Next Fulham Manager

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Dec 23, 2007.

?

Who is your choice to be the next Fulham manager?

1. Glenn Hoddle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. John Collins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Martin Jol

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ray Lewington

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jean Tigana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Slaven Billic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Graeme Souness

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jurgen Klinsmann

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bracey

Bracey New Member

I've got to admit I'm a bit worried about all this......
    If the people we want don't want the job ,we are then left with the people we don't want, and I can see Souness getting the job due to a lack of credible compition.............................

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I just read the Jol article and it didn't contain any quotes from him thus it looks like some lazy journalism. I still want Collins but only with Tigana.

I've read all of the Fulham boards and no one manager will make every fan happy.

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Please not Souness.

4. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

A write-in vote for Van Basten, Fulham is in dire need of a drastic change in tactics.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Well that's certainly true. 8)

Van Basten is an interesting suggestion, but I don't see any reason why he'd leave the Dutch national team before Euro 2008, not to mention I could see him getting the job at Ajax if they're not happy with their finish this season.

Of the names that have seriously been mentioned, I guess Jol is the most likely to bring a drastic change in tactics, but I don't think he's a realistic possibility.

At the risk of thread drift - I agree with carolinafulhamfan that some sort of a drastic change is needed. With players that we have now and players who might reasonably be available in the January window, what kind of tactics would people like to see in the new year?

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I really could care less who the manager is just bring him in now! We should not wait for Lewington to screw things up even more.

As for tactics I have always liked the 4-3-3. I love attacking football and I think we have players that can do this. Play the ball on the ground and go at teams instead of waiting for them to attack you. With a forward line of Cook-Mcbride-Dempsey I think we could score goals and be exciting. Defense would be a weak point, but with a solid signing or 2 in the transfer window that can be solved.

7. Old_Bugger

Old_Bugger New Member

I think now it's a case of get somebody in and let them get on with it,we need so much luck to stay up now it's just not funny anymore.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I may have to rethink my choice of Collins. I think MAF is concerned [rightly] that we'd get zapped for "tapping up" if we sign him. I mean, he quits a good job the day before we fire LS? Everybody else might get away with it, but Lancaster Gate would have our asses in a heartbeat. So, I don't think we'll get him.

I just hope we get somebody. Soon. Who isn't named "Grahame." Or "Ray." Soon.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

Here's my real crazy-ass idea for who we should hire:

Bora Milutinovic.

Yes, I know the guy seems to burn bridges just about everywhere he goes, but we don't necessarily need to hire somebody to be our manager for the next 15 years, we need somebody who's going to save us from relegation now. And I think Bora's history shows that he can take a team that doesn't have the best talent in the world and find the right tactics and motivation to bring them further than others thought possible. He brought four different teams, none of them full of huge names (save for Hugo Sanchez in 1986) past the first round in the World Cup, and coached China to qualification for the first time ever in 2002. He's known as something of a miracle-worker, and that's what we need. Plus he's genuinely available right now without persuading some other club to release him from a contract.

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

that's an interesting thuoght jmh. he certainly has shown the ability to get the most out of what he's got. The only question is could he do it at the club level? He's show the ability to do it at the International Level, I wonder if MAF would even consider him having had no Club Experience...at least to my limited knowledge.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

No, one of the problems with Bora is that he hasn't had as much success at the club level as he has with national teams. (Which, I guess, could also be said for LS at this point, though LS has had success with one national team while Bora had success with five.) In any case, it wasn't a serious suggestion so much as an off-the-wall idea.

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Mike!

Where's the insider information??

You must have some spies who are reporting something. Inquiring minds must know!!

13. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

no kidding Mikey...awefully quiet over there!

14. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Graeme Souness, that would be awful. My choice would be Jol, I always liked him at Spurs.

15. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Jol has stated that he is not interested, so we need to look elsewhere.

16. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Sorry guys but as you can imagine, Fulham are being very, very quiet with this one. Which is a GOOD thing.

Once I know, you'll all know.

17. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Eye for Talent

Whoever we get, I just hope they can combine good managing skills with an eye for talent. It seems like for every good player that Cookie or LS signed, there were a bunch of bad ones. Looking back to the Tigana era, the bad signing I can recall was Marlet. But he brought in guys like Steed, Boa, Saha, Van der Sar. Let's get someone that can do that and shape what we already have into a side that wins at home, and be respectable on the road.

18. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Eye for Talent

Brian Hodgson has been appointed - see OFFAL.

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: Eye for Talent

wow...thanks Andy

20. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Hodgson is our Man!

I've been reading his bio on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Hodgson

and I have to say I'm impressed. This guy has a history of maximizing the potential of those teams he's managed. I'm excited about our future. Sounds like he will be given ample funds to do what he thinks necessary to keep the club up. I'm excited. :banana: