new NFL head coaches

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by tac, Jan 6, 2005.

1. tac

tac New Member

As you probably know, dennis erickson got the sack and there are speculations that pete carrol at USC might leave to go to the niners which is ludacris!!!!!!!!!
    Are there any other coaches that anyone thinks are about to get "dismissed" from coaching???

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I have a feeling that Mike Martz amd Mike Homgren are gonna get the sack after the season. In addition, look for Jim Haslett to be looking for work. And my long shot is Mike Shanahan. He has done nothing in terms of playoff victories since Elway left. While the team is still making the playoffs most years, sometimes that is not good enough. We will see. The coaches carousel is always interesting no matter what sport.

3. tac

tac New Member

RE: Re: new NFL head coaches

i agree
    do you think that nick saban will be able to get something going at Miami or will he pull a steve spurrier and be like every other college coach that tried to coach in the NFL(eventhough saban does have experience in the NFL as an assistant)

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: new NFL head coaches

I do think Saban could get something going, but it all depends what kind of players are brought in to help the Dolphins. My philosophy on coaching is that no matter what kind of ideas and schemes you bring, uf you do not have good players playing for you, you will not get good results. Look at Tony Dungy. Before he became the coach at Indianapolis, he was regarded as a defensive mastermind. Which he might be, but the team is an offensive juggernaut because that is where all their good players are.
    Coaches bring a midnset to a team and belief. They do play a major role in teams success, but you need players to win, even if you have the best coach in the world.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: new NFL head coaches

I dont think Martz is going to go ...

It's no secret that good NFL coaches are hard to find and while he certainly stirs the pot, erm ..cauldron.. a lot, he doesnt do too bad on the bottom line with what he's got.

And sometimes a coach or manager has to be in the right place at the right time (hack, cough, fulham).

Who woulda thought Vermeil would have such a tough time at KC after the brilliant job he did with the Rams?

Then look at the Chargers.. who'da'thunkit!!!!

And you already brought up Dungy, the underacheiver and scapegoat at Tampa Bay.

6. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Re: new NFL head coaches

I agree with Pettyfog, Martz may stay. Although they may import an new defensive coordinator, they're only week spot was their secondary and you can fire all types of people for that. I do hower think he deserves it, he doesnt seem like a manager or coach for that matter, but he's a genius when it comes to breaking down defenses and throwing the ball at them.

I didnt think Vermeil would suck this bad after all the time he has spent with that team. The offense is brilliant but vermeil has all around skills as far as coordinating a defensive attack, or at least inpiring them to overachieve.

Schottenheimer saved his career, I thought they were a QB away from being good. Where did Drew Brees come from?

I think the Colts are a year away, if they dont trounce EVERYONE offensively this year. Dungy is a great coach.

Being from NY, I think we have two good teams growing.

The giants are 2 years from being super competitive if Coughlin eases up a bit. He's no Bill Parcells only because he has little credibility to back up his diciplinarian ways.

I love Herm Edwards...

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

You two are probably right in the fact that Martz will not get fired, but he just seems to make some bad decisions. Sometimes watching him coach the Rams is like me playing a football video game. Going for it on 4th down, throwing on 4th and inches, etc. His offensive prowess is unprecedented in the NFL and you are right, a new defensive coordinator needs to come in. I also think they need to turn the page a bit on Marshall Faulk. He can stay on the team, but hand the reigns over to Stephen Jackson. However, if Martz does get another year he needs to go deep into the playoffs next year as the Rams management will not accept anything less. His time is definitely coming to an end.
    There was a rumour here in Chicago if Martz did get the sack he would become the Bears Offensive Coordinator. I personally think that is wishful thinking.

8. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

That wouldnt be such a bad fit, and I agree with his performance next year, its deep in the playoffs or out.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Chargers are indeed the champs at finding the unlikely QB, going way back when they pulled their best ever from behind a bar.

Then there's Ryan Leaf (hack, ptuuii!) just to balance things out.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I do not know if Martz would actually take a coordinator job if he did get the boot. From what I hear and read, he has quite the ego and would more than likely want a job as a head coach. But, who knows.

11. cdubbs

cdubbs New Member

I am not sure Holmgren will get sacked. It will be interesting to wait and see.