Neil Young: Music can't change the World..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 10, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

After 40 years, an epiphany!

Well... as one who lived through, and benefited from, the drastic sixties...
    NO SHIT! :banana:

Despite evidence continually presented by popularity of Frank Zappa, the Grateful Dead and even the Who, it's only amazing that this made news.

Well, let's see.. who is it still thinks it can? No, the musicians putting on various world benefit concerts don't count. They know better, too.

My guess: Peter, Paul and Mary. And their fans.

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

There comes a time for responsible citizens to realize that you need a greater degree of political knowledge and commentary than what you are going to get in Rolling Stone. Not saying that you need to be in one poloitical party or another, but if Neil Young was really going to affect any change, he wouldn't be playing a guitar for a living.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree Steve, but playing guitar and singing [in a really crappy voice] is all Neil could ever do. I think it's to his credit that he attempted to make a difference as long as he did He could have done what so many have done, and just market himself to the top-40 charts, sell his stuff to the highest bidder, and get as much cash as possible before he went on the oldies circuit. If he had done that and avoided politics altogether, it probably would have made him more popular as well as richer.

I mean, there was a guy who was all about breaking down barriers, innovation, and pushing the artistic envelope in his 20s who, in his 30s, went to Hollywood and then to Las Vegas, and put out the same song over and over until the day he died -- all the while sinking deeper and deeper into a delusional universe surrounded only by yes-persons and aging groupies. And he is now the center of what is essentialy a secular religious cult. Unless I miss my guess, people will be celebrating Elvis Presley long after Neil Young is done and dusted.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thank you for the reference to Rolling Stone. It makes me nauseous to think about the number of times people have tried to discuss important issues with me while their only source of information is Rolling Stone. They tell me they trust it because it is liberal ( deciphered meaning = it is what I want to hear).

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yeah.... everyone knows the world's foremost authorities on current issues are Colbert and Stewart.

While Rolling Stone is for the 'purity of motive' type Continually surprised that politicians lie... err.. spin..err.. tell you what you want to hear to get elected.

Back to the topic... I just was watching Amy Winehouse on the Grammys. I'm waiting for her to endorse before I make my final decision. I mean she's is really a FANTASTIC SINGER!

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

LOL

To really get back on topic, has Neil ever stopped to think that it might not be a good thing if he or some other singer could change the world with one song.