NFL Playoff Predictions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Jan 9, 2008.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

For NFL fans the next 2 weeks are where you usually find the great games (not the first sunday of Feb.) Lets have your picks.

Sat. Seahawks at Packers. I've been a Hawks fan since their inception (and only took 30 years to get to a Superbowl), so my heart says Hawks, but the smart pick is the Pack. KEY; which qb makes the big mistake (both are the gunslinger type and prone to the occasional bad int.)

Jags at Pats. The Jags pass defense got exposed vs Pittsburgh, what will Brady do to them (weather permitting)? Can't pick against 16-0.

Sun. Chargers at Colts. Never has the defending champ gone 13-3 quieter. San Diego has played the Colts tough over recent years, but no Antonio Gates spells doom for the Lightening Bolts.

Giants at Cowgirls. The Giants have been team pyscho (8-1 on the road, 3-5 at home), absolutely hate Dallas, and they've looked vulnerable late in the season, but the bye week rest will give them just enough (quick some New York fan needs to get Jessica Simpson a seat) I'm afraid.

2. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I'll go with:

Packers over Seahawks
    (Brett Farve is crazy)

Pats over Jags
    (This is an interesting one... I think bad weather plays well for the Jags... but I dont think they'll win, maybe just keep it close)

Colts over Chargers
    (SoCal said it, no Gates no win... the bolts look ok... but not good enough to beat the colts)

Giants over Dallas
    (TO will play; but I think the running game will be a key, Eli, apparently a winner once, might be able to get streak going.)

I think they are all worth watching, which is why we all love Playoff football.

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

good break down Joe...

Pack
    Cowboys
    Pats
    Colts

should be some good games

4. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Pack
    Pats
    Colts
    Cowboys

Hate picking all home teams and relly hope Giants can take it to Dallas so Green Bay would be able to host Giants for NFC Championship.

5. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

Packers v Hawks
    (Brett Farve is crazy)
    BrettPack by 7

Patriots v Jags
    Heart says Pat's Head says Pat's. Cant really see anything then a Patriots victory. Plus the NFL (in thier wisdom) have made this game the late one on Saturday. How effective will Garrard be in the cold New England night?
    Patriots by 10

Colts v Bolts
    Rivers is a twat! i would love to see Payton trash talk Rivers from the sideline after a predicted Colts victory. What doe's the Colts offensive coach say, 'yer nice call Payton'. The Chargers have played well leading up to this game but if they cant get thier running game going its over for the Bolts.
    Colts by 10

Dallas v Giants
    Romo's better then Eli, get in Eli's face and confuse him and he becomes ..well....confused, plus home field advantage.
    Dallas by 7.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Though the Jags have done remarkably well in cold weather, this year, I find no reason to argue wit' the Brit! Got a Tivo, VB?

7. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

Only VHS.....im part German part prehistoric :oops:

8. psand22

psand22 Member

It should be a great weekend for the NFL and all of us viewers. VB, I like how you've stepped out and even called the winning margins. I think in these 4 games we're gonna have a field goal winning some of these.

I haven't checked the weather for some of these games, but there's gonna be some kickers having to win it.

-Packers will win by 4 and a solid run game.
    -Cowboys will win on Folk's game winning kick.
    -Rivers and LT will give San Diego a chance, but Manning will put the game away late by 10.
    -I'm looking for Jones-Drew and Taylor to run well and keep the ball out of Brady's hands and take a 3 point win.

9. SoCalJoe

Quick recap and early predictions;

NFC; Pack whip Seahawks :cry: total thrashing in the snow.

Giants over Cowboys; made T.O :cry: Who would have thought Eli would be the last Manning standing?

AFC; Pats over Jags. The Jags played great, but as soon as you score a field goal and not a touchdown vs the Pats, you are toast.

Bolts over Colts; turnovers in the redzone were killers and the Chargers played w/a ton of heart in spite of injury after injury.

This Week:
    Packers over Giants; hard to pick against the "Road Warriors", but Favre won't let this opportunity slip by.

Pats over Chargers; Who's left to play for the Bolts?? Their training staff will earn their checks this week in trying to get everyone ready, but the Pats will be 18-0 after Sun.

10. psand22

psand22 Member

It's gonna be hard to bet against the favorites in these games. The pack will be hard to beat on the frozen tundra, but those damn Giants keep winning.
    I think the luck will run out for Eli and the G-Men. Pack by 4.

With everyone hurt. It will be very hard for the Bolts to beat the Pats, unless Brady gets injured on the way to the stadium. And no, I will not be in the Boston area this weekend. I'll be pulling hard for the Chargers. They'll show more heart and fall just short. Pats by 10.

11. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I think this week is a GREAT week.

I'll pick the Gmen again. Just for fun. The Giants have the more well rounded team, but I dont think that Eli can beat the Legend. Especially at home. Only Mike Vick has done that... The Giants secondary... and Eli's ability to throw in the cold is going to decide this game.

