playoff prognostications

In a league that prides itself on parity, is anything surprising in the NFL anymore?

I will not start paying attention to this league until the regular season starts. Even though, it takes a back seat to soccer and college football.

10. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NFL Preseason Playoff prognostications

I am a Browns fan and I know their is alot of Ohio guys on this board, how do you think they will do this year? Cleveland just lost LeCharles Bentley for the season, so the Browns bad luck continues.

11. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Isn't he (Bentley) the guy we signed in the offseason? Either way, it's a horrible break for him and the squad. Again.

12. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Yes thats the guy and two years ago Bentley was an All-Pro.

13. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

New England 41, Washington 0 :shock:
    enough said :wink:
    Mike, Mike, give us a song!!

14. pettyfog

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NFL Preseason Playoff prognosticatio

Bengals 48 Green Bay somethin
    ... ahem.

Palmer is BACK.. and with a backup QB {Anthony Wright} that is almost as good; so knocking Palmer out of the game might get some poor opponents' asses REALLY kicked!.

Sorry... I wish the Browns well {they have a great owner and fan following}, but I live in SE Ohio and grew up in the 50's as a Browns fan.

Thus I am a Bengals fan as would be ANY follower of the Browns in that age with a brain.... {remember Modell hinted what he thought of everyone else in the sixties.}

And oh yeah... Sorry, only two teams from the AFC North can make the playoffs... so it's all up to your Brownies to win the wild card, that means you have to at least beat the Steelers twice.

Oh, Boy... how is Washington so BAD?!!!!! I thought it was maybe a fluke when the Bengals dismantled 'em. Only factor made me wonder then was the sidenote stats... Bengals didnt make many mistakes.

I'll call it right now... NE and Bengals in the AFC Championship.

Colts? Think 'The Manning Curse' .. you'll start hearing that sometime in the next years.

15. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Enjoy it now VB, it WON'T last!!!

Lets go Redskins!

16. pettyfog

That's a good fan!
    heh.... :3d crying:

- - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - -

While I'm still in ectasy mode.. a little MORE crowing:

When the Bengal opponents' QB throws the ball downfield, EVERYONE there is a receiver.

Look at the takeaway ratios. And look at yards gained on pick/fumble returns.
    It aint a fluke.. it's high time someone took advantage of the contrary premise to 'playing by the book'; wherein the defensive coordinator tells the CB's and safeties to just stifle the wideouts because it's too risky to go for the ball.

The BEST offense is a good defense. Teh BEST defense is one that you count on to get you TD's and field position.

17. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I watched last nights game and Tony Kornheiser is awful.

18. pettyfog

Yep... MNF moved to NBC Sunday Nite.

Sorry Disney

19. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

ESPN now has MNL.

20. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NFL Preseason Playoff prognosticatio

I was so happy with the result of this game. Not that I'm a Bengals fan, I just don't like the Packers.