Netherlands v. USA

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Mar 2, 2010.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The match is live on ESPN2/Galavision at 2:30 tomorrow [that's 1:30 TEXAS TIME].

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-Natio ... lands.aspx

We have a pretty close to full side. Missing Deuce, CD9, and Gooch will hurt, but Frank Simek is back in the squad. Spector has been getting an extended run at LB for The Cheats, so it'll be interesting to see if Bob puts him there. Edu is fit and scored the 90th minute winner in an Old Firm derby on the weekend. Can't ask for better recent form than that. Stuart Holden has become a starter for Bolton, and Donovan -- a screaming missed sitter aside -- has made a little bit of noise as well.

Not sure who we'll see for Holland, but I'm expecting the full crew.

Should be fun; it'd be nice to see us get another result in Europe. It's nice to support the RWB again without all that crap about "settling for silver" and "national medal counts."

USA! :banana: USA!! :banana: USA!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

2. jmh

jmh New Member

According to Yanks Abroad, Onyewu has been doing some light training with the MNT while they're in Holland. He won't be able to play, but it sounds like he's on the road to recovery.

Given that Bob has brought in both Heath Pearce and Jonathan Bornstein, it seems more likely to me that he's intending to give Spector and Simek each some time on the right. As far as I can figure, Spector has never played LB for the USMNT, at least under Bradley, and played exclusively RB during the Confederations Cup and the most recent WCQ cycle.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Looking forward to the match. I think Josh is correct that Spector will play on the right. My guess at a starting XI:

Howard
    Spector, Demerit, Boca, Bornstein
    Holden, Bradley, Edu, Beasley
    Donovan
    Altidore

I expect to see Pearce get a nice look after his last performance.

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Netherlands v. USA

Spector said in a Q&A with Grant Wahl today that he has played LB with the US like in one game, at the 2007 Gold Cup early on, but has played mainly RB with those two random games at CB in October.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Okay; somebody please explain to me once again, WHY BORNSTEIN? Has he suddenly learned how to defend over the MLS break?

Chees

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Tying goal that put us on top of CONCACAF, Honduran Hero. Okay maybe Bob shouldnt make decisions based on good youtube Hollywood moments but I can. I gots no problem with Johnny

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Christian, I couldn't watch the first clip for very long:

1. All that orange was bleeing out my screen
    2. I can only stand that Euro-techno-crappo "music" in doses of less than 10 seconds, and then only to drown out the sound of a dental drill.

But the SECOND video is another thang altogether. 99 days until we meet Engerland!

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Okay Bornstein scored the tying goal v CR, but he was directly responsible for the 2 goals the Ticos did score!! In all honesty, the guy would have a hard time starting in League 2. Not to pick on the guy because Pearce is no better, but anytime he makes a good play I'm totally shocked (which isn't the desired response)

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Bornstein also shut down Messi in the Copa America; so much so that he got moved to the other side. How many defenders can share that claim?

He's still growing and learning, but I have faith in the lad, against small, quick, skillful wingers. Pearce might be better against Kuyt though.

I think Holden gets the start over Beasley. EJ up top with Jozy and Donovan on the left. Edu & Bradley in the midfield.

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Yes, a very Dutch/Euro compilation, true to form. That said, they have some amazing players and amazing tactics in how they play. The Dutch may be a little queer, but stupid they are not.

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

my disdain for bornstein has waned over the past two years to the point i think he can offer something from the bench in that he can play cb, lb, mf, hot dog vendor, etc., but in an ideal world, he wouldn't start. given the injuries, i'm hoping bradley uses this match to test some players without regard to the scoreline - but i'd love to get a result today against those legalizing reefer, prostitution promoting, socialized medicine having, tulip growers.

usa! usa! usa!

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

when will ABC/ESPN realize that fans would like to know who is actually on the bench? They drive me nuts.

Anyhow, with as many as 6 subs allowed, EVERYBODY but Hahnneman and Simek are dressing.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You say that like it's a bad thing. :roll:

Here's my continuing bitch: when will ABC/ESPN realize that fans would like to know who is actually on the bench? They drive me nuts.

Anyhow, with as many as 6 subs allowed, EVERYBODY but Hahnneman and Simek are dressing.

15. nevzter

Context is everything - I was whistling Dixie whilst I typed!!

16. SoCalJoe

@&%#!!!!!! Holden gets his ankle hurt in the 30th on a crap tackle by De Jong. Who knows, but he ain't coming back to Bolton for awhile.

17. SoCalJoe

Oh and Bornstein SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. nevzter

That was rough - at least he hobbled off under his own power.

Bornstein is awesome - what a stupid fucking play.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It could have been worse; Bornstein could have given up TWO penalties. Can we please turn the page on this over-rated one-dimensional player?

Meanwhile, Donovan is trying out for the road company of The Invisible Man.

20. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

It's 2010, right? Because I swear this exact post was made in 2007.