NFL 2013-14 Season

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 5, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Sign of a great team is pulling a game out of the fire when it should have lost, Seahawks stole one on the road in Houston, and go 2-0 away from the best home filed advantage in the NFL

This just in..That Peyton Manning fella is pretty good :roll:

2. SoCalJoe

Sean Payton is an amazing coach. In a unattended way his year long suspension had some great benefits. NFL coaches are runaway trains headed for burnout, so he had a chance to recharge his batteries. Add the mess that was the Saints season last year and there isn't one player, one team staffer, or one fan in New Orleans that doesn't know how important he is which makes everyone buy in to his message. Already 4-0 after shredding the upstart Dolphins last night.

3. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

That nice run comes to an end in Chicago. Beardown!

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Browns win again in a big come-from-behind victory over the Bills last night. :shock: Unfortunately it sounds like Hoyer tore ligaments in his knee so I dont know how long the team can go on getting wins.

Looks like Cleveland's management really wasnt giving up on the season, either that or they are more inept than we thought.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

But evidently mizzable in winter. Just saw mention of Manning's losing record in COLD: not pretty and Belichek KNEW it. So he took the Wind instead of the ball in the OT coin toss. Bill is not a guy I'd want to have 'Beerswith' but that is why the Pat's are a winning team.

Noteworthy: When you make a player out as more than he is.
    Robert Griffin III's little personal 'foible'
    Report: RG3 asked coaches to stop showing negative plays on film
    Un-be-freakin-lievable! How the HELL you gonna improve protection if you can't show the breakdowns on negative yard plays?!!!!
    And yes, there does have to be something to that.

6. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Yep Fog. Manning is terrible in 1) cold weather and 2) big games. I think it goes to show you that even with the preparation, you still need guys to have some emotion. Manning is a robot. Knowshon was the only one last night that was putting in the effort and ready to play physical. Same ol same ol now.

7. SoCalJoe

The playoffs are here and they started w/a comeback for the ages by the Colts in Indy. Down 28 in the third quarter and they came all the way back to hand Kansas City its' usual heartbreaking playoff loss (8 straight postseason defeats for the Chiefs). Andrew Luck has the "IT" that all the great ones do, and "IT" was on full display in the second half.

New Orleans got the monkey off their back by winning in cold weather by kicking a last second field goal in Philly. Now the Saints travel to my Seahawks next week.

Speaking of cold weather. The forecast in Green Bay for the Pack and Niners is Minus 5 with a windchill of Minus 30 :scared-yipes: Hope our resident Packers fan Sulley was smart enough to stay in Houston and not travel to Lambeau for this one. Pulling for the Pack, but the Whiners are the smart choice.

Cincinnati hosting San Diego in the first game today. Which Andy Dalton will show up for Cincy? Whether it's the good or bad one will determine the outcome since the Bengals have the better roster.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

With my recent record, I sure aint gonna even speculate. Just watch.

Also becoming somewhat a superstitious cynic..
    If Cincy wins there would be a good chance they would play the 'niners in the SB. Ordinarily that would be good, They beat Cincy in the 80's in 2 of the best SB's to that date. But niners LOST the SB last year, and that would make it a bad thing.

Also.. In Jan 1982, San Diego and Cincy played for AFC Championship, in the Freezer Bowl. Gonna get those 'Green Bay' temperatures here in just 36 hours.. What I call 'freaky' since it's been below zero about two days total in last five years.

As I write SD just scored, 7-0
    :roll:
    Ah, well. Got my spleen vented on FB. Cut'n'paste, here:

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Chargers and 49ers advance...cold weather this, media! As if the squads of those two teams are comprised of folks who grew up in only warm weather cities in California. It's such a fallacy.

11. SoCalJoe

Bad Andy Dalton showed up and what will the Bengals do going forward? Their roster is absolutely loaded on both sides of the ball, but if there is no belief in the guy pulling the trigger it drains the franchise and fan base (it seemed the crowd kept waiting for something bad to happen).

Typical Packer-Niner playoff battle w/Whiners winning it in the final seconds. Next week's matchup with Carolina will be a knockdown drag out affair.

With the Chargers winning it cost a Peyton Manning vs Andrew Luck and the Colts matchup next week (the covering networks execs had to be :angry-banghead: ) . Now they'll have to keep their fingers crossed and hope for a Manning v Brady showdown in the AFC Championship.

