Next Fulham Manager

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Dec 23, 2007.

?

Who is your choice to be the next Fulham manager?

1. Glenn Hoddle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. John Collins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Martin Jol

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ray Lewington

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jean Tigana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Slaven Billic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Graeme Souness

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jurgen Klinsmann

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Let us know who...and most importantly, why.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I voted for John Collins -- after making sure that it wasn't Collins John.

Why? They say he likes fit players and flowing football. They say he doesn't like lazy players. They say he wants to play the ball out of defense ON THE GROUND, and then use wing play.

Also why? Bilich says he isn't leaving Croatia until after Euro2008 [for you Brits out there, that's a tournament that several European sides are involved in]. Jol has said he's not interested in taking over a club just before the January window. Tigana has Mo baggage. Souness has physical illness baggage. Hoddle has mental illness baggage. Klinsmann doesn't want to take sides up to Middlesboro or Sunderland when he can hang out in LA. As for Mr. Lewington, how many times do we need to see what happens to struggling clubs when their manager is replaced by an assistant? Wigan anyone? Bolton anyone?

3. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I hope it is John Collins and Tigana, but I vote for Klinsmann.

Fulham need to have a well-known non-English manager to be able to attract foreign talent to the club. Sanchez, sadly, impaled himself on his "British only" policy. As HatterDon often says Fulham's main attraction to talent is that it is in West London. Big time English players simply don't dream of playing at Craven Cottage, but foreigners probably care a lot less where they play as long as it is in the Prem and not in Wigan, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Blackburn, Bolton, Derby, or Portsmouth.

So ideally Fulham might should focus on building up a team of foreigners and Klinsmann could do this probably. He's overrated of course and would need help in actually coaching the team.

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I think it is pretty obvious who I like. Martin Jol will take us out of the relegation zone and buy nothing, but young foreign players and even English players if they are good enough. If he has money to spend the team would be in the top half every year and challenging for Europe. We need to stop buying british and start looking at Europe. British players are overpirced rubbish.

Yes I said that BRITISH PLAYERS ARE OVERPRICED RUBBISH.

5. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Jol is a quality Manager and a quality person - From what I am seeing tho - that is a pipe dream.

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Oh dear! It seems that Souness is keen on the job. If Mo wants us relegated he will hire Souness.

7. americanmike

My choice: John Collins w/Jean Tigana. Fulham needs to get a buzz about it and that would bring back the hype. Although a MAF/Tigana reconciliation is yet to be confirmed.

We actually sang two of Tigana's songs yesterday which brought back memories to my first ever Fulham match.

Also, as to show our faith, we sang Al Fayeds Black and White Army for about 60 minutes.

8. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Anyone but Souness. I would love Tigana back and that is who I voted for. Nothing will ever replace the excitment of watching us in 2001. We played the best football in the 4 professional leauges and Tigger knew how to find tallent. I don't want Collins unless he comes with Tigger.

Failing that I have faith in Jol or The Special One!

9. jmh

jmh New Member

I don't think they're all rubbish, but I do think they tend to be overpriced. The youth systems and scouting are so comprehensive all over the country that there's just no bargains in the transfer market where you find somebody that no other club else knows about.

My pick would be Jurgen the German if we could get him, but that seems unrealistic. Everything just seems to be lining up for John Collins to take over, and honestly the things I read about him make that seem like it's a pretty good option as well.

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

John Collins is the wrong choice. We need someone else. He will bring Collins John back from loan and then everyone will be confused about who to blame for the poor play. I know there is someone better.

When did Klinsman come up? If he didnt leave California for Germany why would he for Fulham?

11. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

manager

However unrealistic I voted for JK, I agree with the earlier post, just being a good coach or motivator does not matter much any more, you need a name, you need a manager who earns the immediate respect of the players, you need manager who is going to get noticed, a manager who is going to attract players who would otherwise not even look at Fulham.

Just look at the gossip columns every day, almost every team is in them but Fulham are conspicious by their absence. No body wants to come to the cottage if they want their career to go forward, and if they do and it does they leave, the premier league is now littered with ex Fulham players, apart from Brown at Wigan whose teams are in better posistions than Fulham.

Ray Lewington is probably a good coach and would no doubt make a good manager, but Fulham needs a massive shake up, and its rather like the Falcons in Atlanta Bill Parcells was offered the same position here as he eventually took at Miami, why is that, easy more exposure in Miami and nobody wants to be linked with a loser.

