NFL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Jan 9, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Broncos v Pats
    Texans v Ravens
    NYG v Packers
    Saints v 49ers

I'm going to pick the Pats over the Broncos. Even though the Pats defense is pretty weak, I just don't see them losing at home with a week's rest to Teebow mania. I don't like the Texan v Raven match-up, but hope it will be an exciting game. Hopefully the Texans win. Can the Ravens have uglier uniforms?

Giants beating the Packers at home? Unlikely. But the Saints at the 49ers should be interesting. I guess I'll have to give the edge to the Saints, because of Brees and the playoff experience the team has.

Any predictions from youse guys?

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Broncos at Pats; Dark day in this household yesterday as mi esposa's favorite team got Tebowed. However, the Steelers were missing 10 of their 22 starters and had a QB trying to play on one leg. As long as the Pats handle Denver's excellent pass rush this should be a double digit win.

Texans at Ravens; Houston w/their best defensive player (Mario Williams) and starting QB (Matt Schuab) are the BEST team in the AFC. However, both are missing and starting their 3rd string rookie QB will not get it done in Baltimore.

Saints at 49ers; Pulling for New Orleans and everyone will be riding them this week, but Detroit had some chances to pick off Brees and dropped them. The Saints aren't near as good on the road as they are in the Superdome. I'll stick with them, but would not be surprised to see the Niners take them down.

Giants at Packers; The Champs are home with an week of rest and trying to get some injured guys back. The Giants look like they are peaking at the right time (kind of like the Pack last year), have a D line that will get after Rodgers. The first time they played went down to the wire and expect that again. Pack to squeak by.

3. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Broncos v Pats

Gotta go with the Pats here. Don't get me wrong, watching Tebow beat my most hated NFL team was a ton of fun, I just think his magic runs out. I'll be rooting for the upset though.

Texans v Ravens

Another team I despise in the Ravens but without a QB, I don't think the Texans can get it done. Besides, with how much Flacco has been whining about being disrespected, you've got to assume he'll be determined. Once again, I'll be rooting for the upset.

NYG v Packers

This matchup is going to be a lot harder for the Packers than it would have been a few weeks ago. The Giants are playing some great football. With that being said, I'm not sure Manning cant keep up with the Packers offense. If the Giants can get to the QB though, it could be a different story. Really looking forward to it.

Saints v 49ers

Another incredible matchup. I'll be rooting for the 49ers but this one could really go either way. Difference might be the QB play of Brees.

4. SoCalJoe

Was at had bbq hosted by a big Niner fan. What a fantastic game and Alex Smith answered alot of detractors, even all the Niner fans that have wanted him gone for years had to give him some credit. The 5 Turnovers really did the Saints in (especially the 2 that came on returns and set the Niners up)

Pats had an easy time of it. Maybe now people will get off all the polarizing stuff about Tebow and judge him as a QB, and bottom line is he's a far below average passer (and that's being kind) in a passing league.

Halftime of the Houston game and Arian Foster is showcasing his talent and keeping the Texans in it.

Can't wait for the Giants and Pack game. Lambeau Field, Rodgers v Eli, should be a good one.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, I got AFC right but not the NFC.

Wow, I can't believe what I just saw at Lambeau field. Turnovers and missed catches cost the Packers their first home game loss since 2010. Every time I want to write Eli Manning off he turns in a good performance.

Now it's the Ravens v Pats and Giants v 49ers. I see the Pats getting revenge against the Ravens. The Pats D played really well, best I've seen from them all year. And Brady has that "kill" look in his eyes again.

Giants v 49ers. Tough call. Can Giants win on the road again? Can Alex Smith make it to the Super Bowl? I'll pick the Giants, although I would prefer the 49ers winning.

6. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

I need to start betting on games as I got all 4 right. In fact, I thought the Giants would blow out the Packers. They are on a roll and are going to win the super bowl against the Patriots.

7. SoCalJoe

If you had just told me the 37-20 score, I would have bet the farm it was the Pack w/the 37. Giants D did a great job in getting Green Bay out of rhythm. The Pack dropped passes and Rodgers missed some that they haven't all year. The Hail Mary at the end of the first half was a killer, but the Packers coach made a couple mystifying calls (the onside kick when it was tied 10-10 that didn't work, and the 4th down call down by 7 w/13 minutes left). Even though he plays in New York, Eli might be the most underrated player in the NFL. He is a stoned cold killer, but because he looks goofy, talks goofy, and isn't his brother, he gets downgraded.

The 49ers and Giants played a great game earlier this season that the Niners won. Should be another close game, but as long as the Giants don't turnover the ball 5 times like the Saints did they should advance.

Ravens were so lucky a 3rd string rookie was playing QB otherwise Houston wins that game. Flacco is whining about respect, but he played awful and better step up next week for them to even have a chance. Still have no faith in the Pats D (don't let them looking good against a crappy Broncos offensive fool you), but the O is so good that I can't see them losing to Baltimore.

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

[​IMG]

I'll give you stoned. Not sure about the killer part.

Agreed about Flacco, he will need to step it up. Because the Pats D played the best I've seen them against the run last week. And with Ed Reed hobbling at the end of their game, Brady might be able to put some more gaudy numbers with him either out or not 100%.

9. SoCalJoe

Lol, then he starts talking and you think there is no way you'd want this goofball leading your team. However, the nerd can hit a fly on a moving bull's arse from 40 yards away.

10. SoCalJoe

Some good sound bites in the media week.

Ed Reed calling out his own QB, saying 'he looked rattled" and "didn't have a grasp of the offense". Notice that the only guys to be quoted coming to Flacco's aid were the other stars on DEFENSE (Lewis and Suggs). You think maybe Boldin or Rice would say something, but it tells you who owns that locker room.

Victor Cruz of the Giants saying that his team is glad the 49ers won because they will have an easier game than if they played the Saints, it's called bulletin board material Vic :doh:

Niner great Jerry Rice called out Giants RB Brandon Jacobs for 'being soft'. Again, Jerry I know your getting paid to express your opinion, but not the best choice of words.

Biggest news of the week is the weather in San Francisco is calling for rain on Sunday, so that could be a big factor in the kicking game.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/ ... ue/9458798
    :roll:

I'm just hoping for a Patriots win by a sizable margin. And a close exciting game between the 49ers and Giants.

I'm still going with my picks, it'll be the Patriots and Giant in the Superbowl.

12. MisterF

MisterF New Member

I'm rooting for that Super Bowl matchup as well. The Pats/Giants Superbowl from a few years ago is still probably the best I've ever seen so I would love to see a rematch.

As long as the Ratbirds don't win, I'll be happy.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, the killer Brady didn't show. But the Ravens choked anyway.

Pats in the Superbowl!!!!!!! :clap:

:banana-linedance: :banana-linedance: :banana-linedance:

14. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Yep! It was a beautiful thing! Flacco will be crying himself to sleep.

Both of these championship games today have been all-out battles. I'm loving it.

15. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Ditto

16. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Is it me of did Flacco look like White Goodman from Dodgeball?

17. MisterF

MisterF New Member

haha you're right! Not really a good look for him.

18. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Awesome! The rematch is set. Should be one hell of a game. Pats definitely won't be the heavy favorites this time around. Should be pretty evenly matched.

19. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

I thought my Giants prediction was not gonna happen, but the punt returner saved the day. What's so stupid is that Coughlin kept running the ball risking the possibility of a turnover. I guess he's a genius because they didn't turn the ball over.

The Giants really need to get the big plays going again to beat the Patriots. The Patriots defense made Flacco look good so that shouldn't be a problem.

20. SoCalJoe

2 great games, the conference title games are by far my favorite day of the NFL every year. The Super Bowl is about hanging out w/friends, commercials, ripping the halftime show (Madonna is next on the chopping block), with the game just being a part of the day. Yesterday was about football, the atmosphere of the home stadium, and the tension.

Not sure who is the sicker person, Lee Evans for not securing the ball for the game winner or Billy Cundiff for hitting the kick like one of my tee shots (duck hook). The Pats D stepped up and bent, but did not break. Brady missed some passes, and clearly was not at his best (give credit to Baltimore and their defense). Flacco's fu manchu had something to do w/a lost bet. To his credit, he was very sharp.

Eli got absolutely pummeled, but kept going. One attribute that is underrated for quarterbacks is toughness, and little Manning has it. Biggest factor no one is mentioning; the poor kid Williams ISN"T the normal punt returner. Ted Ginn is, but injury kept him out and put Williams in. Justin, Tynes almost missed an extra point and a short field goal, so I'm sure Coughlin wanted to get him as close as possible in that bad weather, hence the extra rushes.