12. SoCalJoe

Great point Nev, Kaepernick started 4 years in college in Reno, which is basically in the mountains and played plenty of games in cold weather.

13. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

The cold weather argument is annoying and has no weight. I'm glad they're playing the Super Bowl in the north. If the league was truly concerned about cold weather effecting the outcome of games (especially playoff games), then they need to move the start of the season to May. I saw a hilarious article breaking down Terry Bradshaw's opposition to the Super Bowl in NJ. They took a bunch of his quotes and summarized that all of his "arguments" only supported the fact that he personally didn't want to be in NJ in Feb.

The network execs will (most likely) have a Manning vs. Brady/Luck matchup in the championship. Though they probably would have preferred Manning/Luck followed by Manning/Brady.

So three of the four remaining QB's in the NFC are not your typical pocket passers. Could this be the year that a running QB takes the Lombardi home?

I'm a New England fan and, with the team that they have left now, I'll take any Patriot victories that they can get. I won't be surprised if they're setting tee times on Sunday.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Pretty much how I have looked at the Pats this year, any win is just bonus after all the injuries. I am still surprised at how well they have coped without some big names.

15. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I was rooting for Kansas City (old family connection) and Seattle (lived there 5 years/had season tix thru my co). Thanks KC for giving me flashbacks to a cold January day in 93 where another (former) team of mine collapsed in epic fashion. So, Go Seachickens!!!

16. SoCalJoe

Traditionally the best games of the NFL season are played during the divisional playoff weekend.

NFC: New Orleans at Seattle. Bak, Bak, Baaaakkk! (that's my Seachicken rallying cry, just for you Matt). Can't pick against my boys, but wish Seattle hadn't already played and demolished the Saints like they did 6 weeks ago. This one will be much tougher, and the way the Hawks finished the season on offense is a big concern.

San Francisco at Carolina. Michael Crabtree coming back and being Kaepernick's security blanket has lifted the Whiners, and they look to be playing the best football of anyone in the league. Carolina with not only the week off, but San Fran had a tough game at Green Bay last week and now has to travel east and play at 10 am PST. All that said, think Seattle and San Francisco are on a collision course.

AFC: Indy at New England. The Colts have made a bad habit of starting slow on both sides of the ball the last 6/7 weeks of the season. They do that in Foxboro on Sat. and their season is over. The Pats will take TY Hilton out of the game, and despite their defensive injuries take the Pats to advance.

San Diego at Denver. King Kong is on the Broncos shoulders unlike any team in the playoffs. I'll take them to win, but San Diego isn't intimidated playing Manning and have already won a game in Denver this year. The Chargers have that 'playing w/house money' vibe, but expect a Rivers interception at the wrong time, Denver and New England and a week of Manning v Brady awaits.

17. nevzter

SF v. Seattle and Denver v. NE are likely to happen. And if so, "Oh boy!!!!!" (cue Keith Jackson).

18. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Denver (the city) is full of confidence this week. I'm just hoping we don't have a repeat of last year. IF Denver can somehow get past the Chargers, I think i have tickets to the NE game next week.

Panthers from that other conference. just because.

19. SoCalJoe

Couldn't ask for much more than the 2 match ups on Sunday;

AFC: New England at Denver aka Brady v Manning. Better enjoy this one because this is probably the last time two of the all time greats are leading their teams in a Championship game against one another. Been going back and forth on whom to pick. Denver blew a big lead at Foxboro earlier in the season. The Pats ran the ball great last week, but with Denver's best CB out they might air it out more. Will go with the Broncos in a nail-biter. Big key was last time they played Gronk was healthy and Julius Thomas was out, now it's vice versa.

NFC: In 37 years of being a Seahawks fan I've only seen the team get this far two other times (winning once). To say there is some animosity between the teams is a mild understatement. This is going to be as physical a game as there has been there all season. My head sees that the Whiners are playing better than any team in the NFL, and Crabtree coming back healthy has turned them around. The Hawks have lost Sidney Rice, and Percy Harvin has played basically 2 quarters all year and it doesn't look good for Sunday. The smart pick is the Whiners but to hell with that. GO HAWKS!!!!

20. nevzter

In honor of my son I must say: Let's go Niners!!!! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!

I agree with SCJ though, that the Niners v. 'Hawks will be a hard, real hard, hitting affair. I expect it to be a game not for the timid.