NFL: outlook

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Aug 28, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Amazing that last year at this time I was all enthused about the new season... how the Bengals would do, the chances of the Patriots staying on-track to "dynasty".

This year, despite Bengals being markedly more mature and better... the Pats are obviously AT dynasty level.. and I just feel 'ho-hum'

Even fell asleep during Colts Broncos last night, though I WAS interested in the outcome, I havent even looked it up.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Looks like my Bears are gonna go with the rookie Kyle Orton. I am quite excited about that!!!

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I was surprised they released Krenzel, I have no idea what the Bengals are going to do with him.

4. Jux

Jux New Member

Benson just ended his hold-out too. If he can pick up the playbook quickly, the Bears should be able to start moving the ball more consistently.

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Hail to the REDSKINS
    Hail Victory!
    Fighting on the warpath,
    Fighting for ol' DC, GO REDSKINS!!

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

UGH!!! Now, how does a New Yorker root for that football team in DC?

7. americanmike

Wait?! Don't you live near DC Ms. Heather?

Anywho, where I grew up on Long Island, there were two families who moved up from DC becauase of a near by company had asked them to relocate. I become very good friends with the kids at a young age and got hooked on the Redskins. I figured that makes more sense than a very American, 'American', rooting for a small club in SW6?

And who do you root for?

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Patriots...I may live near DC, but I'm not a native. I had to put up with torments from "that team in DC" fans for years, they won Superbowls left and right, while my Patsies were the epitome of loserdome. So, I hold a grudge against "that team in DC." And I try to show how gracious fans behave by not rubbing my teams victories into others faces, especially while their team is going through a losing period--but sometimes I fail miserably. :twisted:

9. americanmike

Are you American born or an ex-pat?

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

American born...my father was in the navy, so I've traveled a bit.

11. americanmike

Gotcha!! Well, whatever anguish you dealt with because of my beloved Redskins, it seems that karma has taken shape and you are being paid back ten fold!!

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Mike, the Bears are gonna smoke the Redskins in Week 1 in DC. Orton is gonna shred that Redskin defense apart and lead the Bears to an opening day win!!!

13. americanmike

There are two reasons why this will not happen:

LaVAR ARRINGTON
    CLINTON PORTIS

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Arrington is a baller...IF....he stays healthy.
    Portis is good, but I have faith in the Bears D to stop him.

15. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Lavar Arrington is the most overrated piece of garbage since...well since nam, since its American Mike.

I'm with Heather on this, I get such pleasure in listening to skins fans rant on sports radio down here. They're talking about how Gibbs is going to take them to the playoffs this year, haha. They build themselves up so much every year, which makes the fall so much more enjoyable to me.

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It's the same every year. I can't help but laugh, it's the only sports team that everyone in the DC area gets all giddy about every preseason--but their hearts have been crushed every year since '95 or so. They keep setting themselves up for the big fall. :D

17. americanmike

Its all about the Jack Kent Cooke Curse.

Ever since that little mama's boy, Snyder took over, we've been crap no matter how much money he puts into the team. I only started following the team again, at the end of last year.

When I was in Junior High, I used to love players like Joe Jacoby, Art Monk, Ricky Sanders, Gary Clark, Earnest Byner, Mark Rypien, etc. etc. etc.

18. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

God help us if they ever put together a winning season, we'll never hear the end of it.

19. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Portis looked great in Denver because... well, it's Denver... you could put Petty back there and he'd run for 1,500 yards in a season...

Portis' limitations were shown when he got put into the 'Skins 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense and his Yards per Carry went WAY down... He's not a strong back, just a slash-and-burn-get-lucky-on-an-80-yard-touchdown-run back... And at U of Miami, that was an easy way to get noticed because you had pseudo-NFL lineman clearing the way over the patsy Big East D-lines...

Can anyone tell that I drafted Portis for FFL last year and got hosed? I'm not bitter or anything...

And to continue on with the other thought in the thread... the 'Skins suck... when they were here in Minneapolis for the Super Bowl against the Bills way back when, they're fans were total jerk-offs...

20. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Mike

Just wanted to point out that my third squad is better than your third squad.

and Jeremy's point about the Superbowl. Theisman said that Minneapolis was the worst host city for the superbowl he'd ever experienced during the broadcast. So i guess your feelings for the redskins is mutual.