Fulham have always been considered the poor relatives in West London, even when we were in the 1st and Chelsea in the second, they still got more headlines, and thats what managers and players want these days, headlines, and someone like JK would get them, he as the least to prove of any of them, and if he failed it would not hurt his career, Jol, and Collins would be hurt for their future if they come here and fail.

Hoddle fits the bill as a name as does Venables, and McClaren, but we need that foreigner who would attract names.
    One thing that worries me though is the fact the successor as not been named, that gives me the distinct feeling they are giving RL a chance to prove himself, and that guy reid is still there, that worries me.

Anyway to all my fellow Fulham sufferes, have a great holiday season, and hopefully more wins in 2008.

12. jlough

jlough New Member

RE: manager

I would like to see a player's manager like John Collins or somebody with those qualities. I was an LS supporter, mostly because of the jackels who never give anyone a chance on the Fulham MB and not hearing anything negative from the players. However, Clint Dempsey's remarks after the Wigan match were quite telling. If he represents the players, there must have been some discontent with the style of play.
    After this kind of dissention in the clubhouse, if I am reading it right, the players will need someone who can bring them together and play a different style of football than LS played. Dempsey, for one, was not suited for the long ball type of game. He is not Brian McBride. The move back to right mid brought out his true quality, shifting Davies to the middle.
    Murphy also seemed to play with more passion and was a greater part of the offense. Boca was aggressive on set piece plays for the first time all year. All in all, I could see the continuation of Lewington who seems to be one the players seem to like.
    A player's manager is the best option after all that has happened. A firing the day before a three match stretch in eight days is very disruptive. If the clubhouse was falling apart then do it right after Blackburn. However, the level of uncertainty could create more problems considering that there will be players returning from injury, new players in the transfer window, possible dissension between LS players and those from the Coleman era. Perhaps we could also find out what happened to Smertin. I thought I saw his picture on a milk carton the other day. Come on Fulham!

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Good point. Take note all those supporters of limiting foreign players, in ANY league. They are international leagues, that need international talent.

And I throw my support behing John Collins, based on what Don's points were. If Collins gets it and fails, I'll blame Don.

Bilic was an interesting idea, and Marco Van Basten would also be a step up. West London, more specifically SW6, really should have someone with a bit of pinache.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not going to put down a favorite... but I have to comment on the Klinsmann vote.

Is that just a wish list.. or does anyone think it's possible? If Klinsmann didnt take LA, there's no way he's going to take Fulham.

15. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Yes, Klinsman is a wish list name but about half the names on the list look that way to me. Some we wish for and some that wish for the managers position.

16. Fern72

Fern72 Member

Klinsman is a dream, he will never ever come Fulham. John Collins looks to be the best choice. His attacl style is what we need. I really don't know what went wrong with Sanchez, but i think the blame does land squarley on his shoulders.

I just hope who ever gets hired gets us out fo this rut. We might not have the big name guys on our squad, but i dio believe we area talented team.

17. Old_Bugger

Old_Bugger New Member

It's got to be Jol,we have tried the cheap option and the risky option.We HAVE go with experince here or WE WILL GO DOWN.This is that serious and I'm am very frighting about the new manager if we don't get the right guy we are doomed and the time for playing safe and not taking any risks is now here.
    Make no mistake,if we go down we may not recover thats why we can not take any risk's.

18. jmh

jmh New Member

Take this with the appropriate grain of salt, but Tribal Football says Jol is the frontrunner.

19. Bracey

Bracey New Member

Hi all
    Just to keep you all updated The Times newspaper this morning says that Jol has withdrawn from chasing the new managers job.It says Souness and Venables have benn mentioned-o my god...............................

20. americanmike

It goes to show how desperate Souness is. He hates us and we hate him...he was at Blackburn the year both them and Fulham came up. He talked a lot of trash about FFC and how we were second rate...then we ran away with Div. 1 and beat them with 10 men.

After that, he went to Newcastle where we subsequently was fired after a semi-decent stint with them. I made the trip over from New York to see us play Newcastle at The Cottage and it was his last match. All the hammy end sang (after we took the lead of course) 'SOUNESS OUT'. Oh how times have changed.