I'll take the chargers too, JUST for fun... undefeated records when you have the Jets and the Dolphins in your division doesnt mean much to me. The Giants did a great job against them and Chargers believe in them selves... keep in mind they beat "the SuperBowl Champs" Realistically, Rivers and LT need to play, the defense needs to play well, turnovers need to happen.

I'm extremely confident ONE of these two games will end up in upset. I hope its the Giants game...

I may not be a Giants fan... but I am a HOMER.

12. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I'd love to agree with you, since I hate the Patriots (and have for years...I'm a Jets fan), but the Pats have beaten practically every relevant team in the NFL this season: the Chargers (by 24), the Giants (in Giants Stadium), the Colts (in Indy with the Colts getting every call), the Cowboys (by 21 in Dallas), the Redskins (by 45), the Steelers (by 21), the Jaguars (in the playoffs). Pretty much the only good team they haven't beaten this year is Green Bay, which they will in two weeks.

The Patriots are the best football team I've ever seen.

(And if you don't think I'm trying to reverse-jinx them here, you're crazy)

13. SoCalJoe

From the early forecasts the certain winner is going to be Mother Nature. It looks to be especially brutal at Lambeau (5 degrees w/wind chill well below zero)...cue the John Facienda voice 'Lambeau field, the frozen tundra, speaks of duels in the snow and cold winter night'

I'm sure there will be a few idiot talk-show hosts rant about the need for a neutral site, warm weather or dome stadium set-up, but we already have a boring game in which no one has a home field advantage..its called the Superbowl.

14. EricD

EricD New Member

I am pulling for the Pack. Brett Favre is that All-American guy that pretty much every football fan likes. I think he is great. To think the Falcons had this guy on the roster, but traded him away because Glanville did not like him. Giants are playing tough on the road, but I think the Pack will be harder to overcome than what they were up against in Dallas. The Pack has a lot of confidence coming into this game especially with the performace last week in that weather.

I would like to see the Bolts win, but the Pats are just too solid at every position. If you shut down one option, Brady exposes the opposition defense with two other options. Although, I like Billy Volek at QB for the Chargers. I know Rivers had a nice game last week, but in my opinion he has become sort of a punk with the trash talk. I liked the way Volek played a couple of years ago with the Titans. He can air it out.

The Patriots and the Packers in the Super Bowl.

15. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Gmen vs the Pats

I looks like its going to be a rematch of the last week of the season.

Tom Brady has been seen with a walking cast on and the Giants are on a tear.

Predictions, score?

I wonder what the odds are, I'd pick the giants for anything over 2 - 1.

16. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

I can't believe the giants are in he superbowl. Eli Manning has been ripped apart by the new york media for so long and now he is being treated like a hero.

17. psand22

psand22 Member

Yea, it's hard to believe they have won 9-10 road games in a row and whats going to make us think they can't win one more. Hopefully, Eli and Coach Coughlin won't put much stock in their hero status at this time...fame for these Giants only go as far as their last game. All it will take is one bad game, for them to fall from the penthouse to the dog house.

This should be a great game with the undefeated Pats and the streaking Giants.
    Whose gonna hang on to their mojo....The Patriots (31-27). So take the points.

18. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If there was ever a time I wouldnt bet the spread, I think this is it.

The Giants either win or get blown out. Or is that what you mean?

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

do you mean that people actually bet on NFL games? Hmmm; who knew?

Every season for the past few years, the entire Tim and Bob Show get together at one house or the other for a SuperBowl party that includes great food, excellent wine, and a little music -- of course -- all leading up to the football game. Now, in previous years we've ignored the action on the field and only really paid attention to the commercials. This year, however, things will be different.

Seems my partner is a huge fan of the Giants, and I have been a huge fan of the Manning who doesn't get commercials since his college days -- he reminded me sooooo much of his father. So, we'll be watching the game a lot more than usual. Hmmm, commercials AND game -- whenever will we go to the john?

Now, as many of you know, I don't really give a flip about pointy football -- it is an abomination before the HatterDon -- but it occurs to me that New England's front office and Bellichek [or however you spell that name] deserve some recognition. The NFL is all about parity [or parody -- Thanks T-of-Mc], and successful teams are punished not only by draft position but by strength of schedule. It had seemed clear that we wouldn't have any team asserting itself as Super Bowl contenders year after year. Because of astute trading and the curious ability to get two or three more effective years out of their veterans -- and some seriously adept coaching -- New England has messed up the master plan.

I say the following as a huge fan of the San Antonio Spurs: If any franchise today has the right to call itself a dynasty, it is the Patriots. What they're doing the last few seasons trumps what the Yankees did in the 40s and 50s, the Packers during the 50s and 60s, and the Celtics did during the same period.

Having said all that, GO GIANTS! Win one for your home state of New Jersey!

20. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

I'm really torn on this one. Tired of all the Patriot garbage but I think I'm more tired of listening to Shula and the other Dolphins every time someone is undefeated. I mean really, were they that good of a team? I don't think so. So part of me wants that Pats to win to end all that talk. The other part wants the Giants to win because of Eli and becaus Tikki was such an ass after he left last season. In the end, it will be a game time decision.