News that makes you say "Duh!" 2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 16, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Rom-coms 'spoil your love life'

Once again Academia comes up with crap we all know if we just observe and apply common sense.

If your GF reads heaving-bosom romantic novels and/or incessantly watches 'Notting Hill' and 'Message in a Bottle'.. run away quick.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I love this quote:

What do you figure that people who hate those films ALSO often fail to communicate with "their partner." I bet that this is also true of people who eat food, drink water, and breathe air. A - MAZ - ING

3. pettyfog

"xenophobia-phobia"

On display right here:
    'These times?' I invite those with 'feelings' that 'we are becoming less tolerant' watch West side Story for just a hint on the truth of that.

'Xenophobia' or distrust and scapegoating of 'the other' has always been a fact of life and a human condition. It's not new, it's not unique, it happens everywhere but not as often.. considering population trends.

It's the national media focus on the short term singular anecdote that makes it seem so. You have to be of a certain age and have paid attention to understand that.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Well that is one of the dummest, waste-of-time studies I have ever heard of. I hope they dont call it "science". Same thing everybody said about fairytales 30 years ago, probably more.

Also, didnt like that they included Four Weddings and a Funeral" in there. That was one funny movie.

5. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

RE: Re: News that makes you say "Duh!" 2

Four Weddings is an excellent film and of course it is a fairy tale but I enjoy it anyway. I agree, the link points out the obvious, people DO take these films and their ideas of romance to heart and then create unrealistic expectations for themselves. I'm with Fog.....common sense and observation are all that is needed to figure this out..........unless you are one of those that is easily conditioned. Hmmm........who do I need to send this link to?

:wink:

6. pettyfog

Wimmin and 'Beer Goggles'

apparently they got 'em too. But they last longer

Seems to me that's based on a LOT of assumptions. The FIRST being that women look for those perfect features.

Arent wimmin supposed to be more perceptive of 'the soul within'?

Does that explain the lure of Mr Goodbar?

Could it be that many tee-totalers have unreal expectations out of life? Thus look for that adonis-like 'symmetry'.